The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why is the end of the story always the hardest bit to write?

And if this one gets a no, I am totally writing a story about magical tummy raspberries.

I think the end is the easiest to write. It's getting everything down under 10K that's the challenge for me.

And I'll beta for you, IRU, if you can wait 'til the beginning of the week for mine. ETA: I can read yours first, if you'd like. I know you're good for it. ;)

Last edited:

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Hrm. I've got something I might be able to submit... *pokes at it*

Madly curious what the cover art for something as non-themed as this will look like. Is that being worked on already? Or will you base it on one of the stories? /overly-curious nitpicky art girl

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Just noticed this. I'll be working on something to submit!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Artwork.
I apologize for not mentioning this initially. The anthology will be illustrated, much like Analog or Asimov's is, with a color cover and b&w internal introductory images. We will accept tear sheets from prospective illustrators for consideration.
Interested artists should send not more than three examples of your work (in .jpg format not greater than 1280 x 720 pixels, and not larger than 500kb in size) to [email protected].​

Yay, artwork!!!!

When you refer to Analog and Asimov, are you just referring to the print medium or are you referring to the actual style of the artwork?

My question being... Is the anthology more open to conventional concept art that's seen in the genre? Or are you guys excited to see something unique and atypical to an SF/F magazine cover?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, artwork!!!!
:D

When you refer to Analog and Asimov, are you just referring to the print medium or are you referring to the actual style of the artwork?
Yes.

My question being... Is the anthology more open to conventional concept art that's seen in the genre? Or are you guys excited to see something unique and atypical to an SF/F magazine cover?
Right now, my idea for the volume is to present it along the lines of late 1950s pulp SF/F magazines. We'll use higher quality paper (if you spring for the paper volume) but the LOOK will be retro.

That said, I am not opposed to looking at any style of Science Fiction or Fantasy artwork, and I think the cover, especially, needs to be a blend of both.

But yeah, color: garish colors, in primaries. The title will be a big splash in bold sans serif, with other words touting how great the contents are, yadda yadda. Interiors: B&W, of course; Strong contrasts, each illustration should pick up the theme of the story it accompanies. Imagery: lots of tentacles, swords, rocket ships, ray guns, multiple moons, voluptuous people in space suits (yes, both men and women), dragons, etc.

Right away, I want to see what you folks can produce. Once we have the collection identified, I will assign illustrations to selected artists.

This is going to be FUN!

Peter. :D

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
What's the expected pay rate for artwork if you do decide to include interior illustrations?

I'm interested in sending submissions for both aspects. :)

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
What's the expected pay rate for artwork if you do decide to include interior illustrations?

I'm interested in sending submissions for both aspects. :)
Pay?
For art?
What's that?
Seriously, the pay might be glory, especially the interior stuff. But there might possibly be some cash. I'll get back to you on this.

Just to make sure, our submissions should also include a title page, right?
A formal cover letter isn't required (we know you because you're a member here) but you will want to provide some way for us to contact you. But we will strip out all identifying information for the selection panel.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Just to make sure, our submissions should also include a title page, right?

We're not really too hung up on stuff like a title page -- the site Peter linked to earlier, explaining standard manuscript format does provide an excellent template in general.

What I *am* seeing, though, is a handful of submissions with .doc and .docx files attached. When electronic submission markets ask for a specific file type (we asked for .rtf) there's a reason for that request -- and it's a bad idea to disregard that request.

(If this is you, don't panic. If I can't open the file, I'll simply email you and ask you to reformat and send it again. Not every editor will do this, however.)

I've got NO idea what payment to offer for an informal, semi-pro level short story market, in terms of illustrations. Input, please? What's appropriate?

And, weirdly, I've had two novel submissions -- one complete manuscript, and one that ends at chapter three, with a cryptic note that the remainder is still in progress. I'm simply going to trust that neither of those are from AWers, here, right?

The first round of "Nope this won't work -- got something else to send?" and "You've made it to the next level of considerations, hang in there" will be going out tonight and tomorrow, by the way, if all goes according to plan.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
And, weirdly, I've had two novel submissions -- one complete manuscript, and one that ends at chapter three, with a cryptic note that the remainder is still in progress. I'm simply going to trust that neither of those are from AWers, here, right?

Oh good you got my--:Ssh:

Er, what chump sent you that, eh? heh heh.
:e2bummed:

I've got NO idea what payment to offer for an informal, semi-pro level short story market, in terms of illustrations. Input, please? What's appropriate?

I will shoot you a PM with all that I know on this sordid and complex question that most definitely does not have a definitive answer. ;)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I hope to start a second draft of my submission and send it next Monday. No chance for a second round, but I think that is for the better if the first one is good enough.

By the way, would be rude to ask around how many submissions are expected and how many have been received so far?

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
My submission is fighting with me tooth and nail, damn things trying to become a novel like the rest of em. Good luck to everyone :D.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Max, I have no idea how many to expect, I had somewhere between twenty and thirty at last count -- but several more have come in, today, as well.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
And, submissions are open for three weeks. :)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
MJNL, it's looking like we'll offer $20 for the B&W art --asking for one year, nonexclusive rights for both an e-book and a POD edition.

That's not set in stone, yet -- but I'm leaning pretty hard that direction.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Calling Spec Fic Artists! Anthology Illustration Opportunity!

All right you guys, we have rates. For art, that is (you already know about the 2¢/word bit for stories).

I have no idea how many stories will be selected. That'll depend on how big they are, and the whim of the reader panel. But I do know how many of those stories will get a lead-in illustration: 10. That's right: ten black and white drawings that will highlight one feature of ten of the stories in our book.

For each of these, we will pay $20.

Then there is the book cover itself. I am looking for artists willing to provide a color illustration that will be indicative of the tone of the anthology, possibly a montage, with a retro feel. For the cover art, we pay $300.

Once we know more about the contents of the anthology, we'll know more to give artists direction. Choice of medium is up to the artist--the only criteria is that the final work be easily reproduced by .jpg for the e-book and by photo-offset lithograph for the paper books.

Schedule for art is as follows:
Interested artists may submit tear sheets (samples) of their style to me, at [email protected], until Sept. 15.

Selected artists will be assigned a story (or stories) within a week following selection by the reader panel, which should be no later than the end of September. Artists will then have approximately 30 days to produce final art.

I'm looking forward to some really cool stuff from you guys...I know there are lots of you out there who do sketches and other art for your own stories. Let's see what you have!​

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I know I'm a giant nerd, and I'm not even necessarily expecting to get into this thing, but I just wanted to say thanks to those involved in putting this together. What a cool opportunity for AW people.

I am really excited about this anthology.

And now I'll shut up and sit in my corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.