Rumor Mill: Clinton, Biden swap jobs

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...oe-biden-in-2012-possible-jonathan-alter.html

Biden would reluctantly agree because his consolation prize is a job he can truthfully argue he has coveted for 20 years. It would leave him less humiliated than incumbent vice presidents like Henry Wallace, whom Franklin D. Roosevelt dumped from the ticket in favor of Harry Truman in 1944, and Nelson Rockefeller, booted by Gerald Ford to make room for Bob Dole in 1976.

Clinton would say yes because she is dutiful to a fault and because everyone asked to be on the ticket for the last 40 years has accepted, with the exception of Colin Powell turning down Dole in 1996 and John McCain rebuffing John Kerry in 2004 (that’s how liberal McCain was then).
I don't know about Clinton being "dutiful to a fault" (sounds a tad sexist to me), but I can see the potential for such a switch. Seems to me it might very well increase Obama's support among independents.

Whatcha think?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Before I read that article, I thought Hillary Clinton was already your Vice President.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be a really bad idea.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
biden's stupidity and uncontrollable mouth are far more contained, and thus far less dangerous, as VP than as secretary of state.

if obama cuts him loose, he should do so completely, so biden can get to his real dream job of being a lobbyist for the credit card companies.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And B would become.....sec. of state?

Let's see. I would think he would do well BSing the world leaders? :sarcasm: He would represent our work around the world?

Say it ain't so. O must really be feeling some heat for the next election. Remember awhile back C said she would not seek/be the SoS this next election time?

Sounds like plans were mad a realllllly long time ago about all this.

Guess that makes the 'tangle web we weave' saying take on a new slant.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Hillary has done an excellent job as Secretary of State, and I'd like to see her remain in that role. But, being VP would certainly cement her frontrunner status for 2016 if she chooses to run, and at the moment, I can't see anyone out there who I'd prefer over her at the moment.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think it's pretty normal for a president to make major changes in a second term cabinet, and based on their careers, I'd say Clinton and Biden would both be effective in either role. In fact, I had expected Biden to be offered Sec. of State in the first place, though Clinton has done a very good job so far. However, at this time this is only a rumor. Wait and see...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for something to get the base excited in 2012, Obama pulls Clinton and Joe Biden into the Oval Office and suggests they swap jobs. This would set up 2016 as the 68-year-old Clinton vs. Palin in a showdown between the Pantsuit and the Pit Bull. Clinton in her late 60′s would not be young, but younger than John McCain was in 2008 or Ronald Reagan in 1981. Hillary seems to be in good health and since women live longer than men, why couldn’t she run in 2016? As Obama's chosen successor she would avoid a civil war between the Clintonistas and the Obamaniacs, unite the Democrats and still make history as the first woman elected to the presidency.

If the Republicans want to run a former mayor and ex-governor who quit through her only term against a former First Lady, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State and Vice-President, that's a battle on "who's got the most experience?" they can't win.
Not everything is likely, but anything is possible.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I think Hillary plans to step down after next year's election.

Obama won't pick her - she's more popular than he is and too many people would say that the ticket should be reversed: Clinton-Obama.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Hillary plans to step down after next year's election.

Obama won't pick her - she's more popular than he is and too many people would say that the ticket should be reversed: Clinton-Obama.

Clinton has said she plans on stepping down even if Obama wins a second term, but it's hardly unusual for a politician to say one thing while planning to do exactly the opposite.

Sure, she could take off four years and wait for Obama to leave after being term-limited or challenge an incumbent Republican in 2016. That seems to me to be a tougher path to the presidency after being out of the spotlight for four years.

Looking down the Democratic bench who's the next superstar in waiting? I don't see one immediately. Someone will emerge, but why should Hillary wait to find out who?

As far as being more popular than Obama, yes, that's true now, but everything people didn't like about her in 2008 has only receded into the background. It hasn't gone away entirely.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would love Obama-Clinton. It would thrill the pants off me.

Well, keep your pants on dw. The odds of this actually happening are astronomically high and there's no certainty the three principle players involved would go for it.

Negotiating a job swap that doesn't humiliate Biden, force Hillary into a second banana role where she's sitting next to John "The Weeper" Boehner for the next four years of State of the Union message and where Obama doesn't come of as desperately seeking Hillary to rescue his presidency isn't going to happen over beers in the Rose Garden.

There are a lot of favors, promises and guarantees that have to be hammered out before this deal could go down.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Well, keep your pants on dw. The odds of this actually happening are astronomically high and there's no certainty the three principle players involved would go for it.

Negotiating a job swap that doesn't humiliate Biden, force Hillary into a second banana role where she's sitting next to John "The Weeper" Boehner for the next four years of State of the Union message and where Obama doesn't come of as desperately seeking Hillary to rescue his presidency isn't going to happen over beers in the Rose Garden.

