Legal issues with publishing an anthology of personal stories?

PsalmSeven

Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea to publish and sell an ebook full of personal anecdotes from volunteer contributors. I've never done this kind of thing before, though, and I want to make sure I don't step on any toes or get tangled up in any legal issues as a result of ignorance.

Would it be enough for me to write up a detailed agreement between myself and potential contributors? I was thinking it might look something like this (this is only a rough version for use as an example):

By sending your submission to [email address], you agree that:
-You are the sole author and owner of said work.
-The publisher may include your submission, in part or in whole, in the book: [Title goes here].
-The publisher is not obligated to provide any compensation or royalties for the work.
-The publisher may make minor spelling and grammar corrections to the work.
-The publisher may change the names of real persons to disguise and protect their identities.

So...am I going about this the right way, or all wrong? Any advice or links to informative sources would be greatly appreciated--but please be nice, as this is a very new idea for me and I'm just trying to get a feel for the requirements before I commit. Thanks. :)

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't ask for legal advice online, go see a lawyer--more precisely, a literary lawyer.