Character Age Issues

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshthenormal.wordpress.com
I'm writing a YA novel--I'd call it contemporary/realistic non-genre--about an 18-year old named Trevor who sets out on a road trip the day after he graduates from high school. He sets out from Illinois and drives over to North Carolina, where he meets a 19-year old girl named Josie and another guy whose name is Jesus. (Jesus will be either 18 or 19; I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards the latter.) The problem is that I'm not sure if they're too old for YA fiction. I quite dislike the label "new adult," and it's also much too incipient to apply even if I wanted to, so I don't know if I should knock down the characters' ages a bit or not.

The novel's essentially supposed to deal with the interpersonal relationships between the three characters, but also with Trevor's rocky relationship with life, so in a sense a coming-of-age story, I suppose.

Thanks for reading.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a YA novel--I'd call it contemporary/realistic non-genre--about an 18-year old named Trevor who sets out on a road trip the day after he graduates from high school. He sets out from Illinois and drives over to North Carolina, where he meets a 19-year old girl named Josie and another guy whose name is Jesus. (Jesus will be either 18 or 19; I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards the latter.) The problem is that I'm not sure if they're too old for YA fiction. I quite dislike the label "new adult," and it's also much too incipient to apply even if I wanted to, so I don't know if I should knock down the characters' ages a bit or not.

The novel's essentially supposed to deal with the interpersonal relationships between the three characters, but also with Trevor's rocky relationship with life, so in a sense a coming-of-age story, I suppose.

Thanks for reading.

1. "YA" can stretch to the summer after high school. That makes total sense.
2. Why do you dislike NA? If it's because of the common "YA with erotica" complaints, those seem to be mostly growing pains and something which - esp. now - agents seem to be going majorly against, disliking the whole connotation. I'm querying right now and A LOT of agents are actively seeking New Adult. There's also a strong emphasis on "New Adult, not erotica." The people in the right places dislike this whole air around it and are working hard to disconnect NA from its "beginnings." It's like saying YA is only Mary-Sues in paranormal love triangles.
3. NA being "incipient" actually...works...in...your favour? It gives you a gap in the market that has to be filled, esp. as there have been - hopefully unfounded (!) - talk of YA being over-saturated. Six months ago, perhaps not, but now? Perfect timing. I've seen tons of NA floating around Query Letter Hell, in #PitchMad and, best of all, agent wishlists.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Genres and age categories are there to help sell books. Not liking new adult as a term doesn't seem like a good reason to change the ages. I'd find it a bit weird if any of my older teens/young twenties stuff ended up in new adult too... but if it sells the book, it sells the book. The content of your book won't change because of the label.

However, I'd be inclined to query as young adult and let the agents decide if they want to new adult it. But that's just me.

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
2. Why do you dislike NA? If it's because of the common "YA with erotica" complaints, those seem to be mostly growing pains and something which - esp. now - agents seem to be going majorly against, disliking the whole connotation. I'm querying right now and A LOT of agents are actively seeking New Adult. There's also a strong emphasis on "New Adult, not erotica." The people in the right places dislike this whole air around it and are working hard to disconnect NA from its "beginnings." It's like saying YA is only Mary-Sues in paranormal love triangles.
3. NA being "incipient" actually...works...in...your favour? It gives you a gap in the market that has to be filled, esp. as there have been - hopefully unfounded (!) - talk of YA being over-saturated. Six months ago, perhaps not, but now? Perfect timing. I've seen tons of NA floating around Query Letter Hell, in #PitchMad and, best of all, agent wishlists.
I'm not opposed to the NA genre at all--I just wasn't sure if that was what I'd want to label what I'm writing. But I see what you mean, and I'll take it into consideration. Thanks very much! ^^

Genres and age categories are there to help sell books. Not liking new adult as a term doesn't seem like a good reason to change the ages. I'd find it a bit weird if any of my older teens/young twenties stuff ended up in new adult too... but if it sells the book, it sells the book. The content of your book won't change because of the label.

However, I'd be inclined to query as young adult and let the agents decide if they want to new adult it. But that's just me.

You're right, and thanks a lot. Both of you helped quite a bit.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I'm writing a YA novel--I'd call it contemporary/realistic non-genre--about an 18-year old named Trevor who sets out on a road trip the day after he graduates from high school

Y'know, I knew quite a few people in my graduating class who didn't turn 18 until a couple weeks after they graduated, so if 18 feels a bit old, maybe you could make the protagonist have a somewhat later birthday.

But personally, I don't think they're too old for a YA story.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
You should keep in mind that your readers are probably going to be 2-3 years younger than your main characters--like 15-17ish. Since that's solidly within the category of YA readers, I'd say you're fine, but you might also have the option to market it NA too if you want.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Your character is already driving, so you'll have to have him at least 16.

I agree with Ink Goddess in that you can stretch YA that summer between, after high school and right before college.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Kiddos read up. They read about characters older than themselves. I think that's recognized as a standard in the genre. In my opinion, the age of your characters won't hurt it as YA. The main difference between YA and New Adult seems to be more about content that specific age of characters. New Adult deals with themes and subject matter that is more adult, like sex, drug use, etc.
I don't write YA though, so I could be wrong. I'm basing this on what the kiddos I worked with liked to read.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
For the record, I didn't turn 18 until Oct after I graduated my husband in November so yeah some kids don't turn 18 for months after graduation. But some turn 18 months before. I don't think 18 is too old, just don't make their birthdays late in the year (unless they were held back a year) if you're going for YA. That being said I don't see anything wrong with NA either.
You're kind of in the middle ground. You could make your character 17, still after graduation and be firmly YA or age them and make it firmly NA. Or stay where you are, call it what you want and let agents/editors decide where it best fits.

I have a feeling this was a very unhelpful answer. Sorry.:Shrug:

Last edited:

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think I'll have the MC either have just recently turned 18, perhaps a few weeks before graduating, or maybe still 17, but I think I'm sticking with the former.

Everyone's suggestions were helpful, thanks!

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Much of contemporary YA I recently read deals with this last summer and the transition from high school to college.

You're right in the middle of the genre with your character and his trip.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
The novel's essentially supposed to deal with the interpersonal relationships[...]so in a sense a coming-of-age story, I suppose.

You've nailed a basic theme of YA.

And as others have said, that period of time before college (if college is even a factor) counts as YA. Age is just one of many things that'll categorize the novel as Young-Adult.

Sounds like it'll read as YA to me. There's some mature YA stories out there. This'll be fine.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say stay true to your story and characters. If they're pretty much already fully formed as 18-19-year-olds, that's who they are and that's that. :)

And you could always query as a "YA/NA crossover contemporary novel" or something like that. ;) Presumably, your query would already state the MCs age, so you can let the agent or publisher make the call as to what they want to market it as.

Also, I may be way wrong, but I predict that in a year or two, we're going to start seeing all the genres for NA that we currently see for YA--meaning that it will no longer be implicit that NA has to be romance and/or relationship-focused. Think about it: All the kids that are reading YA right now, are growing up and are likely to start looking for books with characters whose ages and experiences they can relate to more easily. That's just my theory though...:Shrug:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
You can also graduate at age 16 if you skip a grade. Have one of them do that, but he/she doesn't want to mention it to his friends as it's embarrassing...

You know, being so smart you jump from Grade 2 to 4. And yes, I knew kids who did just this. I also had students of my own, if they moved to a diff. state, were placed in a grade ahead and skipped Grade 7 or 8.