Elance?

Westgate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to freelancing and someone I know recommended I set up a profile on Elance. I haven't heard much about the site, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I poked around and couldn't find anything on here about them. Thanks!

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
There have been a few threads about this site, first of all, so this is only one more opinion. I'm looking for other kinds of work via the site, but they have a sizable market for writers, editors and proofreaders. If you have no experience the entry level projects are there, and they have lots of skill tests to take in lieu of a long resume. Yes, I waste a lot of time doing that. :D
Plus, it's free. You could do worse. Sorry for the lackluster recommendation - I'm not flooded with accepted bids and work yet, but I keep trying.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My daughter sent me this link; she met the guy who wrote it while she was travelling in Asia last year. He writes for elance and has good things to say about it; the link is to his online guide.
He travels the world financing himself entirely from projects he gets through elance.

For what it's worth:

http://earnontheroad.com/download-guide/

By American standards, I’m really not (rich). I generally earn between $2,500 and $3,000 a month. But I only work 2-3 hours a day. When I look at what I make from a per-hour basis, I feel pretty good. When I look at the total I earn however, I don’t feel like I earned much. There were times when I actually feel a bit like a financial failure, by American standards.

Lseeber

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a member of elance since 2005 and have consistently gotten decent paying jobs from them. The other nice thing about elance is that they keep the payment in escrow, so if you do the work, you'll get paid.

Just last week I landed a job that will bring in a total of $320, and it looks like I'll get another job for 2k.

Remember though, elance is a job bid site with a lot of professionals, so price accordingly. Make sure you know what you want, what you can deliver, and above all that you can deliver on time.

Laura

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Well, I need some money so as to visit my mother in Guyana so I applied for a couple of ghostwriting jobs. It's actually a lot of fun -- I just spent a couple of hours taking their skills tests, which is really fun though my scores were not always as high as I thought they would be.

Interesting is this page.
https://www.elance.com/trends/skills-in-demand/writing-translation#TopSkills

It shows the growth of jobs in the field of writing and translation. It seems we are much in demand these days. I'm going to recommend the site to a couple of my German friends as there are a lot of translation jobs going; mostly English to German, which is outside my expertise.