Holiday YA

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
In line with a YA novel idea I have, I'd be interested in recommendations for YA novels involving holidays. Not really family holidays, with teens going away with their parents, but holidays they have with friends, maybe a group of friends, or with one other person (friend, sibling, boyfriend/girlfriend) or even on their own. Inevitably the teenagers would have to be older to do this, seventeen or eighteen, maybe in the latter case in the summer before going away to University/College.

I've written and had published one short based on an Interrail I did in 1989 (with the two protags named after two regulars in the YA forum - I haven't told them ;)) and another, also published, based on my first visit to Poland in 1991 (overnight coach from Dunkirk there and back) and I was thinking of ideas for YA novels based on the same, not necessarily using the same plots and characters. So I would be interested in any examples of YA novels along these lines.

I guess this would include novels set in gap years nowadays. I'm not sure how many people Interrail these days. When I did it (you had to be under twenty-six) I met people from many different nationalities, and not only Europeans - I met Americans, Asians and Australians as well.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
DANGEROUS GIRLS by Abigail Haas -- a group of friends go to one girl's vacation home in Aruba. Bad things happen. It's really good.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... there are a couple of travel books I read/heard of in the last few years. What I immediately thought of was 13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES by Maureen Johnson. Girl travels from country to country, following the directions she receives in letters from her aunt.

I haven't read JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman yet, but I know that it starts with the MC travelling in Europe. I don't know if she keeps travelling or if she goes home after a few chapters.

SECOND CHANCE SUMMER by Morgan Matson has the family going on holiday together, so probably not what you're looking for... hmm...

AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR by Morgan Matson is a roadtrip book. Does that qualify as a bit of a holiday? :D

oh oh oh! Just remembered: FLIRTING IN ITALIAN by Lauren Henderson. A couple of friends go to... yep, Italy. ;)

WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard. A girl travelling alone. There was a pretty cool blog going along with this book around its publication date... but I can't find it now.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

Help out a poor American kid -- you mean holidays as in vacations, right? Not like New Year's and Valentine's?

Yes, sorry I do mean holiday as in vacation. How Brit-centric of me.

Hmm... there are a couple of travel books I read/heard of in the last few years. What I immediately thought of was 13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES by Maureen Johnson. Girl travels from country to country, following the directions she receives in letters from her aunt.

I haven't read JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman yet, but I know that it starts with the MC travelling in Europe. I don't know if she keeps travelling or if she goes home after a few chapters.

SECOND CHANCE SUMMER by Morgan Matson has the family going on holiday together, so probably not what you're looking for... hmm...

AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR by Morgan Matson is a roadtrip book. Does that qualify as a bit of a holiday? :D

oh oh oh! Just remembered: FLIRTING IN ITALIAN by Lauren Henderson. A couple of friends go to... yep, Italy. ;)

WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard. A girl travelling alone. There was a pretty cool blog going along with this book around its publication date... but I can't find it now.

Yes I'd say a roadtrip would count. That reminds me of a YA I have read, Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole, who used to post here as "elissa".

Kirsten Hubbard used to post here as "wandergirl". I have read her first novel Like Mandarin but you've reminded me I haven't caught up with Wanderlove yet, so thanks.

Another ex AW-er's book, Hannah Moskowitz's Invincible Summer (which I have read), doesn't really count as that's a family holiday/vacation, children/teens with parents.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I love, love, love travel and road trip books. (Partly fueled by the fact that as a teen, Before Sunrise was one of my very favorite movies.) Here are a few off the top of my head.

PAPER TOWNS has a bit of a road trip.

THE PARADOX OF VERTICAL FLIGHT by Emil Ostrovski (who posts/posted here on AW sometimes, but I can't for the life of me recall the screenname)

PERFECT ESCAPE by Jennifer Brown

DISENCHANTMENTS by Nina LaCour (spelling?)

Doesn't Jenny Han have a "summer beach" series? Sort of the same.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants has three of the girls away.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
CRUEL SUMMER, by James Dawson, is about a group of friends spending the summer together at a holiday villa in the Mediterranean.

REMIX, coming soon from Non Pratt, is about some teens camping at a music festival - does that count as a short holiday?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
EVERY LITTLE THING IN THE WORLD by Nina de Gramont is about a sixteen-year-old trying to hide her pregnancy at a summer camp...does that count?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
REMIX, coming soon from Non Pratt, is about some teens camping at a music festival - does that count as a short holiday?

EVERY LITTLE THING IN THE WORLD by Nina de Gramont is about a sixteen-year-old trying to hide her pregnancy at a summer camp...does that count?

I don't see why not. Tnanks, everyone!

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score

The first thing that came to mind was 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

John Green's book An Abundance of Katherine's kind of starts as a road trip, but then they hang out in a little town for awhile.