Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I previously quoted warning posts left on a PA author's guestbook. The author posted on the guestbook as well, to say,

I have had serious reservations about PublishAmerica for almost a year now. I too think they are having deep financial problems but I think rather than go under they will be bought out. Either way, the losers will be the authors like us and all the new authors that they sign up every day.

At least he's not upset by the warnings - and he can see that it's an author mill.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd worry if someone bought PA out. Unless someone did so only with the intent of releasing every single author from their contract, they're either completely unaware of what PA is or they're just as bad as the Stooges.

quagsire440

Registered
Reaction score
If PA says it anywhere, it's fair game.

If a PA author says it, we want to be careful how we respond.
It's best to assume they are naive and uninformed, not deliberately misleading, and show them the same respect you would a member of this forum.
One day they may read your words here, so speak carefully. :)

We have many former PA authors who participate here.

I wasn't trying to bash PA authors. If it came across that way, I apologize. I just wanted to comment on how, well, misled that person was.

I did edit my post to clarify how I really felt. Thank you.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to bash PA authors. If it came across that way, I apologize. I just wanted to comment on how, well, misled that person was.

I did edit my post to clarify how I really felt. Thank you.
No criticism intended. :)

It was an opportunity to remind everyone we are here to bash PA, not bash PA authors.
It's so tempting to cross over the line when you see some of the garbage they believe, at least for me.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Does this newbie's post seem, uh, weird? It's more groveling than the usual grovel.
Well its finally has come true. After going through many publishers in this time of Struggle. I want to thank PA for this dream come true on making a labor of Love come a reality. Now I am jut waiitng for that release date. I am also on Facebook as well Myspace if you want to know more about it. Well until I get my ISBN code to do my website. But again I want to thank PA for everything and trust me in this world. When it all comes to selling your book. It is down to only one person. YOU! And I totally agree with what PA does. So I support this company.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Reality will bite hard . . .

The book will never be available via Amazon or B&N unless she coughs up the cash to get B&T to print it cuz PA has apparently flunked the credit check.

Riddle me this:

If a PAer buys the 'gimme 5, send 5 to Amazon' deal and PA ACTUALLY sends 5 to Amazon (hey, stick with me, this is a hypothetical) and they sell via Amazon, will the writer get royalties for these sales or are they the same as if she had sold them out of the trunk of her car???

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Reality will bite hard . . .

Riddle me this:

If a PAer buys the 'gimme 5, send 5 to Amazon' deal and PA ACTUALLY sends 5 to Amazon (hey, stick with me, this is a hypothetical) and they sell via Amazon, will the writer get royalties for these sales or are they the same as if she had sold them out of the trunk of her car???

Trunk sales. No royalties on the books as they were already purchased at a discount.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
When it all comes to selling your book. It is down to only one person. YOU!

Yes!

Providing you send it to a real publisher, not a print mill run by evil clowns whose job is to sell your own book back to you at a premium price.

Giving your book the chance it deserves since 1999!

post-39485-1221579102.jpg

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
A PA newbie who was using PA "as an experiment" sees the light and posts it on his blog.

I still have yet to get a release date, and I have yet to get an authors copy, but I think that the experiment is officially over as the $30 sale tag makes them virtually worthless, even if they live up to their hype about helping you to get book signings etc. The only hope you would have is to take one of their own sales of like 80% off, and then buy a bunch of the books, and resell them at that signing or event. Beyond that, it just doesn’t make any sense to use them unless all you want is to get yourself a free authors copy.

There's more on his blog. At least he negotiated for a contract wherein he retained the e-book rights.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A PA newbie who was using PA "as an experiment" sees the light and posts it on his blog.

There's more on his blog. At least he negotiated for a contract wherein he retained the e-book rights.

The end of his post is most telling:

I’ll keep you updated still on progress with Publish America. We will see if I actually get a free authors copy, or if they offer anything else. Other wise I’m rating Publish America as a big Don’t do.

