Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
517 words today. Finding it hard to stop editing as I go. Have to keep reminding myself this is only a first, rough draft.

Anyone have any good tricks to switch off the editing part of your brain?

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
517 words today. Finding it hard to stop editing as I go. Have to keep reminding myself this is only a first, rough draft.

Anyone have any good tricks to switch off the editing part of your brain?

Muse, I find getting up early and writing first thing is pretty good for that. I get up so early for my writing sessions, my internal editor isn't awake yet. I get quite a lot done before she realises...

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Muse, I find getting up early and writing first thing is pretty good for that. I get up so early for my writing sessions, my internal editor isn't awake yet. I get quite a lot done before she realises...

You know, I might try that. Makes sense :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I edit as I go, too. I try not to do it too much, but I write scenes and then rewrite half of them the next day rather often. I also keep a list of major changes to fix at the bottom of the document, though, which helps for things I don't feel like fixing yet. Stuff like "Add in more descriptions during the bomb scene" and "change it so this person says this" and so on. It helps me remember what needs to be done so I don't worry about forgetting. It's especially helpful when I decide to add in scenes and things later on. I can just throw out a note saying what the scene needs to have and worry about adding it on the next draft.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been pondering what's been holding me back from writing and I think I hit on one of the issues:

I'm abominably lazy.

No, wait, it was another one... There are two instances in the WIP where my MC behaves exactly as I would in her situation. And that's the problem. I didn't allow her reactions to come organically (or even in a well-thought-out manner); it was "Well, what would I do in this situation?" And that's what I had her do. Totally alien to her character, and I think it hung me up for a while. So I'm going to go back, rip out those two sections, and redo them. One's a small detail, but the other's a big defining moment. Here's hoping it helps. ::crosses fingers::

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to edit or not. This WIP is just not working no matter how much I try. Right now I'm going with the 'soldier on' approach to see if eventually I can get it on track then go back and fix, rather than stopping again to try to fix it now.

Cheated a bit on word count. I pasted in a load of words from the earlier draft, about 3,000 words ish, but the WIP did go over 10,000 today because of this.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
I go back and rewrite or edit when I know I've reached a dead end or got something important wrong, because otherwise I struggle to keep going and it feels off-key.

When it feels right I rush ahead of myself but often the text then is clean enough and I'm on the right track.

This thread has become the carrot to my inner donkey -- I don't let myself come here and read until I have a word count to report.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I did go back and redo those sections. Wrote a bit, too, not sure how many words, but just a few sentences here and there. I think it's smoother and more righter now.

This thread has become the carrot to my inner donkey -- I don't let myself come here and read until I have a word count to report.

Good! :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1131 words today, and I owe Shara a great big hug because I tried her idea of getting up just before the sun and writing actual words.

I don't know how many I wrote, but I came back up this afternoon and revised and edited and I have 1131 left and they're pretty tight words :) All "zippy and saleable", as Marya would say.

I think they'll be staying. :D

So - Shara - this is for you :Hug2:

Last edited:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oooh, that sounds like an option. I must try that.

278 words today, and everyone of them hurt.:mad:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
1131 words today, and I owe Shara a great big hug because I tried her idea of getting up just before the sun and writing actual words.

I don't know how many I wrote, but I came back up this afternoon and revised and edited and I have 1131 left and they're pretty tight words :) All "zippy and saleable", as Marya would say.

I think they'll be staying. :D

So - Shara - this is for you :Hug2:

Aww, thanks McCardey! So glad it worked for you!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
3115 typed up from all those pages I hand wrote earlier. Time for some new stuff.

Marya

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday afternoon with green tea and 400 words so far, none of them up too much.

I made the mistake of drafting out a non-fiction 4 000 word funding proposal before I got to the fiction and couldn't switch brain hemispheres.

Were you up before the French sparrows or alouettes again maccardey?

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided for May that my goal be to write two shorts--of any length--and a novella. I've got an idea brewing and I'm near sure I won't be able to cram it under 7,500 words.

So, altogether, I guess my goal is somewhere between 17K-30. :D

Also, I've dipped into screenwriting, but that's not really related to this thread, so I won't mention that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Namatu!

280 for me today between gardening and grading. I started something new. :eek: I always feel really uncertain about beginnings (they always seem silly to me), so I'm not sure if any of those words are any good, but they're there, in a brand new file and everything.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Were you up before the French sparrows or alouettes again maccardey?

I was :) and I've done about 300 words so far. Time for lunch - well done everyone. Kaitie - good luck with the new one. :Hug2:

Wordcount - nice little task you've set yourself! I'm impressed!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wordcount. That's a great goal you've got!

kaitie, go, go go!

Yesterday was looking like a bust, but once evening set in, the words figured out what they needed to do. Four handwritten pages.

Marya

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shorts, novellas, screen writing -- Word Count, you're on a roll!

Early risers get in those extra 300, maccardey!

Swopped over to my short story about a dinner party in the Welsh Marches to which an unexpected guest brings along an African tokolosh. Edgy fantasy. I only made a few changes, probably rewrote about 1 000 words or so, but teh story is taking on a more compelling shape.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is doing well on their word counts.

I managed 1670 over the weekend. Two scenes at the nappy stage and one ready to be born. (Can anyone tell I was baby sitting over the weekend?:D)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I can balance out the 'doing well' - I'm -10,000 today. Starting again (again) but this time I really actually do think I have it sussed. Plot was wrong, characters were wrong, pretty much the whole thing was in a mess. Hoping to get a few words done on version 4 tonight.