The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyMehl

Re: The Old Story Again...

Oh, my. I see that some PA authors really believe that PA will change its policies if enough of them push for it.

Sigh. Been there, done that.

Forget it.

Nancy

www.nancymehlbooks.com

DeePower

Library refusing to take PA book

It's a fact. Our local library gratefully accepted gift copies of our two books published by John Wiley & sons. And then refused to accept a gift copy of our PA published book. I was told I would have to go to central purchasing in the main library for permission. I made it clear that the book was a gift, I wasn't asking them to buy it. I also told them they had copies of our previous books. Still the answer was no.

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

keltora

Re: Authors market

Concerning libraries...

I am a librarian (Yes, I have a soft spot for that line from "The Mummy"), and I am the person they turn to when collection development needs advise about small press, vanity, etc.

We get a lot of PA books. For some reason, there are a lot of people in this area who think PA is the perfect solution (though I have tried to educate them) to their publishing needs, and they don't seem to understand why we turn their books down. There is one local author in particular who has taught classes and tells people that PA is the best place to get published, and the local writer's guild buys into this dog and pony show because most of them are writing stuff too local to get published mainstream.

This, of course, is why I do not belong to the local writer's guild. As a fellow writer and I both noted, they want to talk about being writers, but they don't really want do the work required, and so they are always looking for shortcuts to publication.

There are no shortcuts.

Our main reason, of course, is that we look to add books to our collection that have some permanent value (as permanent as you can get, considering that you do have to weed a collection from time to time). To this end, when we get a vanity, self-published or PA book, we mainly look to see whether or not we think it will be an asset to the collection. Of the thirty or so PA books I have had thrown in my direction in the last year, I have advised collection development to accept one, and only because the author was local and had actually written a mystery novel with a local historical setting, and had clearly done her research. However, because the writing in the book was not exactly--up to standard, we decided that instead of adding it as a circulating book, we would put it in the archive section as "work by local author with historical value."

From my own point of view, having worked so hard to sell my last six books the old-fashioned way, I am not terribly fond of anyone publishers who assume there is one born every minute that they can fleece.

And yes, my own small press books are in the library collection here (and elsewhere, I have learned), but not because I work here. My writing career has had to be kept separate from my work as a librarian (the former director here was much opposed to me drawing any sort of attention to my writing even on my own time, and used to actually threaten me if I told anyone I was an author--problem was, I kept telling the papers, and they kept writing about me :) ).

I just happen to be published by a press that takes returns...

My two cents...for what it's worth.

keltora

Re: PublishAmerica

***From my own point of view, having worked so hard to sell my last six books the old-fashioned way, I am not terribly fond of anyone publishers who assume there is one born every minute that they can fleece.***

Let me rephrase that. What I meant to say (and I should edit before I post, I know;) ) was that having worked so hard to sell my last six books, I am not terribly fond of anyone who seeks the shortcuts, and I am certainly no supporter of publisher who assume there is one born every minute that they can fleece...

:coffee Need more caffeine...

arainsb123

"You'll find that unless a book has been cataloged by the Library of Congress, and reviewed in a major venue (Library Journal, Kirkus, Booklist) that libraries either won't or can't purchase it."

I emailed my county's library Web site and they purchased 10 copies of both of my iUniverse books to disseminate through the libraries. Needless to say, my books aren't in the LOC or reviewed by any major venue.

keltora

I would be tempted to ask if your book with iUniverse had a local setting? And the size of the library system.

:coffee

KW

How much does PA make per book

I can't figure this out. Anybody know? If I go buy what they say then they make $1 per book. I tried to figure this out using what they say.

1,000,000 (books)/ 4 (years) = $250,000

250,000/ 15 (guess at how many employee's) = $16,666 for four years.

16,666/ 15 = $1,111 per year

Does this seem right to you guys? Did I make a mistake again Jim? Is PA lying about how much they make or are they not paying their employee's minimum wage?

Then again I could be wrong.

Kevin

KW

Duhhh!

I just proved myself wrong. Ignore the last post.

