Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Forget the editors and agents. Is there such a thing as an effective display site where you can develop a readership.

I've sold an e-novelette [to be published in 2011] and now have to learn how to promote the thing so I can sell some.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Grump, I'm awfully sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm going to port you off to the Roundtable for wider viewing and hopefully some kind person there can help!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If you've sold publication rights to your novelette, presumably you don't have the legal right to post it on a display site.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Display sites tend to be about people voting on stories so that they get return votes. It's not really about people looking for new authors. You'd be better off working on other promotions (maybe guest blogging for some people, etc). If you write shorts, getting those published can bring people in (make sure you include your website or blog link in your bio).

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Parametric ... I'm just trying to build a "fan base/potential readership" for the e-novelette when it's published in 2011. I'm in the process of learning how to do it.

Thanks, Polenth. If display sites are a waste of time, it saves me a lot of research. So far, I've got my Half-Elven url nailed and am working on artwork. Oh, and writing related short stories which might later be gathered into an e-pub.

Hey, anyone. I'm open to all ideas. I know I'm a computer idiot and have tons to learn.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
A few ideas for you on building a readership:

Start a blog specifically related to the e-novelette. Will it be expanded into a novel someday? Are there related stories that could be told with the same characters or world? Put teasers or promos or other tidbits on the blog.

Print up some postcards or flyers and hand them out or make them available to local writing conventions or the like that are related to the genre of your e-novelette.

Register a facebook or other social media site in a related name and use that.

Post links to the blog or to the manuscript in all of your forum signatures and in your email signatures.

There are plenty of more tactics, but that's a start, I guess. Be proactive and persistent, but also try not to get so caught up in marketing this one book that you don't start writing the next one. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.