Use of Metaphor and Descriptive Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
When and where should you use metaphor and descriptive language? Is there a such a thing as having too much descriptive language? When is simple language better?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'll respond first.

I hate descriptive language. If anyone ever accused me of having "purple prose" I'd probably start punching things until there was nothing left to punch.

Personally, I'm all for letting the reader compose their own environment. Unless it's a plot point, who cares that the hero had clear blue eyes? Does it matter that the heroine had tresses like waves of honeyed mead?

Of course, I'm too weak on my describing as a direct result of this. So my opinion is only worth so much :)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a such a thing as having too much descriptive language? When is simple language better?

You can describe your scene as long as you don't over do it. ^_^ Only describe when it's necessary.

It's okay to describe a kitchen or a bedroom, or a character. But it is NOT okay to describe something that the reader already knows about. Like German Sheperds.

Overdescription means the reader describes so much material to the point that not only to stray away from the plot but also takes over and ruins it for the reader who wants to visualize things on their own.

Oh by the way. Don't describe chewing!:D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Without looking it up, I'd define PP as needlessly overblown and melodramatic word or phrase choices that obscure rather than enhance what's going on.

-Derek

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
How do you define purple prose?
A matter of degree. Many people would consider the following purple prose; I would disagree. I would call it deliberately evocative of a mood, a tone Durrell wished to establish, a mind set for the novel and the city it portrays.

"In the great quietness of these winter evenings there is one clock: the sea. Its dim momentum in the mind is the fugue upon which this writing is made. Empty cadences of sea-water licking its own wounds, sulking along the mouth of the delta, boiling upon those deserted beaches - empty, forever empty under the gulls: white scribble on the grey, munched by clouds. If there are ever sails here they die before the land swallows them. Wreckage washed up on the pediments of islands, the last crust, eroded by the weather, stuck in the blue maw of water... gone!"

Justine - The Alexandria Quartet, Lawrence Durrell

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
it has been studied and proven in communication studies that one of the best forms of persuasion and understanding is a metaphor.

use them whenever possible to bridge a gap in understanding. It is one of your strongest communication tools - especially for understanding, persuasion and evoking emotion.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Then just say chewing the reader knows what chewing is.:D

The reader already knows what the sea is. Yet I (mostly) enjoyed rugcat's post.

(It got a little over the top for my taste, but I'm able to recognize that it's just my taste and that the writing itself wasn't awful.)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
What if they chew like a cow? Or take a dainty nibble as if they are afraid the food might bite back? Or only eat on the right side of their mouth, the cheek on that side of their face bulging like a chipmunk storing food for the winter?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Then just say chewing the reader knows what chewing is.:D

To add to Birol's question: what if, say, the texture of the food the character is chewing is relevant? Or if the character's jaw clicks while he's chewing something during an awkward moment? Or if the character stuffs food in his mouth? Or if the character counts the number of times she chews something before swallowing? All of those things may shed light on the story.

As always, my stock answer is "if it works, then it's correct."

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To add to Birol's question: what if, say, the texture of the food the character is chewing is relevant? Or what if the character's jaw clicks while he's chewing something during an awkward moment? Or if the character stuffs food in his mouth? Or if the character counts the number of times she chews something before swallowing? All of those things may shed light on the story.

As always, my stock answer is "if it works, then it's correct."

Then describe the texture. If anything happens then just say it.

What if they chew like a cow? Or take a dainty nibble as if they are afraid the food might bite back? Or only eat on the right side of their mouth, the cheek on that side of their face bulging like a chipmunk storing food for the winter?

Then say it, just don't describe the chewing. Say it as a metaphor or a simile.

T

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Then describe the texture. If anything happens then just say it.

This could be considered telling. While not always wrong, just saying it, might also take away from the characterization, the pacing, or the story.

Then say it, just don't describe the chewing. Say it as a metaphor or a simile.

Why do I get the feeling you're repeating something you've read or been told without fully understanding what it means? ;)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This could be considered telling. While not always wrong, just saying it, might also take away from the characterization, the pacing, or the story.

Why do I get the feeling you're repeating something you've read or been told without fully understanding what it means? ;)

This is hard. -.-. My head hurts.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
My personal preference has always been for clean, simple writing. Now a good metaphor can nail something exactly, make it come to like in a way that the most detailed description won't. But overuse can interrupt a story, no matter how clever the metaphor.

A brilliant metaphor is likely to resonate with a reader, but it also can take that reader out of the story -- the very fact of appreciating the writer's skill and depth makes the reader aware there is a writer operating behind the scenes. The "invisible" writer is the one I want to emulate -- the unobtrusive type that tells a story so seamlessly that you forget you're reading a book.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
My personal preference has always been for clean, simple writing. Now a good metaphor can nail something exactly, make it come to like in a way that the most detailed description won't. But overuse can interrupt a story, no matter how clever the metaphor.

A brilliant metaphor is likely to resonate with a reader, but it also can take that reader out of the story -- the very fact of appreciating the writer's skill and depth makes the reader aware there is a writer operating behind the scenes. The "invisible" writer is the one I want to emulate -- the unobtrusive type that tells a story so seamlessly that you forget you're reading a book.

Although, to be contrary, I sometimes like when a writer says something so wonderfully that I step back and go, "Wow, what a clever beast!" Even if it makes me realize there's a writer behind the pages. I feel like I've connected with the book on a new level.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
{A lot of people say things like that after talking with me.}

ETA: I have faith in you, Blue. You can get this.

Yeah, you're right. Of course I can. It'll take a while but I'll get it. After all, there are people in this forum who taught me well. :D

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Rugcat. Unless there's a reason the author chooses to reveal themselves, something that serves the story being told, then the author should remain invisible to the reader.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
My personal preference is somewhere in the middle between sparse and descriptive. Saying that, in my first drafts I always go over the top on description. My WIP I'm editing at the moment - I think I caught simile-itis. Seems to be one in every sentence!

When reading I'm the same though, I love description, especially if it adds a little detail that, while it fits in perfectly with the setting, I would never have thought of myself (if that makes any sense), but I agree you can get too much, and it can be too flowery for my tastes at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.