Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
LISA!

Don't celebrate at 10k. Celebrating at 10k, for me, always guarantees I don't finish a novel.

Because 10k feels magnificent. 10k feels like you've finally gotten past the hard part. 10k feels like you're in this for the long run.

10k is a liar.

The first 10k, you're introducing your characters. You're setting up the conflict. You're excited by the novel, and though it's tough, you know where it's going.

Then you get to the next 10k. Which, you tell yourself, won't be as hard. You're past that lousy beginning part, right? Wrong. Now your characters are starting to think for themselves. They've reached the rebellious teens. You're no longer writing them, they're writing themselves, and just like with teenagers, you can't let them run amok or they'll self-destruct, but you can't keep them trapped on a narrow path. You're reaching the worst part of the book to read and to write: you're no longer at the beginning, when everything is brilliant and new, but you haven't gotten to the middle, when everything's starting to come together and you're racing to the climax. This is usually the part of the book requiring the most editing, and the only way to truly write it is to sit down, ask your characters what they want to do, and modify your plans for them. Write crazy, and write true, and hit 20k before you start feeling accomplished.

Don't quite get it? Here's an example: in my first outline of Mad As A Hatter, when Corwin couldn't find anything out about the murders the honorable way, he turned to... less honorable sources. When I reached that part, though, Corwin would not let me write it. At first, I was mad at him. I wanted him to have a dark side, to challenge what he should be. And then he told me why. He told me that he was just as determined, just as cunning, and just as angry as his enemies. The one thing that separated them was, he said, his unwillingness to go against his values. He would not be a hypocrite: he would rather die than lose himself in a search for justice, because justice without morals is no different than vengeance.

And so I let him do what he wanted to do, and I let the others characters do what they wanted to do, and every night I wrote 2k-3k words, no matter what, and in a week I reached 25k. That weekend, I wrote the next 25k in a mad frenzy.

The only other novel I've finished, The Rain Legacy, I wrote in a week of horrible strep throat using the same technique.

Almost every other novel has had me cheering at 10k. And none of those ever got much further than that.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I celebrate every time I write. Every time is one step closer to finishing the WIP. I tend to post my word counts a whole lot on my FB fan page/regular page/Twitter, celebrating the progress I just made.

As for your 10K thing, Tally, I've had quite a lot of attempts at novels, and I've hit lulls in the single digits, the teens, the 20's, 30's, 40's. It's not really a pattern for me. But I know there are many people who tend to get bogged down once they've hit the middle. So to each his own, I suppose.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
New blog! http://theallycat.livejournal.com/

Giving out writing advice.

And yes, Karla. What I'm trying to say is that 10k, while awesome, isn't really that far in, and that when you think you can slack off and celebrate is usually when you should keep writing. Yeah?

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess.

I've signed up for another summer class. So instead of starting summer school in mid-July, I'm starting NEXT WEEK. I think I'm gonna tell my psychiatrist to keep the med she originally wanted to wean me off. Withdrawal symptoms will be THE WORST THING EVER for me if they get in the way of my studies.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
See, I write chapter-by-chapter. (Something I picked up from my dad, no reason for it really.) So I never have any idea how far along I am in the word count grand scheme. I'm certainly past 10,000 by now. And you're totally right it's only gotten worse.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh it's a good thing! I've been worried that when it comes to submitting my book proposal, the one thing really holding me back is my lack of official credentials, because while I know my topic it's not like anime is something I can get a PhD in, and my blog is still pretty new. Well I just got an email from the PR/marketing director for FUNimation Entertainment (one of the larger anime companies) asking if they can use a few quotes from one of my reviews for official advertisements. SCORE!

I'm sitting at home doing a mental happy dance, seriously.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to wait until next week for the next DW! My friend already saw it and totally spoiled something for me. I want it now!

Also, I should really be writing. I've been out of school for 4 days and I haven't written a single word in LL.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Oh it's a good thing! I've been worried that when it comes to submitting my book proposal, the one thing really holding me back is my lack of official credentials, because while I know my topic it's not like anime is something I can get a PhD in, and my blog is still pretty new. Well I just got an email from the PR/marketing director for FUNimation Entertainment (one of the larger anime companies) asking if they can use a few quotes from one of my reviews for official advertisements. SCORE!

I'm sitting at home doing a mental happy dance, seriously.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Parump :D

And I feel your pain on the writing front, Zoe. Granted part of it for me is that I've been cleaning my room, but I keep getting on the computer, opening my writing, and then not actually doing anything with it. It's terrible, haha.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been making up excuses, but their viable excuses.
"I need to read so I can write reviews to post on my blog! I don't want publishers getting mad!" or "But it is summer, I must sleep an abnormal amount!"
When the truth is, I need to pull a BIC and write for like 14 hours straight.
*looks at word count and June 17th deadline*

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
What's the June 17th deadline? Sorry, I haven't been around much lately.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
My friend and I challenged ourselves to finish the first drafts of our novels by my birthday (June 17th).

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh. I'm going to assume you're working with the one in your signature then, and wish you the best of luck. Serious BIC needed here.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the one in my signature. I can do it-I've read 20k in a weekend before, so it's possible for me to write that much. I am just still in lazy mode.

I wish you the best of BIC! :D

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Back at you! :D

ETA: That said, I need to sleep. G'night!

Last edited:

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon guys~ I'm painting the city hall or whatever it's called right now. I think I've managed to get paint on every particle of cloth I own...

I'm congratulating myself everytime I write too, although it's mostly doodles and planning right now.
How do you guys go from getting an idea to actually writing it?

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :)
Is the paint soluble in water?

I'm just writing it. Open document and write down whatever comes to my mind. I think I'm just too lazy to plan/plot/outline anything. Sometimes though I actually think a few days before I write something but those are exceptions.
However I need a point to work towards to. So I always know the end to a story.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon guys~ I'm painting the city hall or whatever it's called right now. I think I've managed to get paint on every particle of cloth I own...

I'm congratulating myself everytime I write too, although it's mostly doodles and planning right now.

1. Get idea
2. Write down everything I know about idea so I don't forget
3. Sometimes I then wait for awhile just to see if the idea "sticks" or until I'm finished working on my current project. And sometimes I just skip this part.
4. Open word document. Start typing.

Sometimes I might do a little research, brainstorm, or very lightly outline before I start. But not usually. Or I try to do that stuff and somehow I get sucked into starting the story without it.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score

I outline. Or at least pin down enough of the plot that I know where it's headed. (Often times I do this verbally with a friend, or a cat --it really doesn't matter.) Then I do a vague "What do I want to accomplish?" for each scene.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
With AM I knew where I was headed with it from the beginning. I also did an outline, kind of. But then I reached the end of my outline, and it wasn't the end of the story. So I'm kind of winging it now.

...I really should go to bed. It's 7am and I've been awake since between 9-10am yesterday. ...But I'm not sure I'm tired enough to fall asleep yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.