Here we go again.

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a returning member from a few years ago. I spent the past four and a half years getting my Bachelor's in History and being told what to write. I'm finally ready to get back to writing for my own sake. For the most part I'm a lurker, but I look forward to getting to know everyone and benefiting from your wisdom.

With that in mind, I got a couple of questions that are probably easily searchable, but every now and then, I'm known to be a little lazy.

What is the best site for blogging? I'd like to avoid Blogger if I can. I had to use it for a bunch of classes during my undergrad work, and have grown to despise it thoroughly.

And: Is the fee for Duotrope worth it? Of course the day I decide to register, they start charging.

lewisc

Overnight Sensation
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for Duotrope as I have never used it. I do use writer's market and I think that's worth it.

As far as blogging, I've done them all. If you want to spend a little bit of time (not a lot really but some), I would say to get a cheap domain hosting and host your own wordpress blog. With the control software most hosting sites use (called cpanel), deploying a blog is really painless.

If you want super fast deployment and don't care about domain name, wordpress.com is very fast to set up.

Whichever way you go, you should start out with your own domain. Eventually you will wish you had but you won't want the pain of redirects and bad links.

LewisC

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Publius!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Hello lewisc and Tepelus. I'll look into that lewisc. It's probably a good idea---as long as I can get away cheap. Funds may be a little tight with my student loans coming down the pipe in 6 months. Though I'm not as bad off as a lot of other people I know.

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Welcome to the forum! Agreed that self-hosted Wordpress is best, but if you can't afford it you can always start out at Wordpress.com and export your data later when you can afford to handle it all yourself. :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. :)

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Hello and welcome :)
I really like Duotrope and will probably register, but you might like to try the one month for $5 option before shelling out for a whole year. There's a thread on duotrope which, particularly towards the end of it, goes into a discussion of whether or not it's worth paying for the service and I think there are some links for possible alternatives as well.
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Publius

Welcome back, congrats on your degree

Regarding blogging you already got a few excellent tips