• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sam's Dot Publishing / White Cat Publications

snowdog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Can anyone here tell me about Sams Dot Publishing? I'm considering submitting a novella to them. I'm specifically looking at the submission guidelines for one of their stand-alone magazines, Sams Dot Cameos. Here's the link:

http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/cameoGL.htm

...and the following URL has a listing for the submission guidelines of their assorted magazines, in case you want to check those out:

http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/guidelines.htm

Any info appreciated-and thanks for your time! :D

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The editor is very nice to work with, and they are prompt to respond to queries, send payment, etc for short stories in their mags, but I don't know that they have any distribution in place for books.

Edited to add: I don't think they do any editing, either, based on their novel submission guidelines page.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen any of their books or magazines in a bookstore, including a SF/F-specific bookstore (which I frequent). That's my only datapoint on them, but I'm strongly of the "I want to be published with someone who has decent enough distribution that I can find their books or magazines in specialty bookstores in Boston and New York" persuasion.

On the other hand, it's hard to find markets for novellas.

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
I reviewed one of their magazines and one of their anthologies for Tales of the Talisman and they were both decent.

Shawn
Author of Dying Moon

snowdog

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses-they are really appreciated. :)

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I've had stories published and included in an annual Best of... Two chapbooks out and a couple of novellas scheduled. I like them. They treat writers fairly and pay promptly.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's their front page, since there isn't any "home" link on the sub pages. </peeve>

B.C. Brown

Registered
Reaction score
Approached by Sam's Dot...

Hello all. Recently an acquisitions editor for Sam's Dot approached me at a convention. She expressed an interest in picking up my published urban fantasy novel. But I'll admit I can find very little information, other than their website, on this publisher. Does anyone have anything additional on them? Or does anyone know about the status of their merge with White Cat?

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-B.C. Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Recently an acquisitions editor for Sam's Dot approached me at a convention. She expressed an interest in picking up my published urban fantasy novel. But I'll admit I can find very little information, other than their website, on this publisher. Does anyone have anything additional on them? Or does anyone know about the status of their merge with White Cat?

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-B.C. Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."

We merged.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
White Cat Publications/Conjurings Fantasy Magazine

Thought I would start a thread for this as I didn't see one. A few AWers had posted in this thread they were submiting earlier this year. I put a link in the bottom of that thread on them having troubles paying their authors but it really belongs in the B&BC area I think. So here again is the link to their Facebook page post.

According to the post (link above) on their Facebook page, they're not meeting their contracts, magazines are late, sounds like they might be folding. So if anyone has any stories on hold there they may want to check into that in case they need to withdraw them.

If you click right on the publishers name to get to their main wall it seems they have a few upset authors. Just an FYI for you all.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I quit in July, just after finishing the TOC for issue one. The owner paid for all of us to take this ridiculous anti-pedophile training. It was strange and offensive all at once; I don't deal with children in any capacity, and I was never expected to. If you're wondering where the money to pay authors went, at least part of it went to giving the junior editors the training they needed not to rape children.

I had to beg to get an electronic copy of the magazine, too.

The list of things I consider red flags grew one item stranger over the summer.

Edit:

Dora is wonderful, though.

Morgansmom

Registered
Reaction score
How does the authors who signed contracts get out of them if they are going under? Is it as simple as the facebook post said? Just send a email and wait 24 for a answer?

Eudaimon

Registered
Reaction score
I think the 'sex' question only offers a few choic
Hi all, Dora here.

I don't honestly know if it will be that simple, but I also strongly doubt that Mr. Moore has any intention of fighting any authors who want out of their agreements.

We went around about the 'contracts' several times, but unless I'm wrong all of the WCP magazine editors were given email agreements to send out rather than paper contracts the writers had to sign. While they are agreements that were signed in good faith and writers are expected to adhere to them, the publisher is expected to adhere to those agreements as well. Contracts can be nullified when it becomes clear that one party or the other is simply incapable of fulfilling its side of the contract. To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Moore and WCP/SDP are simply not capable of printing the magazines on the original, agreed-upon schedule. Therefore, you are within your rights to nullify the contract. The 24 hour response time is just to give him an opportunity to get back to you and let you know if he has an actual plan for your work. If he doesn't, you should be free to take it elsewhere.

Also, if it's any consolation at all, he doesn't have the time to chase down the 100+ authors and artists this affects. If anything, he'll come after me :/

-d

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You may want to merge some comments by the former employees on the current situation posted in this paying markets thread for them. My fault. :( I posted there first about it because I didn't find this thread. Sorry.

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do if you're still waiting to get paid for content already published. This is my first paid-writing, and I was pretty excited. Now I'm sad to say they are MONTHS late on payment, and the only responses I've ever gotten about it have been from Dora (who was as helpful as she could be, but she didn't know much as she wasn't my editor and doesn't seem to have been in charge of payments). Now, Dora is gone and I don't get anything but automated responses when I email. :|

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to merge some comments by the former employees on the current situation posted in this paying markets thread for them. My fault. :( I posted there first about it because I didn't find this thread. Sorry.
I've copied posts and closed that thread so discussion may continue here.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do if you're still waiting to get paid for content already published. This is my first paid-writing, and I was pretty excited. Now I'm sad to say they are MONTHS late on payment, and the only responses I've ever gotten about it have been from Dora (who was as helpful as she could be, but she didn't know much as she wasn't my editor and doesn't seem to have been in charge of payments). Now, Dora is gone and I don't get anything but automated responses when I email. :|

I would send Rick an invoice by snail-mail, in some fashion that requires a signature.

Eudaimon

Registered
Reaction score
I think the 'sex' question only offers a few choic
Why would he come after you???

I don't really think he would. Ultimately he's a good guy. My point was, if he was going to go after anyone for breach of contract or actions taken in bad faith or what have you it would be the person who advised all of the contributors to jump ship rather than the contributors themselves ;)