Definition of a Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone once told me there are two types of writers when it comes to plotting. You have the ''grand arc'' writers, who invent complex plot arcs with subplots, and usually prefer writing novels and series rather than shorts.

And then there's people like me. Where even when I think of a novel, I always find some way to boil it down to under 40k. Every plot I create is short and succinct, and only occasionally do I see a unintentional chance to create a possible sequel, though every work is always self-contained. I'm also not a huge fan of series when it comes to writing, which hasn't helped.

However, I am big on world-building, and recently came up with a series of novellas/short novels that would all take place in the same world. Perhaps in different geographical regions, but would all have overlapping tech, politics, references, etc. There would be minor recurring characters, with MC of earlier books appearing later but never as MCs, but every story would essentially be independent of its successor.

Is that allowed, in the sense that I can refer to it as a ''series?'' Would readers feel cheated? Should I try and create an overall arc that would connect each story?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I also tend to run short and sweet, low on subplots. :Hug2:

I think that would count as a series. I know I have read something similar in the past, but I can't remember if it was referred to as a series. It sounds sort of like you want to pull a Michael Moorcock and have something that doesn't necessarily need to be read in chronological order, so you're in good company. And it sounds interesting to me!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There are basically two types of series. There are continuing story series, which are basically one long story broken into multiple volumes. Then there are episodal series, which may be held together by a group of repeating characters or by a repeating setting. Some writers, particularly in SF&F, may even combine these techniques, mixing continued-story trilogies into a series of epidosal works about the same world (Ann McCaffrey did this with her Pern series).

I don't think readers feel cheated by an episodal series. They're quite common, at least in SF&F.

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
There are basically two types of series. There are continuing story series, which are basically one long story broken into multiple volumes. Then there are episodal series, which may be held together by a group of repeating characters or by a repeating setting. Some writers, particularly in SF&F, may even combine these techniques, mixing continued-story trilogies into a series of epidosal works about the same world (Ann McCaffrey did this with her Pern series).

I don't think readers feel cheated by an episodal series. They're quite common, at least in SF&F.

It would be SF, so that's good to know! Even though worrying about it is eons away, would it still be in my best interest to somehow label it as episodic, just so people wouldn't expect it? Because as someone who's not really into series, I've always gotten the vibe that readers who love series are really into it for the long ride, so I wouldn't want anyone to have any expectations that wouldn't necessarily get fulfilled.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's a series in a sense. But by the sound of it, all your books will be able to stand alone. To me, a series involves multiple books that follow at least some of the same characters. There may or may not be an overarching plot tying the whole series together.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone once told me there are two types of writers when it comes to plotting. You have the ''grand arc'' writers, who invent complex plot arcs with subplots, and usually prefer writing novels and series rather than shorts.
Hm. Well. Good to know I'm not alone as the kind of person who can't tell a 'simple' story to save her life...

Parallel: where one Christmas light can burn out without effecting any others.
I actually second the Parallel option. Only because it makes more sense than calling it a 'series.'

If you take the time to look up serial fiction you'll notice a trend in that each book has to have something to do with, or in relation to, the other(s) as regards plot and character. It's where you're taking one massive overall plot and advancing it book by book while tying up sub plots and character arcs along the way.

Parallel fiction on the other hand can take place in the same setting, but otherwise have little to do with the characters, plots and themes of other books of the same world.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

And then there's people like me. Where even when I think of a novel, I always find some way to boil it down to under 40k. Every plot I create is short and succinct, and only occasionally do I see a unintentional chance to create a possible sequel, though every work is always self-contained. I'm also not a huge fan of series when it comes to writing, which hasn't helped.

However, I am big on world-building, and recently came up with a series of novellas/short novels that would all take place in the same world. Perhaps in different geographical regions, but would all have overlapping tech, politics, references, etc. There would be minor recurring characters, with MC of earlier books appearing later but never as MCs, but every story would essentially be independent of its successor.

Is that allowed, in the sense that I can refer to it as a ''series?'' Would readers feel cheated? Should I try and create an overall arc that would connect each story?

Whoever told you there were these two types of writers when it comes to plotting had no idea what they were talking about. And I mean NO idea.

Many of the best "grand arc" series writers out there are also the best short story, novelette, and novella writers who ever lived.

There are also a great many of us, including those of us who write both shorts and "grand arc" novels or series, who don;t plot at all. Ever read Stephen King?

Anyway, what you're suggesting is nothing new. It's been tried many times, sometimes with a bit of success, often with non success.

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
I actually second the Parallel option. Only because it makes more sense than calling it a 'series.'

If you take the time to look up serial fiction you'll notice a trend in that each book has to have something to do with, or in relation to, the other(s) as regards plot and character. It's where you're taking one massive overall plot and advancing it book by book while tying up sub plots and character arcs along the way.

Parallel fiction on the other hand can take place in the same setting, but otherwise have little to do with the characters, plots and themes of other books of the same world.

I had a feeling there was a specific term for this, so it feels great to finally have a name for it. Here's the kicker that's been causing me grief: they would be slightly more related than just setting. As I briefly mentioned in my OP, the tales would be related by politics, in the sense that every tale would work to resolve the war that has consumed the world. Each plot would be something that deals with the relationship of two of the warring empires paired with a relationship forming between two individuals and their corresponding nations. Since the majority of these characters will be prominent military leaders and rulers, they'll be recurring character even if the book isn't focused on them. But the only uniting arc that's really being resolved is basically ''who wins.''

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sounds like more of a traditional series than you made it seem originally in some ways. Without knowing the details only so much advice can be given but I think readers wouldn't feel cheated if they knew the next plot point would be discussed in book 2, 3, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.