Status
Not open for further replies.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I believe I already congratulated you, but it was no doubt lost in the crash, so: congrats!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Me too -- I remember congratulating you here but I totally forgot that it probably fell into the maw. At least you saw my post in your other thread! :)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Thanks! It was quite funny when my site went live because I had no idea that it was going to happen on that particular day. I was working on the prep site, and suddenly I got an error that I do not have access. Uh oh! Had a bit of a panic, emailed Support, and went out shopping. Returned to find the email that I was now live. Whew! I thought things would wind down after prep, but I'm even busier now because there are so many things I plan to do with the site.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
After five years, my topic is fixing to come up again for application. I have just received word that the guide left. I was in prep for this topic in 2006 and it came down to me and him. He won (obviously). I have more experience and platform in the topic now and I'm incredibly nervous as I wait for the application section for the topic to come available.

?

Well three months after the guide vacated the position, it just hit the "taking applications" spot yesterday. I applied :) Now the wait to see if I make it into prep yet AGAIN for this topic.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Good luck!

They recently changed their compensation plan, but it's pretty similar to what you would make before as a new Guide. They just tied it into completing certain tasks, but they're the same amount of work you'd be doing to make your site a success anyway.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Tina! Fingers crossed.

Debating about whether to apply for a TG position. It's been open for at least a couple of weeks so I don't know. Been down that road before.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Go for it, Moth! What have you got to lose? The trick is to apply and then forget about it while you immerse yourself in other projects. Ironically, I had forgotten my application when I got the notice I was accepted into prep. I almost deleted it as spam before I realized, "Whoa!"

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
What have you got to lose?

Didn't think of it that way. By now I'm good at applying to About and then forgetting about it. :tongue

That's hilarious about your welcome to prep email. Good thing you opened it! :D

Thanks ink. I think maybe I will apply, take the weekend to laze over each part then sub it on Monday. Or Tuesday b/c of the holiday.

Thanks again! :)

stevem76

Registered
Reaction score
Really interesting thread - and good luck to those applying for the role.

For those already writing for About.com, can you please give an indication of the average amount of time you spend working on your site each week or month?

I'm hoping it will fit in amongst my other writing and working commitments as there is a topic currently available that would be perfect!

Thanks!

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
Right at this moment, the Fiction Writing section seem to be in need of a "Guide". I don't work for them so, don't take it as gospel ;)

Just tryin' to help.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Fiction Writing has been out there for quite a while now, which surprises me. I think it's from the career standpoint rather than the fiction writing standpoint.

I'm still pretty new at About.com (haven't had my three-month review yet), so I spend a lot of time on my site. Never really added up the hours, but the articles take me longer to write than those I do for sites like Demand and Examiner. My topic (http://petsupplies.about.com) calls for lots of photos, as well as lots of research/product reviewing, so it's the equivalent of a part-time job. You have to do a lot of organizing when you're new, too, but that's slowly falling into place so I think the time I spend will cut down some eventually.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
The Fiction Writing topic is in prep at the moment, so anyone that wanted to apply should wait 3-4 weeks to see if it disappears from the list.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I've been snooping around here for the last week. Applied for a topic ~it will be 8 weeks ago on Monday. Been reading some posts this is a good sign, and then again, not a good sign. Going to take it as good sign being my first application was 2 years ago, and within the first 4 weeks got rejected. I have enough experience but not the publications. Lots of great tips here. Any thoughts? Wish everyone the best! :)

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I would take it as a good thing, as long as you still see the topic showing as available. It took me at least a couple of months to get put into prep; I had already forgotten about my application. Good luck! Prep is rigorous, but for me the end result is worth it.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Hi Everyone,
I've been snooping around here for the last week. Applied for a topic ~it will be 8 weeks ago on Monday. Been reading some posts this is a good sign, and then again, not a good sign. Going to take it as good sign being my first application was 2 years ago, and within the first 4 weeks got rejected. I have enough experience but not the publications. Lots of great tips here. Any thoughts? Wish everyone the best! :)

There's a link on the beaguide page that will let you check the status of an application. So long as it says something about still looking for applicants (can't remember the exact wording) you are good. If it says something like 'we are currently working with a group of candidates' the topic has gone into prep but they are holding your application just in case they don't find any of the current candidates to be right for the position.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Inkkognito! The topic still is available, I forgot to mention. I was reading on this thread just how intense prep is, and I can understand how vital topic knowledge is. Been writing since I was a single digit age. We shall see.
Thanks so much Herdon for the info! When I check the application status it says we have yet to review your application, how it may take up to 8 weeks. Nothing that you mentioned yet, but I will check the status for this week.
Even though my husband is a computer guru, still he admits html and coding aside from database programming are not his forte. I did take a class on basic html with my virtual assistant certification, but it was like 2 years ago. SEO is my weakness right now. I think I am just worried because this will be my first official PAID/ongoing writing gig if I do get through prep. And haven't practiced Wordpress since the VA classes...hmmm maybe I need a blog to play around with...I have a huge learning curve ahead of me.
Can I ask what topic you have Inkkognito and Herdon? Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
My topic is the link in my signature.

I wouldn't worry about SEO right now. I didn't know anything about SEO until I started with About.com on my first topic around 3 years ago or so. Learned a lot about it since. The basic rules of SEO are pretty easy, though recent Google changes mean a bit more work on our behalf.

The HTML needed is pretty basic. Paragraph tags, bold tags, italic tags and the ability to code links will be 90% of what you need and doing lists will probably be the other 10%. You could probably find an editor that would do the conversion for you.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Prep hasn't started for my topic yet, nine weeks since applying. I'm crossing fingers for it. I waited since May (when it was abandoned) for it to come up for application, I can wait a while more for them to pick a prep team :)

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Herdon ~ great topic! When I read your bio, I felt like I was reading my hubby's or dad's bio! I had a VIC 20 and used to do binary code and simple programming with my dad, hearing Issac Aminov stories and watching Star Trek and Dr. Who! Still a sci-fi/ fantasy buff, married one too. Just got him a Xoom for his new line of work- its wonderful- wished I had checked your site to learn more about the ipad.
Uncarved~ looks like we are both waiting. Monday mark 8 weeks for me~ hope you get good news! What is your topic?

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Same one I was in prep for in 2006, Radio controlled vehicles. I own a hobbyshop and a RC track, I'm hoping since I do it professionally and personally they'll let me squeak in.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
That's great Uncarved! Hope this time around is what you were waiting for~ and that it makes all the struggle and energy output worthwhile!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Just FYI, they've done some restructuring in the last couple of months to streamline the content teams, support teams, etc. Since editorial was part of the prep process and it had some major changes applied to it, there could be some residual delay on prep classes getting started. Though I'm sure prep is one of their top priorities, so any delay would probably be minimal.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
There were four topics listed in the hobbies section application form, now there are two. At least there moving them along. Mine is still one of the two still listed. It can't be tooooo much longer.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've seen new Guides announced and we've got lots of recent additions on the mailing list, so it looks like things are moving along, even though there may be delays.

Don't worry about the HTML or Wordpress. I use Blogger and picked up Wordpress just by playing with it. For HTML, the main tags I use are <p>,<b>,<ul>,<ol>, and <li>, just about as basic as you can get. As Herdon said, don't worry about SEO right off the bat. During prep they want to see how you write, if you can learn the tools, and if you are a good overall fit. Then you get into the nitty-gritty if you make it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.