Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thirsty? Let's go out for a cool drink of water.

It's not too far out of the way.

Quote:
NASA announced Thursday that its Messenger probe has discovered new evidence of water ice on Mercury.

Vince524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
POPASMOKE
Keep your turns up

POPASMOKE is a splendid one to beholdPOPASMOKE is a splendid one to beholdPOPASMOKE is a splendid one to behold
There Really Are Snowballs in Hell; Well Sorta

Quote:
Scientists with NASA's Messenger mission have announced that they've confirmed the existence of water ice in permanently shadowed craters near Mercury's poles.
Quote:
Today three teams of planetary scientists announced a truly amazing result, something I've been hoping to hear for more than 20 years and expected to hear about 8 months ago. The hellish planet Mercury harbors substantial amounts of water ice ice! on the walls and floors of craters near its poles that are never exposed to sunlight.

This stunning revelation is detailed in a trio of reports published online today in Science Express. All are based on results from NASA's Messenger spacecraft, which has been orbiting the innermost planet for about 1 years.
The universe never ceases to amaze me.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is a duplicate thread. The other one is called "Thirsty? Let's go out for a cool drink of water. ."

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Diana Hignutt
Neo-Luddite & Anti-Corporatist

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Water Ice Discovered on Mercury

Quote:
It's time to add Mercury to the list of worlds where you can go ice-skating. Confirming decades of suspicion, a NASA spacecraft has spotted vast deposits of water ice on the planet closest to the sun.

Temperatures on Mercury can reach 800 degrees Fahrenheit (427 degrees Celsius), but around the north pole, in areas permanently shielded from the sun's heat, NASA's Messenger spacecraft found a mix of frozen water and possible organic materials.
http://www.space.com/18687-water-ice...discovery.html

Water, water, everywhere...

Though, I do enjoy my reputation as a Luddite, and as a Champion against Scientific Materialism, I actually love science and new discoveries. I'm a big fan of the scientific method. And space fascinates me endlessly. We live in exciting times, where we get to learn so much, and that is thanks to science. Hooray for Science!

I wonder where there isn't any water? Anywhere?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Diana Hignutt

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry, I just posted this on another thread, too...

Titles, people, titles...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... neat. Never would have suspected so with the planet so close to the Sun. Even if it is shady at the poles all the time, you'd still think it'd be hot, or at least warm enough so ice couldn't form.
Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Diana Hignutt

Personally, I think my thread title was the only one that gave an actual hint as to the subject matter...just sayin'... but it's a good merge...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe the addition of "--on Mercury" to the end of the title would benefit?

Just a suggestion.

I wonder if the substance on Mercury that is being identified as water might be something else entirely that gives similar reflections as water but is less likely to be evaporated. Perhaps something new and unknown to scientists? It seems odd to me that a planet as hot as Mercury would be able to keep any amount of water, even on the side away from the sun, whether it is being shielded by 4 inches of possibly organic material or not.

Likely if I were a trained scientist I wouldn't find the concept odd at all.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I struggle with the choice of thread titles. Should I use one that is catchy, quirky and/or delivers an emotional impact? The emotion being amusement, outrage, anger, bemusement or what have you) or just a plain, fact based title that leaves little to the imagination, but accurately reflects the intent of the thread.

It seems like the difference between the title of an episode of the original Star Trek (City on the Edge of Forever, Let that be you last battleground) or something from Star Trek: The Next Generation. (The Survivors, The Outcast, The Enemy.)

Usually, I choose to go with the title that doesn't give away the entire thread purpose from the get go. It's the writer in me, not wanting to give away the big reveal.

I aspire to be both witty and thought provoking, but I'm aware that often times I am neither and perhaps I come across more as inarticulate or as my wife would say, "A pain in the ass." (Ah, love.)

It is an ongoing inner dialogue (Or would that be monologue?) that keeps me up at nights, seeking counsel from many, only to usually succumb to my instincts.

Please forgive me, for I know I am a sinner and I beg your tolerance.

But really, water on Mercury, who knew?

Hope we're all cool.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Diana Hignutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
I struggle with the choice of thread titles. Should I use one that is catchy, quirky and/or delivers an emotional impact? The emotion being amusement, outrage, anger, bemusement or what have you) or just a plain, fact based title that leaves little to the imagination, but accurately reflects the intent of the thread.

It seems like the difference between the title of an episode of the original Star Trek (City on the Edge of Forever, Let that be you last battleground) or something from Star Trek: The Next Generation. (The Survivors, The Outcast, The Enemy.)

Usually, I choose to go with the title that doesn't give away the entire thread purpose from the get go. It's the writer in me, not wanting to give away the big reveal.

I aspire to be both witty and thought provoking, but I'm aware that often times I am neither and perhaps I come across more as inarticulate or as my wife would say, "A pain in the ass." (Ah, love.)

It is an ongoing inner dialogue (Or would that be monologue?) that keeps me up at nights, seeking counsel from many, only to usually succumb to my instincts.

Please forgive me, for I know I am a sinner and I beg your tolerance.

But really, water on Mercury, who knew?

Hope we're all cool.
We were never not all cool...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
... neat. Never would have suspected so with the planet so close to the Sun. Even if it is shady at the poles all the time, you'd still think it'd be hot, or at least warm enough so ice couldn't form.
No atmosphere to retain and distribute heat. Mercury is hot where the sun shines on it, brutally cold where it doesn't. The heat doesn't come directly from the sunlight, but rather from the effect that sunlight has on absorptive surfaces, which then re-radiate infrared. This is why your car metal gets scorching-hot in summer sunlight, and cools off quickly in darkness. Without the sunlight, no infrared to re-radiate.

Our moon has similar features at its poles, deep permanently shaded craters.

caw
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
I like quirky titles as long as it's clear from the first line what's going on, since I usually do a cursor hover before clicking.

And this news made me happy. Need to start sharpening my ice skates. And, erm, polishing my thermal suit?

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a somewhat smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
No atmosphere to retain and distribute heat. Mercury is hot where the sun shines on it, brutally cold where it doesn't. The heat doesn't come directly from the sunlight, but rather from the effect that sunlight has on absorptive surfaces, which then re-radiate infrared. This is why your car metal gets scorching-hot in summer sunlight, and cools off quickly in darkness. Without the sunlight, no infrared to re-radiate.

Our moon has similar features at its poles, deep permanently shaded craters.

caw
... very interesting. Something I never considered. Wasn't aware things worked like that, on a planetary scale at least. Mercury not having an atmosphere is in a way a blessing, or mixed one.

ps diana and vince.

your threads are usually engaging and get lots of participation.
that's the important thing and is why members click on your threads.
the titles aren't so important as such.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #14
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
ps diana and vince.

your threads are usually engaging and get lots of participation.
that's the important thing and is why members click on your threads.
the titles aren't so important as such.
You like me!!! You really, really like me!!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Ken
and friends . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
You like me!!! You really, really like me!!
... from one outcast to another,