don't quit your day job

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Oxford is nice I went to two museums there. I went to this museum which had all these old mummies in and it was like walking into a colonial house in South Africa in the 1800s.

On the street near it was this other museum which had all these old regal robes from the 1500s. I forgot the name but Oxford was busy.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh so jealous of all you English people! You and your pretty countryside and beautiful old buildings. Here in Australia if a building was built in the 1800s we're like 'WHOA SO OLD!!!' At least my town has some of the best history in Aus. One day my sister and I will be living in London, though. *fingers crossed*

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, Becca, that place does seem like an amazing alien planet! And it's gorgeous. Oxford would seem faaar more boring in comparison :D

(Brief thread derail: how's your new NaNo WIP going? Dark reader that I am, I'm morbidly curious...)

Not as boring as Cambridge! lol auto-response. *thinks of compliment about Cambridge* in this year's boat race, your blond cox guy was pretty hot... ;)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I went through Cambridge on a train two months ago :D It looked nice. But countryside looks really boring compared to where I come from.

Wow, that looks gorgeous! My mum went on holiday near there, and she said it was breathtaking.

Here's where I grew up, and I personally think it's prettier than Cambridge OR Oxford - but I might be biased lol ;)

@fredXgeorge - if you like old buildings, you have to visit Dartmouth, in South West England - half the buildings are Tudor, from the 1500s - pretty, but the one I worked in was freezing in the winter and a sauna in the summer lol

/derail :)

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that looks gorgeous! My mum went on holiday near there, and she said it was breathtaking.

Here's where I grew up, and I personally think it's prettier than Cambridge OR Oxford - but I might be biased lol ;)

@fredXgeorge - if you like old buildings, you have to visit Dartmouth, in South West England - half the buildings are Tudor, from the 1500s - pretty, but the one I worked in was freezing in the winter and a sauna in the summer lol

/derail :)

Hahaha, Amy, no way you're from the South West too? I'm from Cornwall! Are you actually at the grand old Oxford? (If so, when do they finish? Cambridge has already finished, brag brag.)

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
We do have a lot of rain. A lot. But I live in Oxford now (note to self: update AW location info) and I love it. It's not as pretty as the rolling hills and peaceful little villages of Devon (cliche but true to where I grw up) but the buildings and the oldy-worldiness is lovely.
/derail

Oh, I loved Oxford. It was so pretty. Reminded me a lot of Boston, actually, except Oxford had better architecture. Which says a lot! In Georgia, we don't have a lot of old buildings. But we do have some really beautiful old trees!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oxford IS beautiful, but I spent my childhood here before moving here, so I've always been in a sunshiney land. :Sun:

Then I moved to Oxford. :(

Oxford's gorgeous, but having nothing but clouds and rain for the bulk of my days just doesn't cut it for me.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

WOW. Must. Visit. Devon. Soon. I have two weeks' vacation in September that I don't know what to do with, and I think the UK might be calling me back ;)

Whereabouts did your mom go? That's so cool that she's been over here. Such a small world, isn't it? At Buckingham Palace, I met this old lady whose had recently been to a wedding on Bowen Island, which is super close to me. It's weird how that happens.

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
Work experience at one of the big six. Somehow wound up in the editorial department. Wee!

LittleKiwi

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh so jealous of all you English people! You and your pretty countryside and beautiful old buildings. Here in Australia if a building was built in the 1800s we're like 'WHOA SO OLD!!!' At least my town has some of the best history in Aus. One day my sister and I will be living in London, though. *fingers crossed*

None of our statues date back to before 1840, so there *pokes out tongue*

I'm currently in Leeds, England. Totally in love with the history but so over the wages.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Totally in love with the history but so over the wages.

Heh, try Scotland on for size. That 'lower living cost' up here that people like to bring up is nonsense, the cost of living seems to be roughly equal everywhere outside of London. Doesn't stop them giving us some of the lowest wages in the country, though.

All grumbles aside though, sorry to hear about your wages. Not getting paid what you're worth is a real strain on the soul. I hope you find a more fitting job soon.

Work experience at one of the big six. Somehow wound up in the editorial department.

Living the dream! Congrats. :)

UK ladies and gents, are any of you planning to go to World Fantasy Con in Brighton? We should have an AW meet-up at some point!

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a university student studying psychology and creative writing, as well as a cater-waiter while I'm at school and a cashier at Wally World while I'm at home. I'm currently trying to find a way to justify taking an MFA program, but I'll probably end up doing the "responsible" thing and becoming a counselor/therapist.

Trevor Z

Learning About New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorzawalich.com
I'm gainfully unemployed outside of the odd book sold here and there.

I've been eyeballing personal trainer certifications, though. It could be fun.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I was an Esthetician before I figured out how much I hated touching people's feet all day. But I think the bikini waxes were the last straw. I spent the entire day each day at working wishing I was home writing.

Then my husband bribed me with the idea of staying home to write in order to move me to the middle of nowhere for his work. It's minus twenty and snow up to your knees but I'm happy I get to write :)

CaseyMcG

Registered
Reaction score
Returning to the cliche here. English teacher, but mixing it up by being in Seoul, South Korea. Been doing this for three years and I'm back to the states in 1 month, at which time I'll be running around like this :e2poke: to anyone in town with a 'help wanted' sign . But with my resume instead of the stick.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Casey, could I pick your brain about teaching in Korea? Been thinking of doing it for a year or two.

CaseyMcG

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Casey, could I pick your brain about teaching in Korea? Been thinking of doing it for a year or two.

Ask away! I've been in Seoul and the Gyeonggi Province all three years but have a lot of friends who were other places and have traveled around the RoK quite a bit.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I don't have a day job at the moment, although I'm considering getting into freelance work like writing articles for magazines and such.

I wanted to get a gas station job, but my dad says that its sort of a dangerous line of work.