Oh good, my expensive Mac won't open an expensive textbook CD ("Classic environment")

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay progress?

I put a lameness CD in my mac and clicked the CD file and then clicked the StartMe file and got:

You can't open the application StartMe because the Classic environment is no longer supported.

I looked around the internet and got two answers: Find another computer / old Mac; and Try this buggy patch.

Yeahhh.

I really don't want to watch equine lameness on my 13" netbook PC. I want to watch it on my big expensive Mac. The CD is from 03 and apparently apple made some change in 05.

Help?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If the videos on the disk are accessible, I'd try just double clicking on those directly. Video formats haven't changed that much...

But yeah, Apple deprecated the OS9-like environment a couple of OSs ago.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
>>
<<

Hey, I can see a forest through these trees now ;) ;)

Okay, that works. The menu and chapter selection aren't required, and it looks like all the other folders contain generally useless stuff. The installation booklet implies the videos are the only useful info too.

Uh, lock thread?

:D

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Mac isn't so much expensive as reliable, rather thoughtful and--I must say--unspeakably generous.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One day I will remember not to put 'Mac' in these titles. Dire.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yay progress?

I put a lameness CD in my mac and clicked the CD file and then clicked the StartMe file and got:

You can't open the application StartMe because the Classic environment is no longer supported.

I looked around the internet and got two answers: Find another computer / old Mac; and Try this buggy patch.

Yeahhh.

I really don't want to watch equine lameness on my 13" netbook PC. I want to watch it on my big expensive Mac. The CD is from 03 and apparently apple made some change in 05.

Help?

Good god! It was expecting the Classic environment? I suppose that makes some iota of sense if the CD is from 2003, but even then...

The operating system your CD was designed for was deprecated over a decade ago. It's the equivalent of trying to run a DOS program on Windows 7.

You might try something like Sheepshaver to emulate OS 9.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the buggy program; unless new releases are better...

Cheers.