Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Branwyn, just wanted to say, best of luck on all fronts. It sounds like you're having a really horrible time, but let's hope you're using up all your bad karma in one go and are due some good stuff soon.

And now for the self-pitying whinge...

The novel which got me the fab agent (I know he's fab, because he's selling loads of stuff...unfortunately none of it is mine), is still on sub. After more than three years. He hasn't told me whether the second one is on sub yet. In fact, I haven't heard from him since Easter. I've sent three very very polite but increasingly pleading emails, and nothing. I thought the endless silences were bad enough when I was still trying to get an agent...

I'm really trying to finish a rewrite on the current novel, I've even taken some time off to do it, but I keep thinking, really, why am I bothering? If one of the best agents in the business can't sell me, maybe I'm just not sellable. Am I being unreasonable? I feel completely stuck. I'm scared to actually phone him in case the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. I know how utterly ridiculous that sounds.
If anyone has any suggestions at all as to my next move, I'd be very grateful.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I can only identify with you, babe. I'm having agent problems myself. Only he's picking apart everything I'm doing (four different books) without suggesting fixes or alternatives.

In your case it might not be as doom and gloom as you think. There could be a legiment communcation snafu. I can only suggest that you might try calling or sending a hardmail letter to reestablish contact.

Tri

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
...he's picking apart everything I'm doing (four different books) without suggesting fixes or alternatives.

Ouch. That sounds like no fun at all.

In your case it might not be as doom and gloom as you think. There could be a legiment communcation snafu. I can only suggest that you might try calling or sending a hardmail letter to reestablish contact.

Tri

You're right. I shall call this afternoon. It will still be too early to fortify myself with a drink, so I guess it will have to be the Really Strong Coffee instead...

And thanks. I hope your agent does something more helpful soon.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you checked in Bran - I think of you often and hope you find some good news on all fronts soon.

Broadswordbabe and Tri - ugh, agent troubles. This whole process is filled land mines, isn't it? I hope you get the communication flowing again - good luck with that call. Thanks for the reminder that getting an agent comes with its own set of issues. Sometimes I get so focused on that goal that I forget what comes next ;)

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Thanks, Alias and Ink.

Worked up my courage. Drank much coffee. Phoned. 'Number unavailable'. AAAARGHHHH! :e2thud:

I've sent another email, plus a message on myspace. What else can I do?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! Is there another number you can try? I don't who your agent is, but if they are with a larger agency maybe you can try another agent's number or the main number? My only other suggestion would be to see if you can get in touch with another client and see if they have new contact info. I hope you get in touch soon.

How frustrating!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
The novel which got me the fab agent (I know he's fab, because he's selling loads of stuff...unfortunately none of it is mine), is still on sub. After more than three years. He hasn't told me whether the second one is on sub yet. In fact, I haven't heard from him since Easter. I've sent three very very polite but increasingly pleading emails, and nothing. I thought the endless silences were bad enough when I was still trying to get an agent...

This was actually me too in December of last year. Very similar situation, reputable agent, impressive list of sales, just not with my work for some reason. After a while we had a discussion and parted on good terms. My work's getting considered by another agent now, so we'll see whether they a) offer representation and b) can sell it.

But yeah, in my case, I just had to bite the bullet, have a talk and part ways. It's not like either one of us did anything wrong, but sometimes, even when an agent likes your work, it can be a bad fit for the circles he or she might run in.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Oh no! Is there another number you can try? I don't who your agent is, but if they are with a larger agency maybe you can try another agent's number or the main number? My only other suggestion would be to see if you can get in touch with another client and see if they have new contact info. I hope you get in touch soon.

How frustrating!

Frustrating isn't the word! I need a whole new one, I think. Alas, he's the sole agent - which I suspect is part of the problem, he's just overworked. Fortunately I do know another of his clients, so I've got in touch. Now I have to wait for them to reply...

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
This was actually me too in December of last year. Very similar situation, reputable agent, impressive list of sales, just not with my work for some reason. After a while we had a discussion and parted on good terms. My work's getting considered by another agent now, so we'll see whether they a) offer representation and b) can sell it.

But yeah, in my case, I just had to bite the bullet, have a talk and part ways. It's not like either one of us did anything wrong, but sometimes, even when an agent likes your work, it can be a bad fit for the circles he or she might run in.

Oh, dear. I hate the thought - not just because I dread the thought of going back to the whole ghastly query process, but because I actually like the agent a lot personally (OK not quite so much just at the moment), and he has really good experience and a good rep within my genre. Still, if things don't improve, I guess I may have to consider it. Bleh. This is not helping me get on with my current rewrite.

Thanks for the support, everyone, it's appreciated.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if a professional with years of experience in the industry saw something worthwhile in your work, that does reflect positively on you. You're well aware that there are other factors beyond merely the quality of your writing that affect its chances of a sale.

That's also my line, and I'm sticking to it.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Broadsword, I hope everything gets sorted out for you in a positive way.

I decided not to post this in purgatory--'cause I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the good mojo over there. As expected Mom's got cancer. She'll see an oncologist and continue with the pulmonologist.

On the writing front I still have one partial out that I'm waiting to be rejected hear back.

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((((Bran)))) I'm sorry to hear that. Sending positive thoughts your way.:Hug2:

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Bran, I'm so sorry for your news. prayers for you and your family. Hang in there. Maybe August will be a kinder month.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Oh, and I got through to the agent - Yay - it was a combination of communication snafus, it seems - lost emails in both directions. He still likes me, first book's on sub in lots of places, and he's talking to people about the second one this week. He's also encouraged me to phone if I don't get an email response from him within 48 hours. So, phew. Oh, and he may be getting an assistant soon, so with any luck that will help speed everything up.
Thanks everyone for the support. It's so nice to talk to people who are in the same boat. Tri, I do hope things improve with your agent.
Good luck everyone.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Still here. Another R came in the other day.

ETA: Putting in a change of address for Ink. ;-)

Last edited:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Bran, I haven't read your stuff, but I'm guessing you're good. It's just a tough, tough business with a large component of luck and timing to it. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.