Pen Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here (not new to internet message forums). Anyway, I tried conducting a search for "pen names" but since pen is less than 4 letters, it won't let me conduct the search.

I wanted to know how a writer can learn if a possible pen name they want to use is already in use or not. If not, how does one go about making said name their pen name? Is there an official process or just stating that this is one's pen name on a ms enough? If it is in use, is there any good websites that help one create a unique pen name?

Thanks

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for starters, pick a name and search for that name at Amazon or in Google Books. If it doesn't come up, it's a pretty good bet that nobody's using it. Of course, if someone is currently using the same name and the book is in production but not yet published, you still might not find out until it's too late.

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
K1P1, thanks for the pointer. This is unchartered territory for me and I wasn't sure if there were any legalities to consider.

dempsey, when I read your response about conducting a basic google search I feel confused and I wonder if you are being snarky since any good writer who is trying to research something would do a quick google search to see what's out there (early on in their project). I am needing to receive help from BTDT writers. Am I posting my question in the wrong board here?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think he was being snarky. The best way to find out if there are a lot of people with your penname (or a character's name, or whatever) is a google search. Use quotation marks to search the exact phrase, in order.

Then search the name on Amazon or Google books if you got a lot of results and need to refine.

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Danger Jane, and would you be able to shed any light about how one "claims" an available pen name?

I should be more specific, I am considering writing for an internet message forum (they have a monthly newsletter) that I post regularly about personal details of my life. I don't want to divulge my offline identity and am considering the use of a pen name for this site. I just don't know if I can start using it or if I have to possibly write an article under my pen name and mail it to myself as proof that I used this name in case there ever is a court issue over it in the future.

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
[ I just don't know if I can start using it or if I have to possibly write an article under my pen name and mail it to myself as proof that I used this name in case there ever is a court issue over it in the future.

Just use it (in any case, mailing anything to yourself and expecting it to be legal proof of copyright is an old-publishers'-wives tale).

Not sure why there would be a court issue. I don't believe that one's name is able to be copyrighted, whether it's a pen name or your real name. You might be thinking of things like names for music bands, where disputes between bands with the same name sometimes occur as to who has right of use--this is entirely different.

I'm pretty sure I could call myself Stephen King, and he couldn't sue me. And what if my name really WAS Stephen King? (It would be a somewhat common name).

If I'm wrong, I'm willing to be corrected. I'd never thought about it before, to be honest.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I think OP was saying they tried searching for a thread on pen names on AW, to find older discussions, but couldn't because "pen" is too short. I've had that come up in the past myself.
btw I use a pen name. It;s not rocket science. My publisher helped me come up with it and then they simply used that name on the cover.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I call my pen Sheila. Now I know there are a lot of Sheilas out there...but I still think I'm safe giving her that name.

Welcome to AW, Dahl. Go ahead and start using the pen name you desire. There will be absolutely no issues. And happy writing.

Favored_Dahl

Registered
Reaction score
Just use it (in any case, mailing anything to yourself and expecting it to be legal proof of copyright is an old-publishers'-wives tale).

Not sure why there would be a court issue. I don't believe that one's name is able to be copyrighted, whether it's a pen name or your real name. You might be thinking of things like names for music bands, where disputes between bands with the same name sometimes occur as to who has right of use--this is entirely different.

I'm pretty sure I could call myself Stephen King, and he couldn't sue me. And what if my name really WAS Stephen King? (It would be a somewhat common name).

If I'm wrong, I'm willing to be corrected. I'd never thought about it before, to be honest.

Thanks for your help. That makes sense to me but I figured since it is a name that one is creating, that there may be some legalities that go along with it. One can never be too careful in our sue happy culture (at least for those of us located in the USA).

I think OP was saying they tried searching for a thread on pen names on AW, to find older discussions, but couldn't because "pen" is too short.

Yes, that was what I meant in my OP (I couldn't conduct the search of the threads as I try to avoid making a post on a subject that is commonly posted in the forums - eh, n00bs can be irritating with that and I am aware of this...lol). BTDT= been there done that

Welcome to AW, Dahl. Go ahead and start using the pen name you desire. There will be absolutely no issues. And happy writing.

Thanks for the welcome, KTC. I feel comfortable now using the pen now. I appreciate everyone's help here.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There is no legal process of "registering" or "claiming" a pen name. Use whatever pen name you like, as long as it doesn't infringe commercially on the name of an existing author (calling yourself "Steven King," or "Mary Higgins Clarke," unless that is your name, is pretty much out of the question).

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
No snark intended. I guess my brusqueness just comes off that way.

I was giving other phrasing suggestions, as well as quote suggestions. 'Nom' while a short word, is not an English word, and thus could potentially give you some hits.

But no. It wasn't snark. I usually wind up deleting snarky comments before I post them :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I could call myself Stephen King, and he couldn't sue me.

If you called yourself "Stephen King" and published horror fiction, he could, indeed, sue you unless you made it clear that you were a different person entirely.

It's unlikely any publisher would let you do that, though, because the wouldn't want the legal hassle.

And what if my name really WAS Stephen King? (It would be a somewhat common name).

If your name really is Stephen King, you can publish under it all you want. However, your publisher might encourage you to use a middle initial in order to distinguish yourself from the author of Carrie, etc.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
You could publish under "Not That Stephen King". That would be interesting. Or "The Other Stephen King." Just kidding, of course.

I use my maiden name as my pen name, only because it's more lyrical and easier to pronounce.

My pseudonym here is Chumplet, and I thought I was the only one until I found out some guy heavily involved in poker uses that name. Not to worry; I'm the REAL Chumplet!

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
If you called yourself "Stephen King" and published horror fiction, he could, indeed, sue you unless you made it clear that you were a different person entirely.

Well, I wasn't suggesting one *pretend* to be that Stephen King... :)

It's unlikely any publisher would let you do that, though, because the wouldn't want the legal hassle.

If your name really is Stephen King, you can publish under it all you want. However, your publisher might encourage you to use a middle initial in order to distinguish yourself from the author of Carrie, etc.

Yeah, I had a think about it last night after I posted, and realised that, unless you self-published, you would find it impossible to get a publisher to accept you without some sort of differentiation, whether a middle name or initial as you suggest, or a number.

Chumplet said:
You could publish under "Not That Stephen King". That would be interesting. Or "The Other Stephen King."

LOL!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
K1P1, thanks for the pointer. This is unchartered territory for me and I wasn't sure if there were any legalities to consider.

dempsey, when I read your response about conducting a basic google search I feel confused and I wonder if you are being snarky since any good writer who is trying to research something would do a quick google search to see what's out there (early on in their project). I am needing to receive help from BTDT writers. Am I posting my question in the wrong board here?

Naw, there was no snark. Some people have no Google-Fu, and he had no way of knowing if you did or didn't. It's sort of like how the tech support guy always tells you to restart your computer first--even if you've already isolated the problem but just aren't sure how to kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.