What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to catch up on some YA sci fi, in the last week I've read:

Forgotten Door by Alexander Key - loved it, much slower pacing than today's ya books, also a little moral-y

Bunker 10 - Was a quick read but so reminiscent of Ender's Game I found it annoying. Also one of the characters was supposed to be "ghetto" but his language was annoyingly inauthentic and distracting. Still, a fast paced, fun read.

Magnificent 12, The call - fun book, more MG than YA, I would imagine, even though our library had it in the YA section. The mc is 12, and the language is a little sillier. Also find it super ballsy to write a book about collecting 12 "magnifica" and only find two. He's basically guaranteeing himself at least 6 more books.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I read 'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham the other week. I didn't realise they'd made a film of it. They've renamed it 'Now is Good' and it stars Dakota Fanning (sporting a British accent) - it's out in the UK towards the end of May (not sure if there's a US release planned yet - IMDB doesn't list one).

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
I don't know why they've retitled Before I Do to Now Is Good, but that's me.

I'm currently just finishing White Cat by Holly Black and then I'm starting on Judy Blundell's Strings Attached :)

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Chocolate War right now. Beginning was good, but it's getting a little slow. Hopefully it'll pick up.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I read 'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham the other week. I didn't realise they'd made a film of it. They've renamed it 'Now is Good' and it stars Dakota Fanning (sporting a British accent) - it's out in the UK towards the end of May (not sure if there's a US release planned yet - IMDB doesn't list one).

I don't think I could watch a movie version of it. The book was gut-wrenching enough.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could watch a movie version of it. The book was gut-wrenching enough.

Agreed, though I always did think it would make an excellent film. I hadn't realised they'd filmed it either.

Nothing against Dakota Fanning, who can be a very good actor, but couldn't they find a Brit to play a British role? (The same argument that came up when Renee Zellweger played Bridget Jones, for example. Or Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors, Shakespeare in Love and Emma. Actually those two were able to do convincing accents.)

ETA: Kaya Scodelario (ex of Skins and the adult Cathy in last year's version of Wuthering Heights) is playing Zoey. A little too old, I'd think. The film has a US PG-13 rating, so presumably will be getting an American release of some kind somewhen.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
A little over halfway through DEAD END by Jason Myers. This would make a kickass movie.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion, which is a 'grown up' zombie book rather than YA, but it got a blurb from Stephenie Meyer (if that means anything to anyone) and I have to say that I thought it was incredibly good and something that teens would probably get a lot out of - particularly if they've read Daniel Waters zombie series.

I've just started an ARC of THE KILLABLES by Gemma Malley. It's another YA dystopia, which is an area she's got good form in (having written the award-winning THE DECLARATION) and it's set in The City, whose inhabitants have all had a form of lobotomy to remove the 'evil' part of their brain. I'm finding it a little slow to get into, mainly because there's a lot of front-loading of exposition to explain the society and how it got to where it is and I'm also a bit worried by the obvious love triangle that's being hinted at because I hate love triangles. But Gemma Malley is a wonderful writer, so I'll be interested to see where it goes.

MM

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Finished CINDER and it was okay. Have to admit, I would probably have loved it much more sans the Cinderella elements. The world building was awesome, I would just have liked the whole thing to go a bit deeper and key components of the plot be less transparent and predictable.

Reading Lauren Oliver's PANDEMONIUM right now and it looks like I'll like it just as much as I did DELIRIUM. :D

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished DEAD END. utterly depressing but I can't stop thinking about the romance. Really tragic and beautiful. I loved them.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my ARC of THE KILLABLES by Gemma Malley and it left me very meh. I don't know if I'm just YA dystopia-ed out or what, but this book (the first in a new trilogy) never came alive to me and the main characters of Evie and Raffy were such idiots - arguing about their relationship instead of thinking about how to stay alive while the love triangle with Raffy's brother Lucas was icky when you realise that Lucas is 12 years older than Evie. It doesn't help that Raffy is such a petulant twunt of a character, having hissy fits and showing a possessiveness of Evie that bordered on psychotic. The story itself is a standard repressive society, leaders keeping secrets blah blah blah and it all just fell apart at the end so that I lost interest. I was disappointed actually because Malley's first trilogy (which made her name) was another YA dystopia so I had high hopes for this. Shame.

Have started THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff, which I'm enjoying because of the pervasive sense of wrongness but it is incredibly slow to get started.

MM

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Digging into Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins. Wanted something fast and fun while I don't feel well that doesn't get in the way of this moving thing. This one's a little darker than the previous two titles, but still elicits plenty of chuckles (and a guffaw or two).

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I think it is MG rather than YA, but I'm going to mention it anyway because it is AMAZING. Raider's Ransom, by Emily Diamand. I'm actually reading it aloud to my son, and usually when I read aloud I notice every slightly awkward sentence etc-- and I swear, there's not one in this book. Truly fabulous writing, characters, setting... And my son was raving about it to his grandparents last night... "We're reading the BEST BOOK!!! It's sooooo good!" And it really is.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Started The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer a couple days ago, and I'm just kind of pulling my hair out and asking myself, why why why? I'm 2/3 of the way through, and I honestly don't know where the plot is in this book. I like the LI at first, but now even he's getting kind of boring. I'm told that something really weird happens soon so I'm just kind of holding out until then to see how WTF it can get.

E. B. Pike

Registered
Reaction score
Legend by Marie Lu

I just finished Legend by Marie Lu last night.

LOVED it.

It would definitely appeal to anyone who liked The Hunger Games.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Also Known As Rowan Pohi, about a kid from the bad side of town who creates a false identity on a whim and scams his way into a fancy expensive prep school. It's amazing so far, and I am just waiting for the shizz to hit the fan for him. My only complaint would be, I think it's too short!

Status
Not open for further replies.