There are a lot of favors, promises and guarantees that have to be hammered out before this deal could go down.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen. I'm just saying I'd be thrilled if it did. I couldn't see O-C losing to any combo of Republicans.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying I expect it to happen. I'm just saying I'd be thrilled if it did. I couldn't see O-C losing to any combo of Republicans.

It would be a tough out for the GOP that's for sure.

But if we're contemplating this scenario, the Republicans are too and figuring out strategies to respond accordingly.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I don't think Hillary will go for it. Not unless she's convinced that Obama will win, hands down. Now if his approval ratings skyrocket, then maybe. Even, I don't know.

As SOS, she isn't attached to a whole lot of things that the average person will find fault with. No matter how the economy does, or most any other crisis or even scandal, she's clear. If she becomes VP, she's more of a part of this Admin and can take those negatives into her election in 2016. Even if the economy improves, I don't think it's as big an advantage as being where she is.

If Obama wins, she may resign as SOS. Maybe not right away, a year or 2 into the 2nd term. Then she can put together her team for her own run against an unknown GOP contender.

If Obama looses, as SOS, she's probably out anyway, but as VP, she'll share in the blame of the loss. (Can you just hear some people blaming her, saying if Obama had kept Biden he would have won?) Then she can watch the GOP and come out swinging in 2016. Unless the GOP has someone with popularity #s like Reagan did for reelection. Not sure how likly that is, but knows.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
After her debacle during Bill's tenure, with her health care plan, I would vote against any ticket that she's on. That is probably the only scenario that I see where I'd vote for the Republican ticket next time around.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
She was asked about the possibility of this by MSNBC in part of an interview that aired yesterday and she laughed it off and then flatly denied it would ever happen.

Sure, anything's possible, but that shuts the door on it for me.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
She was asked about the possibility of this by MSNBC in part of an interview that aired yesterday and she laughed it off and then flatly denied it would ever happen.

Sure, anything's possible, but that shuts the door on it for me.

If she wants to be prez in 2016, she'll do this in 2012. If not, then probably not.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

A poll not too long ago showed 4 GOPers within striking distance, including bachman. This one has Romney only 3 points away, probably within the polls own margin of error. And once it becomes a head to head race, the dynamics change. While this poll may be good news for the President, it hardly means he's a sure thing.

The fact is, if Hillary were to join the race, she can't be 100% certain of a win. If they loose, it hurts her chances in 2016. If they win, it may hurt her. She's out of the line of fire, right now. She won't be as VP. She picks up some visibility, but then she will own, at least in part, and residual issues left over at the end of the term. I just don't see how it makes sense for her to do this.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A poll not too long ago showed 4 GOPers within striking distance, including bachman. This one has Romney only 3 points away, probably within the polls own margin of error. And once it becomes a head to head race, the dynamics change. While this poll may be good news for the President, it hardly means he's a sure thing.

The fact is, if Hillary were to join the race, she can't be 100% certain of a win. If they loose, it hurts her chances in 2016. If they win, it may hurt her. She's out of the line of fire, right now. She won't be as VP. She picks up some visibility, but then she will own, at least in part, and residual issues left over at the end of the term. I just don't see how it makes sense for her to do this.

You're right. My link doesn't prove anything. I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass. I mean that sincerely.

But it's my personal belief that the closer it gets to election time, the better it's going to look for Obama. And when it comes to one-on-one debate time, Barack is going to blow Mitt away.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clinton is a warmonger and completely out of touch with the plight of average Americans. The last thing we need is her close to the presidency. She's too close as it is. She's a huge disappointment. I thank God for the ironies. I thought she'd make a better president than Obama. He's proven to be stupid enough with regard to the wars. She'd have us in WWIII. She's a disaster. . . .

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
You're right. My link doesn't prove anything. I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass. I mean that sincerely.

But it's my personal belief that the closer it gets to election time, the better it's going to look for Obama. And when it comes to one-on-one debate time, Barack is going to blow Mitt away.

Maybe, maybe not. 1st off, depends who he's up against. Mitt would be harder for him to beat than say Bachman.

If the economy is still in a shambles, Obama will have an uphill battle.

Obama isn't going to able to just sound great. He will really have to defend his 1st term. And do so in a way that resonates with people who will vote for or against him, without upsetting those who voted for him the 1st time.

How will people who voted for Bush, then voted for Obama feel about those debates? How will people who voted for Bush 2x, but didn't vote last time because they figured they wouldn't win and they weren't big McCain fans? What about people who weren't able to vote for Obama because they weren't 18 yet and just are starting to become aware of this stuff now? Many times they rebel against who's in charge. Lot's of variables. Too soon to say.