YA Book Deals Stats

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Since we were talking about it in the other thread, I thought I'd post my findings in a new thread.

Below you'll find lots of pretty graphs and breakdowns of some trends in YA book deals. They're both from last year. I'll put the links at the end so you can check the posts out yourself because there is a lot more information in the text portions. Feel free to post links to anything you find or just general commentary. I know people tend to hate talking about money, but it is, at the very least, interesting to see how the numbers stack up.

Blah blah disclaimers about math not being perfect and not all information being available etc etc. The ones that specify genre should definitely be taken with a grain of salt because they're more indicative of trends than anything else and the time period has obviously passed. Also, the term "major deal" when used below means 500K or more.

graph2.png

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio5_250.jpg

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio4_250.jpg

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio6_250.jpg

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio1_250.jpg

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio3_250.jpg

tumblr_lxlfvl0kt71r0f4hio2_250.jpg

Links:

http://carolineinspace.blogspot.com/2011/07/growing-number-of-ya-major-deals.html

http://www.katehart.net/2011/04/ya-deals-by-numbers.html

http://www.katehart.net/2011/03/two-for-tuesday-genre-grudge-match.html

http://www.katehart.net/2011/04/ya-deals-by-numbers-part-three.html

Last edited:

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Interesting. Do be aware that some agencies don't list six figure deals or use the codes (major, significant, etc). Mine (DGLM) doesn't. ETA, I do see that you have not reported as a category (sorry, reading fail) but sometimes people assume those are all Nice deals,) anyway...carry on.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Genre should get two grains of salt b/c I categorized based on blurb + my own understanding of genre definition, which is decidedly hazy, especially in the sci fi/fantasy/magical realism areas.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Genre should get two grains of salt b/c I categorized based on blurb + my own understanding of genre definition, which is decidedly hazy, especially in the sci fi/fantasy/magical realism areas.

Oh there you are! I knew you were around here somewhere. I recognized your picture.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Oh there you are! I knew you were around here somewhere. I recognized your picture.

I'm not around much anymore, but a friend PM'd me and told me about the thread so I thought I'd come watch, since I'm obviously a little interested. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Something to consider, also, is the difference in US vs foreign deals.

I have a 2-book deal in the US and Germany, but 3 in the UK, so something like that would skew the numbers.

Also, a big advance in the US doesn't always equal a big advance overseas. Every deal is independent of the others.

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi! Yay, my first post! :partyguy: Anyway, two things:

1. The first graph, to me, seems to indicate: (a) The demand for YA that sells incredibly well a la Harry Potter, (b) the realization that not every good or even great story is going to sell as well as these major advances would demand, and (c) the growth of the YA market in general.

2. The second graph is more encouraging than I would have thought. 17% is not a bad number of debut novels--my previous guess might have been something like <1-2%

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for putting this up, Miss :) I think the thing I find so interesting is that although there seems to be this idea that Paranormal is a "dead" genre or over saturated (and supposedly has been for a couple of years) these graphs seem to indicate that it's still doing quite well and in demand. I've also heard from a number of people/sources that Contemp is a hard sell, but it would seem it's selling just fine.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's more the formulaic para-romance with the "normal" girl caught between two supers or the super and the boy next door that's at the choke point, not paranormal itself.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Great graphs, thanks!
It's interesting to see how SF-dystopia-paranormal gets more multi-book deals than contemporary (not in the great total but with regard to each sector,) probably due to the sheer amount of series in those genres (actually, I'm hard pressed to name a recent specfic YA title which is *not* a part of series)--and how hystorical is almost = fantasy (I'm guessing the kind of fantasy featured in that sector is mostly secondary world fantasy.)

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
I'm going to do updated versions of these later this month (for Mar 2011-2012)-- I'll try to bump this thread when I get them posted. It'll be interesting to see if there's noticeable change in just one year.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Kate! I definitely look forward to observing any new trends in acquisitions. Thanks for sharing the wealth

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I remember a time when contemporary YA dominated the market and the selection of paranormal fiction was fairly small. I wonder if contemporary fiction is going to make a comeback or will another genre surprise us all? It's like we are going down the list or something, LOL. Contemporary, paranormal, and dystopia had trends. Could sci-fi be next?

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for these charts Kate, and thanks missesdash for the heads up! It'd be interesting to see how some of these numbers (especially the larger deals) compare to actual sales/successes, but I don't know that that info is even available...?

Also, here's another post from Kate's blog breaking down six-figure deals by genre, which I think explains some of the perceptions I know *I* had that differ from the charts here (like... contemporary isn't a very large market, and why paranormal/dystopian seem to be oversaturated): http://www.katehart.net/2011/03/two-for-tuesday-genre-grudge-match.html

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea contemporary books got six figures. Not that I assumed one never did, but I only ever hear about them when there's a fantasy element.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
What do Nice and Very Nice mean?

Kate uses the Publisher's Marketplace deal levels. It's written underneath 'YA Deals By The Dollar'.

"nice" = $1-49K
"very nice" = $50-99K
"good" = $100-250K
"significant" = $251-499
"major" = $500,000