What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, he spoils everything :( but the genius of that book is that, when it actually happens, you still bawl your eyes out. Even though you knew it was going to happen. Even though you were prepared. Still gets you.

NOOOO!!! I like really liked that character too. I was going to list him as one of my favorite YA love interests. He was so sweet.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Bunheads by Sophie Flack. I enjoyed it, and thought the author's background as a ballet dancer was really well used in the story. It's interesting that the main character is 19 (isn't the advice always that it must be younger in YA?!).

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, he spoils everything :( but the genius of that book is that, when it actually happens, you still bawl your eyes out. Even though you knew it was going to happen. Even though you were prepared. Still gets you.
Actually, I think that makes it sadder for some reason when you know what's coming. This little part of you keeps hoping it's not going to happen but you know it will, and then when it does, it's just devastating.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I think that makes it sadder for some reason when you know what's coming. This little part of you keeps hoping it's not going to happen but you know it will, and then when it does, it's just devastating.

Tooooootally. You just keep hoping Death is wrong. But you're the one who's wrong. Sigh.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Maze Runner, YA science fiction, by James Dashner. Loved the book.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a third of the way through THE SACRIFICE by Charlie Higson and I'm not feeling the love this time round. It started really well and I'm glad that he's stopped doing a load of backstory and is now taking his arc forward but there are so many characters that I'm finding it difficult to keep them all straight and I think that you also need to have read the previous books immediately before this one in order to know what's happened in each storyline. There is a lot of action and I'm going to finish it, but there's a bit too much of a frantic element to the violence so all the kid death loses its punch.

MM

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Just beta'd my friend Marie's next novel, The Game Changer, which is chick lit / women's fiction. (On the whole: fabulous. However, reading 106,000 words and writing 12,000 worth of notes in a 24 hour period is *not* something I want to do again soon. My eyes still feel twitchy. *laughs*)

Now back to the mountain of YA I got last week that I want to try and zip through before Christmas. I think my next book will be The Mephisto Kiss by Trinity Faegen.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly finished A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL by Kristin Walker. I'm having a bit of a YA chic lit phase, after realising that my book shelf/pile is (theme-wise): kidnapping, bomb, schizophrenia, kidnapping, child abuse, school-based pranks (the odd one out), suicidal + bullying, and then some historical fiction.

Yes, I read too much dark stuff. So I got AMMIHS and I really like it so far - although the MC is a bit annoying, and the idea of compulsory marriage-ed is really stretching the suspension of disbelief (hello, what about the gay kids?). I like, for once, that the MC isn't afraid to give as good as she gets.

Next up is GETTING REVENGE ON LAUREN WOOD by Eileen Cook. Looks really good, revenge books are always interesting (plus the cover is great!).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading THE DIVINERS

Listening to BEAUTIFUL CREATURES just because I'm in the mood.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Read Kirstin Cronn-Mills' BEAUTIFUL MUSIC FOR UGLY CHILDREN the other day and loved it.

Now I'm reading GIRL OF NIGHTMARES. Liking it so far.

Also, I keep "finding" books that I forgot I owned on my bookshelf. One of those finds was REVOLUTION by Jennifer Donnelly. Might have to read that sometime soon, too.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter. Not exactly what I expected from the title, but I still like it.

ZOMBIES!

L.W.Patricks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Reading Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Reading Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. This is actually the first Zombie book I've ever read (I'm more of the Zombie movie guy than book guy) but hopefully it's great!

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Reading Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. This is actually the first Zombie book I've ever read (I'm more of the Zombie movie guy than book guy) but hopefully it's great!

For what it's worth...

My hubby just started this series and is nearly finished with Rot and Ruin. He liked it enough to ask me to order the next two books in the series for him. I believe the third book just released last month.

He loves zombie stuff. I don't think there's a zombie movie out there he hasn't seen, and he's currently working through the Walking Dead series (through Netflix since we don't have cable). He says zombie books usually aren't as good as zombie movies, but he's impressed with Maberry's stuff so far.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading MAGIC UNDER STONE. So cool and original. I don't think I've read anything like it in YA.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancy. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't as amazing as the first book in the series, but it was still impressive. I have noticed, however, there is quite a bit of human excrement in this series. It makes me really glad I don't live in the late 1800s. :D

I have a sample of False Memory. I've heard good things (mostly) but I can't seem to get past the first page. I'm just never in the mood for it.

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 50 pages into Gennifer Albin's Crewel and I'm already ga-ga over the world building. I like how things are being slowly developed/unfolding. No big info-dumps thus far. As long as the momentum keeps up, I have a feeling this is going to be one of those books where I'm like, "Damn, why didn't I think of this?"

I finished the Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancy. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't as amazing as the first book in the series, but it was still impressive.

Cursed of the Wendigo is my favorite in the series. I like the ambiguity at the end. I just wish Y@ncey would have a few more female characters and stop using gore as a way to shock readers.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Reading two YA books with LGBT characters: Sprout by Dale Peck, which is similar in tone to my WIP and (sort of) re-reading Hold Still by Nina Lacour. I read 1/3 of the book months ago, but I had to stop (not because it was bad -- it's actually quite amazing). So, now I'm starting over from the beginning to experience the whole thing. This is one book that should not be read in ebook format. The design and art are gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.