Help with the plot for my historical romance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurferChica

Registered
Reaction score
So its set during and after WWII its going to be between a hispanic actress/singer and a soldier. Im going to have them meet before he has to go to war, but I havent come up with much more than that. I just need some ideas to help me brainstorm. Im writing this novel for a certain publisher.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Will you send him to the Pacific or to Europe?
Do you want him to be injured?
Is there any particular battle/action you want him to take part in?
Is there a particular event you want him to witness?

It's entirely your choice.

My suggestion is to do some research
find some basic cover-all books about the War and decide which bit interests you and then research further.

WW2 is a HUGE topic. A lot happened.
My tip is to find something that interests you, whether it be the 101st Airborne, or the Marines in the Pacific theatre and take it from there. If you can settle on a particular Division/regiment, the plot writes itself to some degree.

When I wrote my first WW2 novel I chose an RAF Squadron and researched their role during the War, and, then when one of the MCs transferred to the USAAF, picked a squadron and did the same thing. The book practically wrote itself.

Hope that helps.

In the end, it's your story.

Good luck.

SurferChica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but the story has to come from the heroines point of view, Im sending it to a small romance publisher.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but the story has to come from the heroines point of view, Im sending it to a small romance publisher.

Yes. all right. My book is written from the heroine's point of view, but her relationship with the man she loves is affected by what happens to him during the war.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what you're wanting. I assume you have some sort of plot in mind?

EnkelZ

Registered
Reaction score
WWII was when the US went through the anti-commi phase, many actors/actresses were affected by that (I think Regan was head of the actor's guild at that time)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
So its set during and after WWII its going to be between a hispanic actress/singer and a soldier. Im going to have them meet before he has to go to war, but I havent come up with much more than that. I just need some ideas to help me brainstorm. Im writing this novel for a certain publisher.

I would be so tempted to have her join a group of entertainers (who are going to entertain the troops) in the hope that she is able to meet him at some point on her travels - but she always misses him. He is either at a battle, has just been shipped out because he is injured or he has been sent on a 'special mission'. She could have a dark secret that a nasty nefarious so'n'so has found out and is blackmailing her to make her tell about the military 'stuff' she sees whilst on her travels. At one point what she has found out puts her bloke at risk. She confesses all to him and he kills said baddie!

Status
Not open for further replies.