About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Herdon ~ I see how that would slow things down
Uncarved ~ Yes, hopefully not too much longer
Inkkognito ~ Thanks for the tips! Yes that is basic html. What about keywords or metatags? Are those needed?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Yes, there are places to fill those in in the templates, but they don't seem to judge you too harshly in that area during prep as long as your content is solid. Keep it in mind but don't concentrate your main efforts there initially.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone?
For me, quite busy while I wait, will be less busy in a few days so I think I will prepare a few things ahead of time in case I am one of the ones chosen for prep.
Monday will mark 9 weeks waiting. Still thankful my topic is still up.
Uncarved ~ have you heard anything yet?

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything.
Hobbies went from four topics in application list to two. Mine is still there. I'm hopeful that in a few weeks I'll hear something. I know they get slower in the fall and winter.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, was hoping you heard good news. Slower during this time, wow wonder if it's the holidays...

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, thanks inkkognito! Well I won't be too busy for the next few weeks, so I am just hoping if chosen for prep, it will be very soon. :)

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious: Is it usual to be waiting past 3 months for a yes/no answer to get into prep?

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I have another question: This week I have the rare opportunity to be in a local commercial, though it may be more than local, that has to do with a popular local children's spot. It is related to the topic I applied for. My question is there a way to let about.com know of my first media credit, since I applied 9 weeks ago? Just wondering if this may help my chances? I looked online and can't see where I can email this sort of info without applying again.Thanks so much!

Last edited:

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, everyone must be truly busy with their writing and projects in general. Being busy is good. Has anyone heard about their topic yet? I haven't heard either way, it's been 12 weeks. It still says the same response. Hope everyone is well!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing here yet either. Still not in prep though so that is a good sign. I don't expect to hear from them in December.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Uncarved! It is still the same autoresponse from the 1st week after applying. Ok, so no news is good news for now. I have some things coming up in the new year, things to finish up, and so hoping to get good news THIS month instead of next, but it is what it is. Thanks for your response!

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
I am guessing for a number of reasons I am waiting so long, 14 weeks. Other than contacting about.com with the customer care form, and not being too forward or annoying, is there a way to find out if the topic has gone into prep? Thanks so much! Uncarved I see your topic is still listed ~ 15 weeks for you right?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Back when this thread was very active, you could tell at least some of the prep topics because the people in prep would hang out here. Alas, it seems like those days are gone.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I am guessing for a number of reasons I am waiting so long, 14 weeks. Other than contacting about.com with the customer care form, and not being too forward or annoying, is there a way to find out if the topic has gone into prep? Thanks so much! Uncarved I see your topic is still listed ~ 15 weeks for you right?

There is a link that will send you an automated message telling you the status of your app. If it doesn't say they are working with some candidates, it hasn't gone into prep.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Herdon ~ Thanks much for your input. Yes there is a link, same message all these 14 weeks , "...it may take up to 8 weeks to review your application..." Ah, at least I know I still have a chance! Reading all the posts here on the forum, and taking the advice to prepare outlines and such. Thanks again!

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Inkkognito ~ Yes, seems that way now. I figured everyone is just writing, but could also those in prep aren't aware of this great forum, or they could just be lurking. Hmmm, wondering if there are just less folks in prep these days?

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
@inkkognito~ never losing hope, at least I got this far and still have a chance! Just impatient after a couple of months! Let's see what the New Year brings! Happy writing!

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone with an application out now who is having trouble with the 'check your application status' tool? I applied a few weeks ago, but the status checker never works for me. It says an email has been sent, but I never get it. It's not in my spam folder either. I'm more afraid that on the off chance I get accepted to prep, I won't get the email. :)

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Alex's Mommy,
Well, a newbie myself, when I send the email I get an email within about 5 minutes. Just be sure your email is set up to accept their emails, they mention this in the reply you get after you application. Reading this forum some of the folks have said it was broken at one time, so maybe that was the case. I would send them an email to be sure about it. Hope this helps~

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
About.com recently did a re-org so I am not sure who to contact about issues with the application process. I've got a post on the internal forums hoping to find out who you can contact. You definitely need to contact someone if you aren't getting a response when checking on your application and double checking to make sure it isn't caught in a spam filter. You may have entered an incorrect email address.

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
About.com recently did a re-org so I am not sure who to contact about issues with the application process. I've got a post on the internal forums hoping to find out who you can contact. You definitely need to contact someone if you aren't getting a response when checking on your application and double checking to make sure it isn't caught in a spam filter. You may have entered an incorrect email address.

Thanks, herdon. I got the initial email when I submitted my application, but the check tool just doesn't work. It says an email has been sent, so the address is ok to go, and it's definitely not getting caught in a spam filter. I tried contacting tech support about three weeks ago, and I got back: "sorry for the inconvenience. we'll notify the appropriate editor." I never heard back and it's still not working, so I'm not really sure what notifying an editor was supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.