But that really shouldn’t be too surprising as there is more then enough information out there showing that you should avoid PA at all costs. Myself, I’m one of those people that have to check things out for myself, and since I’m over flowing with book ideas, having one stuck in contract for seven years is no big deal to me. After all, I was selling my book in eBook form before I went to PA, and I’m still selling it, as I had a special contract made that allowed me to keep my eBook rights, otherwise I would never have done this experiment.

And I'm with QoS. This guy's hard to read. He's pretty sure he knows what he needs to know, but some of his posts on the PAMB seem intentional rather than sincere.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Latest problems on the PAMB

The first is from an eighteen-year-old writer. You're never too young to be scammed.

My book is not showing up at amazon.com at all.....And, the week that my book was supposed to be released, it was not on the website's weeks releases. So can you please tell me what's happening?

The second is a bit more unusual... and embarassing.

I want to know who I can talk to to get corrections made on my book. I had sent in my corrections for my book when they asked me the first time and I found like 65 mistakes, not including the ones in my Bio.

When my book was sent to me, I had asumed that all of the mistakes had been taken care of. I was wrong in that mistake.

Just last week did my mom come to me and tell me that she had been getting phone calls from our friends and family members that have boughten my book, telling her that there are TONS of mistakes.

So, I grabbed my book and finally took a good look at it. Sure enough, ALL of the mistakes that I had corrected, were now mistakes and weren't corrected like I had been promised.

I'm just a little bit upset about this.

So today, I had gotten an email saying that I would have to buy 7 or more copies of my book inorder for me to get corrections made. Which I think is stupid because it's not my fault that these corrections weren't corrected.

Can someone from PA Please contact me and explain to me why this is and how I can get this fixed. Because my High School and teachers have ALL bought my book too. And I'm a little embarressed to say that I wrote this book and there are TONS of mistakes in it.

She posted about this on Facebook as well.

hey guys, I'm waiting to hear from my publisher. Seems like there are TONS of mistakes in my book that I personally have fixed before giving the ok to send my book to print.

Last edited:

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
My book is not showing up at amazon.com at all.....And, the week that my book was supposed to be released, it was not on the website's weeks releases. So can you please tell me what's happening?

Just a warning AWers, I clicked through to the 18-year-olds webs.com website and got a big honking virus/scam warning. She has some widget or other foolishness installed that harvests info. Don't go there!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Petition to shut down PA

Anyone seen this?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/shut-down-publish-america

There was a link on the PA FB wall.

I'm not sure if the facts are true that PA has been in Chapter 7 since '04. Huh?

Anyone? Bueller?

(JulieB--I could NOT resist, you had the Bueller thing first!)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
300,000? Doesn't PA only claim 40,000?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen this?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/shut-down-publish-america

There was a link on the PA FB wall.

I'm not sure if the facts are true that PA has been in Chapter 7 since '04. Huh?

Anyone? Bueller?

(JulieB--I could NOT resist, you had the Bueller thing first!)

I'm kind of leery of their "facts". Just look at the heading:

There are over 300,000 scammed, slammed and damned Authors who's careers are in limbo. Help us shut down this Predator Publishing Company. Authors are receiving NO ROYALTIES, NO BOOK SIGNINGS, PA HAS BREACHED THEIR PART OF THE CONTRACT and PA has been in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy since 2004.

300,000 is a lot higher than any number PA's ever stated as their customer base.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Just a warning AWers, I clicked through to the 18-year-olds webs.com website and got a big honking virus/scam warning. She has some widget or other foolishness installed that harvests info. Don't go there!

The blog in post 2788 had one too. I went to go to the main page of his blog and the link in my left corner on my task bar had botd2 in the link, then flipped to the regular link. Could be the host sites or something their doing???

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The first is from an eighteen-year-old writer. You're never too young to be scammed.

I can beat that. I was scammed by "International Library of Poetry" at 12. Sent my poem in on my English teacher's recommendation. I've said this before, but luckily I only lost a poem. It's so sad to see a teen who's actually willing to put in the effort to write (and edit!) their own book and lose it to a scam like PA.