• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Movable Type Management (formerly Movable Type Literary Group)

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, Jamie. I have another question. You said you sent a query letter, but his submission policy calls for ten pages and a one page synopsis. Is that what you did? Like most of us, I think, the word "synopsis" sends shudders down my spine!

And while I'm at it, great luck on your full. I won't try him until you have time to answer about the query letter or the pages.
Still Alive

Still Alive, I sent a query with the first ten pages and a synopsis as per what was on publisher's marketplace. He wrote back the same day asking for the full. hope that helps.

and jamie B...thanks!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he works with YA fiction because it seems that in his post on publishersmarketplace that he works alout with non-fiction. I dont want to submit a query if he doesnt work with me genre

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
History gal...it's worth a shot. i don't stress too much about what people say they want. He looked at my middle grade urban fiction. I figure if they like your story and think they can sell it, they don't really care about what the category is. Go for it.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
History gal -- I only sent a query and the first ten pages when I queried Mr. Ashlock, (didn't see that he also asks for a synopsis, which I also have) and I categorized my novel as YA.

He thinks the novel is not YA, (I've had other writers recently telling me it's quirky literary fiction), but it didn't seem to matter as he liked it anyway.

If I were you, I'd query him -- it can't hurt, right?

Em

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations, Steampunk! : )

What wonderful news, that he's going to call you. I hope it's THE call!

Em

Em, I hope so too. But he said "we'll talk in a week or so" and I can't help but think that an agents notion of a week or so is not like a mortal's notion of a week or so! So, i'm trying very hard to be patient. I had an agent last summer but she folded...there was actually a whole thread about it here (phenomenon/pamela trayser) it was pretty heartbreaking to think I had gotten close, so this time I'm trying to not get too hopeful.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Steampunk,

I hear you. I've been close a few times also. You learn to keep your feet on the ground and to stay realistic as the process wears on, still hopeful, yes, but it becomes a more reserved kind of hope. It's about the only way to stay sane.

Still hope it all turns out wonderfully for you.

Em

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You learn to keep your feet on the ground and to stay realistic as the process wears on, still hopeful, yes, but it becomes a more reserved kind of hope. It's about the only way to stay sane.

I couldon't have put it better myself!

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As someone who has come close twice, I couldn't agree more...it's hard not to get excited, but at the same time, you realize until you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy.

and sometimes when you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy. Especially if you take a chance, like I did, and go with a new agent, who then has a massive emergency in her family that forces her to close her business right when you were finally done with 6 months of editing and about to send your ms to publishers.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
and sometimes when you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy. Especially if you take a chance, like I did, and go with a new agent, who then has a massive emergency in her family that forces her to close her business right when you were finally done with 6 months of editing and about to send your ms to publishers.

Oh, no Steampunk! That's terrible.

With my adult novel, I didn't have it to that extent. Agent was about to sign me and then she retired for family medical reasons.

a.vij

Registered
Reaction score
that's terrible, steampunk and juneluv... but best luck with mr. ashlock!!:Hug2:

stillalive, i sent my query with the first ten pages pasted in, no synopsis, on 1 July, I heard from him exactly two weeks later with a request for the full. yipee!! but he's been sitting on it for two weeks now and i haven't heard from him and am going crazy because of the waiting...

btw, horsebackwriter, my novel also falls into that YA/quirky literary fiction bracket, since it's meta fiction that has as its MC a sixteen-year old... best luck!!

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
that's terrible, steampunk and juneluv... but best luck with mr. ashlock!!:Hug2:

stillalive, i sent my query with the first ten pages pasted in, no synopsis, on 1 July, I heard from him exactly two weeks later with a request for the full. yipee!! but he's been sitting on it for two weeks now and i haven't heard from him and am going crazy because of the waiting...

btw, horsebackwriter, my novel also falls into that YA/quirky literary fiction bracket, since it's meta fiction that has as its MC a sixteen-year old... best luck!!

a.vij....stop thinking about it. two weeks is nothing. it's going to be more like three months before you hear anything. just keep querying and more importantly keep writing.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to read about both your experiences. I can't imagine getting *that* close agent-wise and having it fall apart. That must've been devastating!

Also, it caused me pause, because obviously you hope once you sign, at least THAT part of the process is a done deal, and it's on to the next rung.

At the least, I hope you take away from it the fact that you both must be pretty good writers, to have that much interest in the first place. Thank goodness there's a lot of agents out there. It sounds like it's only a matter of time.

a.vij -- the whole process is definitely a lesson (BIG lessons) in patience. Whoever isn't good at it, learns to be due to necessity -- there's plenty of time to learn, too, lol.

That's why the wisest advice (and that which will preserve your sanity) is to start your next book. Redirect your passion into the next project, because it's always the current project that is the most consuming.

Good luck with your submission!

Em

a.vij

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the sage advice, steampunk and horsebackwriter! i should probably take up yoga or something! my first time through this whole querying business, and i just had no idea when i'd first begun writing how long this could take. in any case, this being my first novel, i'm probably going to realize a year from now how much it really stinks...

*sighs, looks up at god to whine some more about the unbearable slowness of everything*

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Well, I got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock yesterday, but let me tell you, he sent me the best letter I've gotten to date from an agent. He even suggested a few other agents to query. This man is a gem! Good luck to all who have projects out with him!

a.vij

Registered
Reaction score
sorry about that JamieB.

i received a, well.. i don't really know what i received... he liked the book, he has concerns though, but he's interested in working through them so... a little yay!

as for the letter, it was the most beautifully worded letter that i have received from an agent thus far, so i hear you JamieB! the letter contained references to such a varied group of authors and such good solid advice...
yeah, the man does seem a gem and i hope something good comes out of this. i'm dizzy!

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Ashlock requested a partial from me today, less than ten hours after sending my query. The research I did on him just led me to wonder "Why the hell didn't I query this guy sooner??" He seems like an incredibly good agent with a great track record. I have yet to hear a negative comment by anyone about this guy.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
What email addy do you guys use for Mr. Ashlock? The one listed on AQ? I tried sending a query back in May, and it bounced back as undeliverable...

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
[email protected]

I just got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock today on my partial. Bummed out about that, but it was probably the best rejection letter I've ever gotten. He gave me some hints on what I can do to improve my opening chapters and said he would be interested in seeing my mss again if those changes are made.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
[email protected]

I just got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock today on my partial. Bummed out about that, but it was probably the best rejection letter I've ever gotten. He gave me some hints on what I can do to improve my opening chapters and said he would be interested in seeing my mss again if those changes are made.

Which is a good thing! After reviewing what he had to say, and if you think it's valid, you know you have the option to resubmit.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, he was a theology student. That is so cool! Sounds like a class act. :)

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, a.vij!

So sorry, JamieB.

I submitted my full July 23rd, and I'm still waiting to hear back -- although I'm used to the waits, by now, and have 2 new WIPs to keep me busy.

Em

Moost

Is not my real name
Registered
Reaction score
New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
Mr. Ashlock has had my full for about two weeks now. Through my contact with him I've found him to be very approachable and personable. Took about ten minutes for him to respond to my query and first chapter. Does anyone have an estimate on his wait time for a full?

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Is he a no response = no person? I sent my query a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet and everyone else seems to have had a quick response. Yes, I know a few days is nothing in the publishing world, I'm just paranoid about those electronic gremlins. :)