• Total voters

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Okay, let's up the quality a little further. I see your Neil Young thread, Rob, and I raise you a Pink Floyd thread.

Best album by the best band of all time?

I tend to fluctuate between The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here, depending on my mood, but I think that, ultimately, I'd go for The Wall. It's a towering acheivement. Stunning music, great guitar solos (especially Comfortably Numb), and lyrics to challenge the greatest of poets.

(PS, first time posting a poll - might go wrong). Seems to be ok.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...so it's the second-best album?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like parts of Dark Side and Momentary lapse of Reason but my all time fav start to finish is The Wall. As for the movie I watch that and in some parts think dang maybe I should have been smoking what those guys were when they made this

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Props to you, Ageless.

poetinahat, giving respect where it's due. (And listening to The English Beat's I Just Can't Stop It)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was hard to choose between Animals and Wish You Were here. I had to go with the one I was addicted to longest (Animals).

Best PJ Pink Floyd cover: Interstellar Overdrive.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to listen now..torn between three.
I'll be back in a day or so...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, let's up the quality a little further. I see your Neil Young thread, Rob, and I raise you a Pink Floyd thread.

Best album by the best band of all time?
Abbey Road.

No, wait, what were you asking?
I tend to fluctuate between The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here, depending on my mood, but I think that, ultimately, I'd go for The Wall. It's a towering acheivement. Stunning music, great guitar solos (especially Comfortably Numb), and lyrics to challenge the greatest of poets angsty teenagers.

(PS, first time posting a poll - might go wrong). Seems to be ok.

Most of the pre-Dark Side stuff was heard in retro for me, though I did hear a couple things such as Astronomy Domine on "FM underground radio" before DSOTM came out.

I think the "best" album would be a "Best Of" that includes I dunno what all exactly, but certainly both parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" back-to-back, as well as things from Dark Side and The Wall.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I really struggled with this one. I used to listen to Pink Floyd all the time.
My all time favorite has to be Wish You Were Here.

I think I listened to it most.

(though I love a lot of their other work, too, that one just spoke to me the most.)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ummagumma. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. We were about ten deep in my dorm room on a rainy Saturday night, all the lights (except for the black light, natch) off, passing around a spliff, and the album was on the turntable. The next cut up was Careful With That Ax, Eugene. Very mellow tune, and we were all grooving along, when suddenly THAT guitar solo came up: loud, raucous, and sounding exactly somebody dying. With a curse and a crash my roomie knocked over his chair and tore out of the room like his hair was on fire, flapping his arms and screaming like a ten-year-old girl. The rest of us fell over laughing. Good times...

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the Classic Albums program featuring Dark Side of the Moon, and thought one of David Gilmour's comments was interesting. After putting so much into the album he said he wished he could just put his headphones on and listen to it from beginning to end, as if he'd never heard any of it before. He knew it was a monumental achievement but, being so close to the work through the process of its creation, he was never able to enjoy the kind of sublime discovery that so many of us experienced the first time we heard the album in its entirety.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I think the "best" album would be a "Best Of" that includes I dunno what all exactly, but certainly both parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" back-to-back, as well as things from Dark Side and The Wall.
No way. A 'best of' Pink Floyd would be the three albums I mentioned, and maybe Animals, back to back. Nothing else would do. It would be like picking your favourite author and making a 'best of' book by throwing in the best chapters from his entire library.
The smallest unit of Pink Floyd music is not the track, but the album. All of them are far greater than the sum of their parts, imho.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
No way. A 'best of' Pink Floyd would be the three albums I mentioned, and maybe Animals, back to back. Nothing else would do. It would be like picking your favourite author and making a 'best of' book by throwing in the best chapters from his entire library.
The smallest unit of Pink Floyd music is not the track, but the album. All of them are far greater than the sum of their parts, imho.

What he said.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
we dont need no educasion is claassic.
Very much realate to the songg.
And I suppose it shows ;-)