Word Perfect X6 is really pissing me off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I keep running into issues with "phantom" headers. They just randomly show up on different pages. I click "Discontinue" on some, and they'll disappear only to come back the next time I open a document. It's infuriating. Then, some won't go away at all...the computer doesn't believe they exist, yet there they are.

Plus, Corel only offers "paid" support, so I can't ask them what they screwed up in their software. It's really annoying because it throws off the alignment of all my text.

Why does this keep happening and how can I fix it?

Argh! :rant:

Deleted member 42

Check to see if there are Section options? This used to be in WP under layout, but I've not had access to it since 2002 . . .

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I keep running into issues with "phantom" headers. They just randomly show up on different pages. I click "Discontinue" on some, and they'll disappear only to come back the next time I open a document.

I presume WP still has the incomparable "Reveal Codes" function? It's searchable for codes -- you have one stuck somewhere that you can't see in WYSIWYG mode, but it's still there.

Also, did you choose a default style that has a header? if it's happening with every document you open, that's likely the problem. (It may be set for every other page, which could make it look random.)

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I presume WP still has the incomparable "Reveal Codes" function? It's searchable for codes -- you have one stuck somewhere that you can't see in WYSIWYG mode, but it's still there.

Also, did you choose a default style that has a header? if it's happening with every document you open, that's likely the problem. (It may be set for every other page, which could make it look random.)

No, I made sure I didn't select a style with a header. It's not every other page...it's just a couple random pages over 100 pages into the document. :tongue And really, it's just with this one document, but if you try and copy and paste the material over to a new document, the phantom headers go with it.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Check your autocorrect to see if you're using a string of characters that is automatically replaced with a command. I usually have to turn off this function when I get a new version of the software because it does weird things like a c) in a list turning into a copyright symbol.

Also open Reveal Codes and see if the first hidden command on that page is [DelayCode], which means the actual header command is either in the text of the previous page or at the beginning of the manuscript.

But at least with WP, you can find and remove the annoyance. :) It's why I'll always use WordPerfect for writing!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Also open Reveal Codes and see if the first hidden command on that page is [DelayCode], which means the actual header command is either in the text of the previous page or at the beginning of the manuscript.

That's a good thought. I've never used [DelayCode] -- does it have a string with it specifying the location?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
DelayCode isn't something you can use, per se. It's just an internal notation that some command exists elsewhere that affects this page. An earlier code, like adjusted margins or header/footer, pagination or widow/orphan, is out there somewhere. I wish it would say what, or where, but it's not that sophisticated. Alas...

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ty: so very much for responses on this thread. WordPerfect has been my preference for writing since the '80s, so I'm filing these helps in case I should need them. It's also good to know where to find other users. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.