Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus7

Getting the hang of it all
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pit. Haven't caught up on everything yet but just wanted to say Happy New Year to everyone!

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) (((Kellion))) - but yay! on the new/old job, hope it gets better.

(((Red))) are you over the sickness and back at work?

Muted Happy New Year to all pitizens. Though, by the looks of things, it isn't exactly starting out great.

...half the Pit is sick and half-dead and being rejected. I'm thinking of calling it the So What's New Year.

Indeed. 2012 isn't pulling any punches on my end either. Notification that I didn't receive yet another grant and a partial rejections today. Dog had to be taken to the doctor for mysterious large lump. How sad is it that my choices are now hoping it is a hematoma instead of c? Now we wait for a week and see what happens.

*sigh* Yeah. This is why I get so annoyed by everyone who says luck has nothing to do with it.

....I swear, the gods made me a writer to teach me patience. (But it's not working.)

Agree with the luck thing and I feel that I too am lacking in patience and can't seem to learn this virtue.

Cat, congratulations!

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
{{kelli}} Any chance you can get some writing done on the job?

{{ao}} So sorry about the grant and your dog. Sucks to have to wait a week to hear back.

{{Teri}} I think luck and timing go hand-in-hand, no?

Anyone still have holiday stuff and/or tree up? I keep looking at everything saying, "I really should pack all this stuff away...tomorrow." Sigh.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone still have holiday stuff and/or tree up? I keep looking at everything saying, "I really should pack all this stuff away...tomorrow." Sigh.

I usually try to take it all down New Year's day because I'm totally sick of it by then. we have a lot of stuff and the kids help put it up but never want to take it down. My son, who wants all good things to drag out as long as possible, negotiated with me that if I'd leave the tree up til the week after New Year's, he'd help me take it down.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Cat, I keep up my XMas stuff until January 6th, which is Three Kings Day, or Dia de los Reyes in the old country (it's a Latino thing).

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Le sigh. Snappy, the waiting is torture. TORTURE I say. I'm wondering if eds used the break to read mss or if they put all their mss aside and will start reading them again sometime this week, or do they read during the week? Maybe they read on the weekends? Lordy I don't even known anymore. All I know is that I'm getting antsier and antsier. Sigh.

Oh yes, this! So much this!

*sigh* Yeah. This is why I get so annoyed by everyone who says luck has nothing to do with it.

I swear, the gods made me a writer to teach me patience. (But it's not working.)

And this and this.

(((AO))) Poor puppy. :(

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
(((Red))) Sorry you are back at work but glad you are feeling better.

We normally keep our Xmas stuff up until the Feast of the Epiphany too, Steve. This year the city we live in decided they would only pick up the trees on the Tuesday after New Year. So late Monday night we picked everything off the tree. But that was as far as it went (meaning that there are ornaments strewn around my living room with long tangled up strings of lights). Now it all needs to be packed up. Tomorrow indeed ;)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Our Christmas stuff is still up, will come down this weekend. We leave it up til January 6 too. When I was a kid, though, we didn't put our tree up til Christmas Eve, and then we left it up all through January.

Hugs to Octavia on the rejections and the pups.

At my new/old job, I had a long meeting with the woman who's leaving, and she confirmed to me that my new/old boss is harder to work for than ever and the project she had me working on yesterday that seemed pointless IS pointless, and that everyone else is letting her do it and then planning on ignoring it. Oh well.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
((ao)) ((teri)). I hate rejections. FIE upon rejections.

Kell, that sounds rough. A worker's time is precious and shouldn't be wasted on pointless projects...and on top of that, hard to work with bosses are absolutely the worst. Good luck to you!

A lot of people on my block still have their outdoors Xmas stuff up, but that's because it's so cold, it'd be hard for them to try to take it down. I'm sure they're waiting for warmer weather.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly, how frustrating.

We never put up decorations this year. I figured there was no point since we'd be traveling so much. It made me a little sad, but the clean up was much easier. ;)

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Teri- I will not shoot you, but I will apply for you to the voluntary self-induced coma program I'm thinking of starting.

red- eeps on the full. I'm awaiting one, too, and not expecting much.

Speaking of, I got a full request today. I'm amused at how I'm in no rush to get it out.

My Christmas tree came down because the cats said so.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The cats see the Christmas tree as a big ol' toy anyway.

I've never been a decorations guy - the owner of my place put a wreath up, I feel that shows adequate deference to Christmas.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Red, glad you're feeling better. And glad I have a FB friend who posts as many doggeh pix as me. :D

Now that I'm the psycho dog poster, we need dog smileys!

Indeed. 2012 isn't pulling any punches on my end either. Notification that I didn't receive yet another grant and a partial rejections today. Dog had to be taken to the doctor for mysterious large lump. How sad is it that my choices are now hoping it is a hematoma instead of c? Now we wait for a week and see what happens.

{{{AO}}} Boo for rejections of any kind. Fingers Paws crossed for
pupper.

Lessee....7 more days of work and then vacay. It's gonna be a looooong seven days, but I just *may* get 10k written whilst watching the ocean ebb and flow around me. That would put me 10k from the finish line which conceivably could happen by April. Best not to get my hopes up, though.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, I hope you do get lots of writing time.

I'll volunteer to take down the Pit holiday decorations.
*kicks broken ornament bits under the couch*

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Or people who think they're the cat's meow because they got lucky.

Can you stand a quotation from JA K0nrath? He says you have to keep on writing until you get lucky.

I like when successful people say humble things. Like MA saying literary prizes are a crapshoot. Or Am@nda H0Ckings saying, sincerely, "I am grateful to all the people who read my books, even the ones who hated them and gave them 1 star reviews."

As opposed to successful people saying, "Obviously my success is because I'm so much better then everyone else."

If' I'm ever successful and I say anything which is not humble wil you all please shoot me?

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catching up...((Teri)) ((Roly))

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
((AO))

Cat I still have my x-mas stuff up too *blush*

*reads Cricket's post* *Imagines writing by beautiful ocean with no distractions* *Is jealous*

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

Muted yay, on the upcoming vacay, Cricket

Well said, Teri

Red, don't forget one of the Pit sayings--You can leave The Pit, but The Pit will never leave you.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I ever leave the Pit? So much safer here.

Yes. Save for the hellhounds, I feel so much better here. Ironic, no?

Red, glad you're feeling better. And glad I have a FB friend who posts as many doggeh pix as me. :D

Now that I'm the psycho dog poster, we need dog smileys!

Dog smileys? Challenge accepted!

Red, don't forget one of the Pit sayings--You can leave The Pit, but The Pit will never leave you.

All hail our Overlord. Wise words. Wise words.

It's Thursday which is a day closer to Friday and a day closer to the weekend. This is the best I've got.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a busy hour. I now have 20 editors reading my books.

I am really learning a lot. I know you all disagree with this but I believe within 3 years, almost all of you will have joined me in be-your-own-agent-camp.

Don't hurry to join me, though. Seriously. Stay where you are as long as you possibly can. It's the only way to appreciate my side of the fence. If you jump over here too soon, you won't appreciate it. (ETA I suspect you need at least 3 different agents to submit your work for you before you can appreciate this side.)

Any encouragement and I'll tell you what I'm learning . . .(none of it will surprise my fellow pitizens)

Hints:

#1 rule: There are no rules.
#2 rule: Don't believe anything anyone tells you (which, I suppose ironically includes me)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.