Silent Hill Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm a fan of the game series and have been excited for the film since its announcement. Though its initial poster was unimpressive, subsequent posters are doing a much better job at conveying the menace. Plus the trailer looked intense and creepy, and it's apparent that the film will be fairly faithful to the games.

And then today I saw a brief, bootleg version of one scene from the film on http://www.youtube.com (search "First Glimpse of Pyramid Head"). Jeeeezus. Can't put it into words, and maybe it's primarily because I'm a fan, but the closer on that clip felt like a kick in the stomach. I'm even more geeked for the film than before. My body feels like it's sizzling, and even stranger, I feel invigorated to write some horror. Some good, gut wrenching, dread-inducing horror. Wow.

Whew... all right, fanboy rant over. Sorry...

Pennywise

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, the trailer looks pretty damn scary!! I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill games and anticipations running high in this one.

Just hope it doesnt turn out like resident evil:rant:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
JComp--don't apologize for the fanboy rant. It helps the rest of us gauge how you really feel. *g*

I'm not really a gamer, so this isn't a world that's familiar to me. You've got me intrigued, though.

Pennywise, welcome. I just sent a copy of It to a brit friend of mine who hadn't read it, at Christmas. I love a creepy coincidence.

BlackCrowesChick

Uptown Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even know that they were making a film out of the games. I like them, though I haven't played them in awhile. I can't tell if the movie will stick closely with the games or not from the trailer. Its hard to tell much of anything from it, but it sounds like something I'll want to see. Thanks for posting!

Ivonia

Zodiac Fleet Commander
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet, I didn't really even know about this film until my brother told me about it, and finding out that it comes out in a few weeks makes it all the cooler.

Being a fan of the games too (there are four of them out), from what I've seen out of one of the trailers, the movie will stay relatively true to the game. For those of you who don't know, Silent Hill is essentially a modern day town, except it's completely empty. There are very few people there, and plenty of monsters. Lot of cult activities had gone on there (dating back to the American Civil War according to the 2nd game), and the town looked almost as if it was functioning normally and then one day, everyone just seemed to vanish (the 4th game sort of strays from this a little, but it's still somewhat true to the other games).

What makes this game so scary is that first of all, you're essentially in a ghost town, and there's always a heavy fog in the outside areas (this was at first due to the Sony Playstation having limited power, so the game developers had to put it in so the game didn't run slow. However, they also found out that the fog adds to the mysteriousness, and the creepiness factor, so they left it in when the game was released on more powerful game systems), so you can usually only see a few feet in front of you. You also have to go through a lot of dark areas, and although you get a flashlight, you can only see a few feet in front.

To top it off, there is also a radio you can carry around with you. It's broken, so you can't listen to music, but anytime there's a monster nearby, the radio will start crackling static noises. Trust me, you'll freak out when you enter a new room, and hear that thing going off, esp. if there's a lot of monsters in that room with you.

You could turn off the light and radio, and the monsters will be less likely to notice you (they're "attracted" to your radio noise and the flashlight). However, it's kind of hard to see in the dark, and it's not always a good idea, cause then you can't see the monsters either (some of them are transparent, so even with the light on it's hard to detect them).

What really creeped me out was the fact that there appears to be 2 dimensions, a normal one, and a really creepy alternate. What I mean is, for example, one moment you could be in a normal looking schoolhouse, and then the next instant, the schoolhouse could suddenly look like it was straight out of a madman's imagination, with bloody sheets lying around all over, rusty metal gates where the walls used to be, dead bodies lying all over the place (and some of them not quite so dead), and then it could revert back to normal after you've done a few things in that other dimension. It's almost like going through a Stephen King book with your character, and combined with those other things I mentioned, let's just say you probably won't want to play in the dark again for a long time lol.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Just bumping this because I watched the film on DVD last night.

And holy crow!

I've never played the game, but knew it was based on one when I watched it. I'm a fan of Radha Mitchell (Pitch Black) and Sean Bean, so any movie starring them is usually worth watching once. And while the film didn't scare me, it did a great job of creeping the beejeezus out of me.

I love the whole alternate dimension feel of the movie. Not only when it went from foggy to darkness, but also the reality where Christopher was desperately searching for his family. Very cool, and the transformations from foggy to darkness were awesome!

What impressed me the most was that the three main creatures were not CGI. I watched the "Making Of" featurette (and highly recommend it). For a long time, i wanted to be one of those people who make the prosthetics and did the body paint, sprayed on the blood. What they accomplished with the effects was amazing.

And the backstory itself was (while not completely unique) definitely compelling. "In the eyes of a child, the mother is God." I love that line, and it summarizes the movie in many ways. The very end was horrifying, and had a vague "Hellraiser" vibe with all the barbed wire and the creepy hospital bed.

Kudos, too, for not just letting Rose and Sharon return to their normal life at the end. The ambiguous ending was just right, in my opinion.

Not a perfect movie, but certainly ranks as one of the best horror films I've seen in recent years.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Pennywise said:
Yeah I agree, the trailer looks pretty damn scary!! I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill games and anticipations running high in this one.

Just hope it doesnt turn out like resident evil:rant:

Yeah, was that a travesty or what!! I am a hardcore RE fan and man was I disappointed by the film...mad even!

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
And the backstory itself was (while not completely unique) definitely compelling. "In the eyes of a child, the mother is God." I love that line, and it summarizes the movie in many ways.
Have you seen The Crow?

I just saw SH myself, and liked it more than I expected to.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
chaostitan said:
I am ashamed to admit that I haven't seen The Crow. My "must watch" list gets longer every single day, and the older a film is, the further down the list it goes. *sigh*

:e2thud: You haven't seen that one yet??? Ok, next time I get the rentals from Blockbuster. You have to see it! The music alone is worth it.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The Crow is my favorite movie of all time. You must see it, Chaos. I demand it! :Lecture: Yeah, there's some cheesy dialogue from time to time, but the movie's friggen great!

I've seen SH also, and while I felt the story was somewhat weak, the visual effects had me enraptured throughout the entire film. Such deliciously dark, surrealistic imagery. Ah, I loved it. :e2headban

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
SH

I adored the movie. I've never played the game (but would love to) and was amazed by the movie.

I had issues with the storyline and some minor things, but the effects were astounding. They held the atmosphere wonderfully and it was just perfect.

Since there are so many gamers here who've had experience with it for much longer than me, is the story based upon Centrella, Pennsylvania? Forgive me if I didn't spell the town name correctly, it's odd. Anyways, there was an explosion in a coal mine about thirty years ago and the fires are still burning.

I enjoy "mine" lore so this hit a chord of particular interest for me.

BTW, I have played the "Alone in the Dark," game and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed by the movie version of that. Sometimes you just don't know if you should hope Hollywood will acknowledge your favorite game or not. Once the "director's/writer's interpretation" is created it can be disasterous. It's much the same with books.

Status
Not open for further replies.