Dragon*Con's Writer's Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just took a serious plunge and signed up for the Two Day Intensive Workshop for writers at this year's Dragon*Con (a massive sci-fi/fantasy convention in Atlanta). Last year, I took a bunch of the smaller one-hour writing classes, but this is a much more ambitious undertaking: two solid days, eight hours each, with an hour's break for lunch. I know I'm crazy, but I'm glad I signed up.

It's a limited attendance workshop, only 20 seats. The instructor is Jody Lynn Nye, a famous sci-fi author, and there are several celebrity guest lecturers, as well.

As part of the workshop, you get a personal critique of your writing by the instructor. You have to submit either a short story, or an excerpt of a novel, along with a synopsis. If you submit it electronically, in addition to physically, it will be shared in class, for others to critique, as well. A bit nerve-wracking, but I'm looking forward to it.

So, two questions. First, does anyone have any advice? I've never been to anything quite like this, so I don't know what's expected of the attendees. The web page says I'm supposed to bring a notebook and pen, and/or laptop for taking notes, along with copies of my manuscript excerpt to share with the class. Anything else I should take along?

Second, is anyone else from AW going to be there? :D

(If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where to post this kind of thing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.