Status
Not open for further replies.

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
I wonder what the size limit is on sig pictures, because I've found 2 totally awesome ones that I suspect may be too big.

You can make them smaller. Try this code when you upload:
[IMG=100x100]http://Image URL goes here[/IMG]

You can alter the size to your needs, of course. ;) Not all forums use the same code though so it might not work...

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
First off, I feel better! Halle-freaking-lujah!
<snip>

Writing really is like alcoholism, I firmly believe: an addiction that can't really be shed without major intervention. :)

Yay :D And who would ever was to intervene in something like writing. It would be cruel, I tell you. Although maybe my mother would like the dishes done sometime while I'm home...

I was just about to say "why aren't you wearing clothes, it's almost 5 o'clock in the evening!" but then I noticed you're in Colorado, hence in a totally different time zone than me.

Anyway, moving on from my temporary idiocy... d'you think it would be a viable strategy to write a fantasy story as a collection of short-ish stories instead.

Cause writing a full novel right now is feeling like a Snorlax sitting in the middle of the road. Except I don't have a flute.

Plus I'm getting oddly passionate about this over-arching story about a young guy who somehow inherits magical abilities and ends up, through various heroic deeds, rises to "reluctant hero" status who people keep saying will finally end the kingdom's perpetual war.

And I think it'd just make more sense to chop that up into the individual heroic deeds rather than lumping it into one novel, or splitting it into a more traditional trilogy...

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking nonsense.

That sounds like an interesting and possibly awesome idea. I'm always for different ways of telling a story, and I agree with the others that it might evolve differently as you go along. Try it, I say.

Ummm.... I got a LITTLE writing done this morning. But mostly I've been baking. Who wants fresh, hot strawberry bread?

*jumps in the tardis and nicks off too Junely's*

*Heads for Junely's*

I did say I was in 'pain' right? (Yeah, I know twice on one page, I promise to stop now)

as in real pain? :( If so, I hope you feel better soon.

If it can pass the sniff test and the stain test, then it can be worn for another day. :D

Oh, good, I'm not the only one who does this.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
*pops in briefly*

Hi guys! I'm at the In Your Write Mind workshop at Seton Hill (where I got my MFA) and I survived teaching a class!

I've taught before, but this was the first run for this particular class--it was on Deep POV. And it was the very first session of the workshop.

It's soooooooo hard when you're up there to know if you're saying interesting stuff that's good or if you suck and everyone's bored, but the folks afterward had decent things to say, so I think I did fine.

It is damn hot here, though. It's become the pantless workshop for me.

Hope everyone is well. :Hug2: to any and all who need them.

*pops back out*

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only here right now because I'm trying to watch "The Woman in Black" and need to come back to un-scary things periodically or else I'll be unable to sleep. :cry:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers folks. I'm still a bit pissed, but only vaguely. Dumb mechanics are dumb.

And Ali, I hope you are resting and feel better in the morning.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Verdict on Woman in Black: Creepy as all Hell and incredibly scary. Not as scary as I remember the stage play version being, but still I'm going to need a half hour before I'm ready to turn my lights off again...

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So I was on the beach seeking sunburn this afternoon, chillin' out facedown on the sand... And about ten feet away from me a huge fight broke out! 20 minutes of 2 people yelling and screaming with another dozen or so taking sides, and then they actually left the sand and went behind the treeline to settle things with blows. Then someone called the pork brigade, and two officers were going all up and down the beach getting witness statements.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
*pops in briefly*

Hi guys! I'm at the In Your Write Mind workshop at Seton Hill (where I got my MFA) and I survived teaching a class!

I've taught before, but this was the first run for this particular class--it was on Deep POV. And it was the very first session of the workshop.

It's soooooooo hard when you're up there to know if you're saying interesting stuff that's good or if you suck and everyone's bored, but the folks afterward had decent things to say, so I think I did fine.

It is damn hot here, though. It's become the pantless workshop for me.

Hope everyone is well. :Hug2: to any and all who need them.

*pops back out*

Sounds like a great workshop!

Cheers folks. I'm still a bit pissed, but only vaguely. Dumb mechanics are dumb.

And Ali, I hope you are resting and feel better in the morning.

Yeah that would be pretty annoying. Glad you got it sorted out. :)

Verdict on Woman in Black: Creepy as all Hell and incredibly scary. Not as scary as I remember the stage play version being, but still I'm going to need a half hour before I'm ready to turn my lights off again...

Oh nice! I have that on my Netflix and I'm excited to watch it. :D

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

I agree - and my friend and frequent filmgoing companion Pam and I saw that in the Empire, Leicester Square (London) - a 1300-seater West End showcase cinema.

I've not seen the stage play, but I did see the TV adaptation back in 1989. Everyone I know who saw it remembers That Scene - which may require that you stock up on clean underwear before watching.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning cantinas :Sun:

Thank you for the good wishes, so far today my hip muscle is fine. I have ben twisting it a lot in the past few days - unavoidable really, and the darned thing likes to get it's own back.

"That's what you get for making me work - ha"

Given that it's raining outside again - UK summer - I think today will involve lots of reading and writing and possibly some emergency bread making. I am also going to try to learn some two letter words. Feel free to test me later.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anyone ever sort of sit thre and think "what am I doing?"