$1 x 1,000,000 = 1 million dollars is what they made in four years. But I think one dollar is a bit on the low side of what they make from each book.

Kevin

lindylou45

Re: Duhhh!

$1 x 1,000,000 = 1 million dollars is what they made in four years. But I think one dollar is a bit on the low side of what they make from each book.

The authors get around $1.00 a book - They (PA) get over $9.00 a book.

Now do your math - I think you'll find it's quite a bit different.

arainsb123

Re: The Old Story Again

The books didn't relate to my county, or even state, at all. There are about 15 libraries in my county.

arainsb123

Re: Thanks for the info

Wow. No responses in an entire day. Could it be that the PA thread is finally dying?

Impossible! We have to reach 100 pages first :).

DaveKuzminski

That's the way I've always heard it should be

Nope. Just means that PA is busier than before trying to monitor an extra board to find writers to ban. Once they ban another, we'll be busy again welcoming the writer and sharing information.

KW

Duhh!

They told us that they only get a dollar profit from each book sold. The rest they say they use to pay the staff, printers, etc.

Kevin

lindylou45

Re: Duhh!

They told us that they only get a dollar profit from each book sold. The rest they say they use to pay the staff, printers, etc.

With all the other lies they've told, I'm not sure I'd believe that one. :shrug

KW

LS

I emailed LS about the number of books they have printed of mine and they said I could only get that info from PA. Guess the only way any of us will find out the numbers is to go through legal channels.

Kevin

lindylou45

Re: LS

I emailed LS about the number of books they have printed of mine and they said I could only get that info from PA

I got a nasty email from PA telling me not to contact LS or any other distributor because they provide that information twice a year.

August is almost over and I've heard nothing. My contract doesn't say the first week in September, it says August. They have three days.

DaveKuzminski

Heard It Through the Grapevine

If LS isn't willing to share that information, then share what PA gives you with LS and ask them to verify the numbers. Otherwise, it looks like the only other recourse would be to go after PA and include LS in the suit.

Sher2

Re: LS

<August is almost over and I've heard nothing. My contract doesn't say the first week in September, it says August. They have three days.>

I'll bet you anything that they don't mail those checks out 'til the 31st. If they don't and authors don't have checks in hand by the end of the first week in September, then everybody needs to start screaming bloody murder.

Risseybug

poor child...

read THIS thread. Sounds like her brother caught on quick, but this poor deluded child is stuck with PA.

They published TWO books by this 15 year old?? Not that people that age can't write anything worthwhile, but I assume her parents had to sign the contract. I guess they didnt't read it! I am just shaking my head in disbelief.

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/5638.htm

Sher2

Re: poor child...

<read THIS thread. Sounds like her brother caught on quick, but this poor deluded child is stuck with PA.

They published TWO books by this 15 year old?? Not that people that age can't write anything worthwhile, but I assume her parents had to sign the contract. I guess they didnt't read it! I am just shaking my head in disbelief.>

That's astonishing, Risseybug. I'm familiar with the 15-year-old "Horselover" from reading the PA boards and have wondered all along about it. I, too, wondered what life experience a 15-year-old could have to base writing not one, but two, novels on. There are, of course, young prodigies, which may explain it. And I assume that her parents would have had to sign the contract. (Although you never assume anything with PA.) I was struck by the fact that this child (if she is, in fact, a child) writes with a higher degree of literacy and reason than many of those she replies to.

Ed Williams 3

Something interesting....

...our good friend Mr. Marcus' web site has been down for a couple of days. May mean nothing, then again, may mean something. Check it out:

www.hbmarcus.com

:shrug

DaveKuzminski

Re: Something interesting....

Almost makes one wonder whether it has anything to do with a recent posting by HB that PA suggested he take his writing elsewhere, but he declined. Sounds like some politics going on over there in the background.

lindylou45

Re: poor child...

I love Randy. He's so confrontational and doesn't give a flying fig what anyone at PA thinks. He's hilarious! :ha

Status
Not open for further replies.