Reaction score
I need to meet you guys so we can do a re-enactment of that scene, LOL

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Me: *about to get in the shower*
iTunes shuffle: "I'm gonna make a change, for once in my life..."
Me: FUCK HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SHOWER NOW!

ETA: 'kay, it's over, I can shower now.

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hi. I'm also a teen who writes for teens (I'm fifteen years old.) My name's Laura Casey, or just Laura, or Lasey. :) I'm about to finish my fourth novel, I intern for a lit agency, I'm a college student going for an English major, and writing is my life! Nice to meet you all. :)

Hi Laura! Four novels, wow O_O *glances at the few comics I've managed to finish* ...You've definitely spent your time better than I have.

Edit: I'm going to bed too, night!

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Really? Awesome! Have I mentioned I love you recently?

A good person to look at is W3r0nik@ J@nczuk - she became an agent at 18 I believe, after interning at several agencies.

And no, but love is always appreciated! ;)

Elusive

kick-ass extra something special!
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*

Anyone around? :)

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Elu! How are you? Still in college?

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy howdy! I'm happy I have at least an hour or so to relax. I was planning on doing a ton of just sitting and writing tomorrow but iunno if that's gonna happen now. Seems like stuff keeps getting in the way. :/ How're you?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
kind of disheartened at the moment. I joined a crit group and no one like the scene i put up. :( Oh well.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Ah well, it happens. Take a little bit to let yourself get over the disappointment, and then go back and try to read the crits with a clearer mind. The truth is that posting a scene nobody likes and getting crits is more helpful to you in the long run than posting a scene where everyone just says "Awesome! Fab! No flaws!" because in that case you don't learn anything. Even though it's painful, learning how to make your work better is essential.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah I know... i'm just getting really confused. I wrote this scene keeping in mind what others told me about suspense and tension when i posted another scene, then this time around these people pointed out all those things and said they were wrong... If that makes any sense.

Just really getting on my nerves.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok can someone tell me what they think?

Third person, now i dont like writing in third person, but when i do I like to get into all the characters heads. Omniscient Third Person correct? Isnt that aloud and possible to do in a book without each of the characters getting there own chapter or whatever?

And another thing. Character discriptions. I was having a long conversation with my friends when we were talking about writing rules and such. One thing that keep getting brought up in my own writing but I honestly dont see what is wrong with it. Is character description. Like i said the other day one of my own huge turn offs in books is when the characters are vaugly discribed. this really bothers me because from the very beginning i like to have that clear picture of each character in my mind. That is why in my own writing i discribe my characters usually only in two or three sentences. For example:

Maxwell Wash, was a tall and lanky thirteen year-old, with shaggy dark brown hair and brown eyes. Unlike his two best friends his noes and cheeks only harbored light freckles

Is that sooooooo against the rules? Really? I understand its a bit of telling, but is it really going to kill anyone? From what my one friend told me Harry Potter characters are described in a very similar way. I also know other books that do the same thing... So is it just a matter of personal opinion or is it just TOOO much telling?

Last edited:

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score

Third person, now i dont like writing in third person, but when i do I like to get into all the characters heads. Omniscient Third Person correct? Isnt that aloud and possible to do in a book without each of the characters getting there own chapter or whatever?

I'm not saying it can't be done well but I've never read a book like that and knowing the large number of characters you have, being in all their heads at once would drive me insane.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
City of Fallen Angels by C@ss@ndr@ Cl@re is third omniscient.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
no the only third person part only has three characters in it. Not the normal 6-8. Is three too many?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
no the only third person part only has three characters in it. Not the normal 6-8. Is three too many?

If we're talking terms of point of view characters, for me personally three is fine. I prefer no more than four because after that, they get really hard to keep track of. Plus there's an added complication of making sure the voices are all distinct.

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score

And another thing. Character discriptions. I was having a long conversation with my friends when we were talking about writing rules and such. One thing that keep getting brought up in my own writing but I honestly dont see what is wrong with it. Is character description. Like i said the other day one of my own huge turn offs in books is when the characters are vaugly discribed. this really bothers me because from the very beginning i like to have that clear picture of each character in my mind. That is why in my own writing i discribe my characters usually only in two or three sentences. For example:

Is that sooooooo against the rules? Really? I understand its a bit of telling, but is it really going to kill anyone? From what my one friend told me Harry Potter characters are described in a very similar way. I also know other books that do the same thing... So is it just a matter of personal opinion or is it just TOOO much telling?

I'm going to reply to this simply because I was recently talking about a similar issue at one of my crit groups.

Omni POV is extremely hard to write. The problem with it is that, unless you're a highly skilled writer (I'm not saying you're not one), it's difficult to get into a deep POV with any of the characters. I'm assuming you write YA? Then you probably want deep POV. The YA books being published as of late are more emotional/character driven rather than plot driven. It goes back to the simple fact that teens are emotional people. Therefore, teens want emotional books. And a deep POV allows you to develop that character and their emotional state to the fullest.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you want a deep POV, avoid Omni POV. Unless you have years of experience and have mastered the craft of writing, and can pull off a kick-ass Omni.

As for the character description. Yes, I find something wrong with that. Well, it's not necessarily wrong, it's just tell-y and not very much in POV. Were it in POV, either:
a) the person describing the character would probably have more of an emotional reaction to the description
b) assuming the person being describing IS the MC, he wouldn't notice these details about himself

Either way, it needs a touch up.

Hope this helped. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone!

Thank you Casey.

I agree with you alot on your point.

But now this brings me to farther questions that deals with my story in particular. You see my first book is in first person. Its only the first two chapters that are in Omni Third. And that Omni third person is the narrator/MC who hasn't been drug into the situation yet. Why? Well because if it just started with the first person MC's POV then there would be a massive info-dump of the other characters having to catch her up on what the hell is going on. This way i show it and avoid the info-dump/telling.

This also brings up the question of the descriptions. Its implied at the beginning that the narrator (who says she's not been dragged into the situation yet) is the one telling the account of what happened to the other three MC's. So would the descriptions rule still really count? I really dont see the harm in a sentence description, to get my point of what they look like across. In my opinion, with the level of action in the first few pages alone its a much better time saving technique then "Showing" it.

Yes i know you guys haven't read my book but from what i hear from others Harry Potter people are described in a similar way. Never really thought about these questions before because i've never seen a book written that changes POV like mine so I figured bending the rules wasn't a problem. Its just my first three chapters are holding the book back it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.