You know, you write a bit, you read a bit, you try and crit or read somthing off the internet and learn something new. And then you think 'but what am I doing? Where's it all going?" and you're kind of fumbling about in the dark knowing that you want to improve the old skills and get 'better' but you haven't quite worked out what it is or where it is.

You see Gina's post about that teaching she did made me think that really I'm just twiddling and I need more discipline, but then discipline at what?

:gaah

I'm going for a lie down or something. All suggestions welcome, including the 'shut up and write' kind.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Omg, who wants to see the physics of MLP:FIM? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's hilarious and cute. Brave student though.

There is so much awesome in that video. And most of it comes from the fact that this guy made it easy for me to understand. Maybe I would have done better in science if my teachers could have related it to a cartoon.

I suggest finding some books about writing. That's where I go when I want to learn. I could give you a list of what I've found helpful. Most of them I've gotten from Writer's Digest. I like their selection a lot.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
And good morning friends!

I should try laying Baby down and going back to bed.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I suggest finding some books about writing. That's where I go when I want to learn. I could give you a list of what I've found helpful. Most of them I've gotten from Writer's Digest. I like their selection a lot.

Are you watching me? :e2steer:

After writing a bit I through my writers books and found a PDF of Your Writing Coach by Jurgen Wolfe.

I've heard a lot about Writer's Digest, the writing magazines over here just don't come across to me as particulary helpful. Perhaps I should look again *Goes off to investigate magazines*

Thanks Kricket.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you watching me? :e2steer:

After writing a bit I through my writers books and found a PDF of Your Writing Coach by Jurgen Wolfe.

I've heard a lot about Writer's Digest, the writing magazines over here just don't come across to me as particulary helpful. Perhaps I should look again *Goes off to investigate magazines*

Thanks Kricket.

Oh WD is more than just the magazine. They also have an online store that sells nothing but stuff for writers. I can't think of the url right now (its saved on my laptop but I'm on my tablet right now) but you can try Googling Writer's Digest Marketplace.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I agree - and my friend and frequent filmgoing companion Pam and I saw that in the Empire, Leicester Square (London) - a 1300-seater West End showcase cinema.

I've not seen the stage play, but I did see the TV adaptation back in 1989. Everyone I know who saw it remembers That Scene - which may require that you stock up on clean underwear before watching.
I watched it curled up in my bed with all the lights off, the sheets pulled up so I could easily hide behind them should the need arise. It didn't, but it almost did in several places, one in particular which is probably the tensest moment I've seen in any film since the opening scene of Inglourious Basterds.

I've seen the stage play (saw it 7 years ago, but still) at the Fortune Theatre in the West End as part of a school trip for Drama class. Haven't seen the 1989 TV version though, because everywhere I seemed to go I kept hearing it was terrible so I just steered clear of it.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh WD is more than just the magazine. They also have an online store that sells nothing but stuff for writers. I can't think of the url right now (its saved on my laptop but I'm on my tablet right now) but you can try Googling Writer's Digest Marketplace.

Found it *curses empty bank account*

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Okay. So I was on the beach seeking sunburn this afternoon, chillin' out facedown on the sand... And about ten feet away from me a huge fight broke out! 20 minutes of 2 people yelling and screaming with another dozen or so taking sides, and then they actually left the sand and went behind the treeline to settle things with blows. Then someone called the pork brigade, and two officers were going all up and down the beach getting witness statements.

Wow. That's intense for a beach day out. Reminds me of the time the police stopped the train and there were plain-clothesed police going throughout the cabins looking for someone.

Makes you feel guilty by proxy, no?

You know, you write a bit, you read a bit, you try and crit or read somthing off the internet and learn something new. And then you think 'but what am I doing? Where's it all going?" and you're kind of fumbling about in the dark knowing that you want to improve the old skills and get 'better' but you haven't quite worked out what it is or where it is.

You see Gina's post about that teaching she did made me think that really I'm just twiddling and I need more discipline, but then discipline at what?

:gaah

I'm going for a lie down or something. All suggestions welcome, including the 'shut up and write' kind.

I'm not going to be a lot of help here, because that: "omg, where the heck am I going" feeling? Possibly the thing I love most about writing ever.

Because then you make shit up. And it's awesome :D (not the stuff you made up probably, but that whole freefalling and making stuff up on the fly. Biggest adrenaline rush ever).

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Found it *curses empty bank account*

I feel your pain. :)

I'm not going to be a lot of help here, because that: "omg, where the heck am I going" feeling? Possibly the thing I love most about writing ever.

Because then you make shit up. And it's awesome :D (not the stuff you made up probably, but that whole freefalling and making stuff up on the fly. Biggest adrenaline rush ever).

You're weird. And that is totally a complement by the way. :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't mind thinking like that when I'm writing. it's when I'm dithering about thinking about storycraft and life and stuff. That's what i was talking about. i did write it in a hurry though, sorry.

I took Kricket's advice and signed up for the Writer's Digest newsletter. I'll see about getting a sub next week.

ION, if you are Stephen King and reading this (and if you are, Bettie would like her bank account contents back please), I have a suggestion for you.

The Stephen King diet.

How to do this?

1 - Obtain an audiobook of the Stephen King book of your choice.
2 - Play a chapter at each meal of your day

Result? At least one meal a day you will have to stop eating when you are aurally assaulted by dead maggots, demons, intestines, aliens and all the usual stuff.

This has happened to me twice now. I'm telling you it's worse than the maggot rain we had a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.