Becoming a tech writer?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear technical writers,

I've been looking at (well, staring in the face of) a career change, and I'm in the IT industry. As it happens, I love to write, and I believe I do it well.

I have no background in technical writing. But I love to write, and I believe I do it well.

What advice would you give to someone like me?

Gratefully,

poetinahat.

Deleted member 42

Start writing procedures/technology stuff on a blog. Do it seriously.

Start reading current tech books of the sort you're interested in writing.

Come up with a book proposal for a book that doesn't exist, and submit it to the publisher you'd most like to write for. (N.B. some don't pay as well as others; some are pretty awful to work for, but heh, it's paying work).

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Pretty much what Medi said.

If you work for a tech company, talk to the tech writing folks there. Also ask your manager if there's any internal engineering documentation that needs to be done.

One of the greatest assets of a technical writer, aside from the communications skills, is the ability to learn new technology/information fast, then turn around and teach it. So if you're background allows you to do that, you're halfway there.

RockiesFellow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forest-to-foothills.com
Dear technical writers,

I've been looking at (well, staring in the face of) a career change, and I'm in the IT industry. As it happens, I love to write, and I believe I do it well.

I have no background in technical writing. But I love to write, and I believe I do it well.

What advice would you give to someone like me?

Gratefully,

poetinahat.
I made the switch from software engineer to technical writer a few years ago. It's not really a huge leap. Depending on the size of your company, you may be able to change roles internally.

The main difference between a software engineer and a tech writer is that the former writes stuff that a computer will understand, the latter tries to understand that stuff and describe it in words a normal mortal will understand.

Be warned though that tech writing is pretty undervalued as a profession in IT, after all, we can all write english, can't we? ;)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Be warned though that tech writing is pretty undervalued as a profession in IT, after all, we can all write english, can't we? ;)

However, if you're lucky enough to get into a company (or series of companies) that values tech writing and you're good at it, it can be very lucrative.

Think beyond IT, too. I've written everything from banking procedures to upgrading residential electrical meters to how to configure routing protocols on large-scale routers (like the ones in Telco central offices) to how to use ultrasound scanners.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone - I'm most grateful.

Yes, I have a background - a MS in Computer Science/Operations Research, and twenty years in the industry.

I might have made my question clearer: I'm looking into technical writing - as in manuals, documents, etc. - not necessarily writing about technology. I found a job lead for a tech writer, and thought I might enjoy it more than my current job stream.

One thing I'm getting here is that I should do things that interest me, build a portfolio, and generate opportunities out of that. And that's where I'm headed... thanks again!

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Coming from a non-computer-related technical writer field (I first wrote for fire testing and currently write for an industrial/assembly field), it's important that you be willing to get your hands dirty. Not only will this endear you to the "grunts" doing the assembly work, it will give you hands-on instruction as to what it takes to put something, not just a program, together.

In addition to the vocabulary, the ability to write, the ability to communicate knowledge and instructions in a clear and concise format you'll need skills in photography, editing, formatting, and sequencing of documents and documentary language, maybe some skills in film-making, a "director's eye" (for photgraphy and videography), the patience of a Saint, the ability to work with engineers, scientists, and assembly people, the ability to endure criticism, and most importantly, maybe, the ability to accept that your boss will inevitably want things worded his way no matter what you try to do.

In other words, a technical writer often will feel like saying "If you want it worded your way, write it that way and I'll just type it up for you." no matter what you do.

Like I said "the patience of a Saint".

Trust me, I LOVE my job, but there are days...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks, Greg - that's what I thought a technical writer's world would be like. As an analyst, I've often been expected to write designs *without* being allowed access to code or documents; getting hands dirty would be a delight!

And yes, I'm well used to higher-ups insisting on their own solutions, disregarding all research and recommendations. So I'm either unfazed or battle-hardened, depending on how one looks at it.

Every time I see poorly written instructions, I think, "this would be much clearer if it said, . . .". And every time I mention wording and hear someone say, "it doesn't matter", I . . . well, you know.

It's the skill set (experience, tools, accreditation) that I'm particularly curious about -- and, like any work, I imagine it depends a lot on the industry and the position, so the thing to do is talk to people and look at job ads.

Thanks again, everyone!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I've just gotten an interview for a business analyst position, and the company has asked me to write a sample business functional specification. It's the sort of thing I've done for years, and I'm going fine with it - except that I have no idea how much detail they want; the brief is very high-level.

Anyway, it's an opportunity to show my stuff.