Writing a query for 2 authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have an experience in writing a query for a non-fiction book written by 2 people? For instance, on the cover page, do you put both addresses, or just one? And what about the "About the Author" section, so you write a couple of paragraphs on each person? I have never seen any guidelines for this situation.

And what do you do when neither person has an prior publications to her name? The last time I did any serious writing was probably in college....and I know there's a part of the proposal where you are supposed to tell the reader about all of your published works. This reminds me of the old catch-22 about trying to get your first job, and you have no work experience, and how can you get experience if you don't get hired? :)

Thanks for any insight on this topic..

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I would put the contact information for both authors, and if you have agreed that only one will handle correspondence with agents and publishers just put "preferred contact" in parentheses behind that person's name.

I would do a short bio for each person (emphasis on short).

If you don't have any publishing credits, you need to use this section to tell the publisher why you are the right people to write this book. You should to highlight your expertise or professional experience concerning the book's topic, and any connections (professional organizations, hobby organizations, classes you teach, seminars you give, etc) that you have to audiences that would be likely to buy your book.

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
Tish,

Thanks for the very valuable information. Now we just need to get that query and proposal done! I am chomping at the bit to get the query out, but I think we really need the whole proposal complete first. I'd hate to get a nibble on a query and then make them wait 3 weeks for a proposal back in return. That is, of course, assuming we actually get a nibble....

Mischa

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I think you will write a better proposal if you do it first and don't feel rushed. You only get one shot with each nibble, so you need to make it your best effort.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have a book with three editors including me. We identified a corresponding author but asked all emails to be cced to all three. This seems to work fine...

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
I have five published (non-fiction) books. The world of co-authoring is quite new to me, and my experiences are all different. I've finished one book with a woman who's not written anything but letters to the editor and articles for very local newsletters. With another co-author, who has published a few academic articles, I have outlined and structured and we're just starting to write. Another woman who's done a children's book has asked me to work with her on her first non-fiction.

In the first case, the query letter mentions both our names but comes from me. For the second book, we have an agent who e's and mails mostly to me but copies my co-author with e-mails (as I do). In the third case, my co-author's mostly dealing with it, though I've done a couple of the follow-up e-mails.

Your agent and/or publisher should always know about and have contact information for your co-author, but I think it's alright for correspondence to be between one author and the agent/publisher -- so long as the corresponding author copies the co-author with everything. It's on the contract(s) that you want to be sure credit is given as agreed between the authors. (I have had one publisher tell me that it's "too hard" to put more than one author's name on a contract, and this is patently ridiculous.)

I think the most important thing is to have a solid understanding, probably in writing -- in letters or e-mails that make mutual agreement very clear, if not in a formal contract -- with your co-author(s) or co-editors, so that questions of how much work each party does and how payment is distributed is not a source of confusion or conflict later on.

Ashleen

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
Ashleen

You bring up some very valid points, such has having some agreement in place between both authors, divvying up the responsibilities, etc. Thanks for taking the time to add your insights.

Of course, all of this is fairly moot if my co-author and I don't write anything....I went to a talk at my local library by several published authors, and some made reference to potential authors being intimidated by the whole process of submitting queries/proposals, etc. Right now, I am so chomping at the bit to take that on, excited even, but we just don't have anything worth submitting yet. I am ready to get out of the starting gate, but the horse is still in training. I have 3 young kids and haven't found the right niche of time during the day to be un-interrupted by one or the other of them. Maybe if I just set my alarm clock an hour earlier, I can get up and have a little quiet writing time....

Mischa

Status
Not open for further replies.