Funny book trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Brilliant. I've never seen a book trailer before that I didn't think was a total waste of time. That actually shows you that the format can work.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha that is excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.

Thanks. One of these days I'll figure out what goes where...

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Alitriona. I gave up halfway through, although I thought the plate being dragged across the table was modestly amusing.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It got much funnier after that.

"What do you think of the title?"
"I don't like it because it's written in red and my mother-in-law likes red and she's a horrible person."
"O-kay... Derek, what do you think?"
"I agree with Katrina."
"About what? The colour or her mother-in-law?"
"All of it."

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it made too many assumptions about my prior knowledge of such things. I had no expectations for them to subvert :D.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Thought it was great. Not your usual book trailer. I'll be far more likely to remember the title and check out the book now that I've had a laugh at the clever trailer. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like it could be a funny debut too as the main character has to write a Super Bowl commercial for his diaper account.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I see an article (or rather, an unfunny first paragraph), but no trailer. Does it require registration with the New Yorker?

Wait -- is it the same as this video? Not very funny. Knowing the author of the novel wrote this video makes it less likely I'd read it.

And, one of the review quotes at the end contains the word "stunning". Prejudices me against that review, and by extension, against the novel.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Funniest book trailer I've ever seen, by an advertising guy---no surprise there.

Funny is great, but selling books is more than that. This trailer covers the characters and the summary of the story, and repeats the title over and over until it's impossible to forget. So it accomplishes the unfunny commercial function, too.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
It made me chuckle a bit. Considering most book trailers make me really not want to buy the book, that's saying something. Will I go out an buy the book? Probably not. I might look into it if I finish my current reading list and still remember the title and author, though.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.
You lasted longer than I. I clicked out on "where's the bathroom?" I could see what they were doing because I've seen it done before: let's get a focus group together but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion but we need to get get the opinion of a focus group because we need to get the demographic's opinion and the only way we can do that is get a focus group but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion, etc., REPEAT UNTIL DEAD.

That, and I'm a notoriously hard sell on book trailers. Some might say impossible. I saw how long it was and my first thought was ALMOST FOUR MINUTES FOR A $#%@ING COMMERCIAL?! Then I reminded myself I've sat through Gone with the Wind in a theater twice, so what's almost four minutes watching a video online? A lot when I'm not being entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.