Em dash problem in Word 360?

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else uses Office 360, but it seems as if somewhere in the updates my Word no longer wants to make an em dash by typing --. Anyone else having that problem? Ways to resolve it?

Deleted member 42

Check the preference settings; I suspect the substitutions options got unticked somehow.

I'm going to move this to the Technical questions section, where you'll likely have more responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else uses Office 360, but it seems as if somewhere in the updates my Word no longer wants to make an em dash by typing --. Anyone else having that problem? Ways to resolve it?

Sounds like an unchecked option to me, as well. I subscribe to Office 365, Home and Premium. Are you using the downloaded version, or the Web version?

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
You can also set hotkeys for symbols. I have alt-m/n for the em and en dashes, respectively. There's also the direct key commands (alt0+0150 for en and 0151 for em) on the numeric keypad.

I have way too many of these memorized.

kenpochick

Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have to set a hot key. The box is checked, but it just won't do it. Grrr.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it not work with any font? TNR? Courier?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you check to make sure both Autoformat and Autoformat As You Type are set the way you want it?

I use Word 2010; I'm assuming it's similar.

kenpochick

Registered
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. There was nothing next to the em dash in the auto format. At least that was the problem on the desktop. :)