• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Totally Entwined Group / Totally Bound (formerly Total-e-bound)

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
The gap left by ARe has likely been filled by Amazon, Kobo, etc.

I think it's too soon. The burning sting from what happened at ARe is still too recent and raw for authors, small publishers, and readers alike. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Regarding website aesthetics, the white text on the purple background hurts my eyes.
Also, the caricatures of the Bonnier Publishing employees on their website just scared the pants off me, in the same way clowns do. :chair There will be nightmares for me tonight.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It actually predated ARE crashing based one the url and domain. But FWIW is I think a romance-only etailer is a niche Amazon can't really fill. Many authors sold more books at ARE than any other site.

The.Ms.Q

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hearing some rumbling about staff layoffs. :(

Today I got an interesting e-mail from one of their editors on a submission, and was told essentially that my manuscript was being rejected not because there was anything wrong with it but because they're not taking on any new Authors at this time. Also the editor didn't send it from their official Totally Bound e-mail but their personal e-mail. They also told me that they shopped it to a smaller press who accepted it which was weird and something I'd never had happen before.

So no, this doesn't bode well for them, which is sad because I've been trying to get in with a medium sized publisher forever, I suck at doing my own marketing.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few books with Totally Entwined Group. Circa two weeks ago we received a newsletter: a reminder they were acquired by Bonnier two years ago and info that they are now 'streamlining the business for future growth'. Heads have rolled, including their head of cover art, who does an amazing job. They are limiting the number of books they publish per week, effective from October (two books per week, I believe), and they are suspending submissions from authors who do not already write for them. This is not to say that in-house submissions will be picked up, of course, just that if you already write for TEG you can submit. They are also limiting the number of books going into POD. We have been assured the same level of service with regards to marketing activities. That's all I know.

ETA: editors are also being laid off, though not all of them, apparently. And the person in charge of marketing. 'Streamlining'.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Also the editor didn't send it from their official Totally Bound e-mail but their personal e-mail. They also told me that they shopped it to a smaller press who accepted it which was weird and something I'd never had happen before.

Wait, what? Like they submitted it to another publisher without telling you?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Yes, the editor seemed very interested in my work and I guess discussed it with a smaller press they have an in with.

That...seems like a pretty significant breach of protocol if they didn't tell you first. I would be *pissed* if an editor took it upon themselves to sub my book to another publisher. For one thing, that would be seriously awkward if I didn't want to work with that publisher. At the very least, I would expect something like that to be cleared through me first.

The.Ms.Q

Registered
Reaction score
That...seems like a pretty significant breach of protocol if they didn't tell you first. I would be *pissed* if an editor took it upon themselves to sub my book to another publisher. For one thing, that would be seriously awkward if I didn't want to work with that publisher. At the very least, I would expect something like that to be cleared through me first.

Yeah, I turned them down (I'm already with one small press for 3 other books) it wasn't a big deal for me but I'm relatively laid back. At first they said they'd do it if I asked them on another title I subbed mid-summer, but I never got back with them and they did it anyway. Side note is there another publisher with a similar reach that isn't going through this?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Side note is there another publisher with a similar reach that isn't going through this?

Really depends on your book. I can point you in a few directions if it's queer romance; if not, I would start digging around for similar (in terms of genre/audience) books and see who's publishing them.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I would be *pissed* if an editor took it upon themselves to sub my book to another publisher. For one thing, that would be seriously awkward if I didn't want to work with that publisher.

Holy cow, yeah. And even more awkward if that publisher was one I already had a book with under a different pen name that I wanted kept completely separate, or if the publisher was one I'd already had an unpleasant experience with in the past. So utterly not cool, deigning to act as an agent and without the author's explicit consent. I would be interested in this editor's name so I can avoid them.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'd like a name too, even if it's by PM. Because at the moment, there's no way in hell I'll work with an editor who's currently working for TEG because I have no way of knowing if I can trust them.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This, squared. Romancelandia is full of freelance editors who work with many different publishers. This stunt was a violation of ethics & good business. Maybe the editor meant well, or they were just being lazy or greedy. Doesn't matter: it happened.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Is it bad of them to reject a MS and submit to another press without asking first? Had that happen to one of my MS, but didn't think anything of it. I can't really want to complain since they sent it to a press who don't normally take unagented submissions.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad of them to reject a MS and submit to another press without asking first? Had that happen to one of my MS, but didn't think anything of it. I can't really want to complain since they sent it to a press who don't normally take unagented submissions.

It's inappropriate for them to do so without your permission. You submitted your MS to get it published with them, not someone else, and you didn't authorize them to act as your agent.

Furthermore, it puts you in an awkward situation if the other publisher accepts when you don't want to publish with them. And even when you do, you might have planned to submit your MS at a few other places first before going to that other publisher. Now they already have your manuscript and you either need to tell them no and burn that particular bridge, or say yes and forgo publishing at your preferred place.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
It's inappropriate for them to do so without your permission. You submitted your MS to get it published with them, not someone else, and you didn't authorize them to act as your agent.

Furthermore, it puts you in an awkward situation if the other publisher accepts when you don't want to publish with them. And even when you do, you might have planned to submit your MS at a few other places first before going to that other publisher. Now they already have your manuscript and you either need to tell them no and burn that particular bridge, or say yes and forgo publishing at your preferred place.

All of this.

If the person asks first, and you're okay with it, fine. But doing it without your permission? Highly inappropriate.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Forgive my dunceness, but is there one url that includes all the imprints, new or old, from one company name? Bonnier is the buyout source, but are they called Bonnier Publishing. I notice a USA publisher by that name. I thought the original company was English. Please forgive, I've been away and ill for a long time.