Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I just got the loveliest rejection from that magazine. They liked the story, and gave me some tips and pointers towards a rewrite. They said they'd be happy to consider it again if I gave it a little work, and after such lovely comments, I'm more than willing to try.
That's awesome news! :hooray: Good luck with the rewrite!

Form R from FFO. It's been crickets for weeks; I think I like the crickets better than form Rs.
Funny, I'm the other way around; prefer R's to crickets. Takes the chirping out of your ears.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Form rejection for R from Flash Fiction Online. At thirty days I was hoping for something a little more personal, but oh well.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I just got the loveliest rejection from that magazine. They liked the story, and gave me some tips and pointers towards a rewrite. They said they'd be happy to consider it again if I gave it a little work, and after such lovely comments, I'm more than willing to try.

Excellent! Good luck with it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the higher-tier ("didn't quite work for me") form R from F&SF today. It was signed by Lisa Rogers, not Stephen Mazur. New assistant editor? New to me, anyway. My previous R's came from Mazur.

Sent the story to Clarkesworld next. I don't think this one is a great fit for them (it's a bit too light in tone), but hey, why self-reject, right?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, do the rejection factories stop at weekends? Or do they mill non stop?

It depends on the publication. Some read slush on weekends, some don't. If you look at the "recent responses" page on Duotrope, it may give you a pretty good idea of whether your target market(s) might get back to you on a weekend.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
*churp* *churp*

No kidding!

It's been over 72 hours since I received any replies. With 40 submissions out at the moment that's a long time...

From recent responses on Duotrope, expecting a whole bunch of replies to start coming in soon, though.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets. Sitting at 26 days with Apex and 57 days at Stupefying Stories. >_< Whichever story gets rejected first goes to Strange Horizons and the second goes to DSF.

Aggy, always with a plan

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm sure you already know, Aggs, but SH doesn't reopen to fiction subs until the 15th Feb :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you already know, Aggs, but SH doesn't reopen to fiction subs until the 15th Feb :)

Actually, I was thinking they had opened back up at the beginning of the month. But that's cool. We'll just reverse that order - DSF first, then Strange Horizons. :p

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Got 2 answers today. One rejection from Nanoism (I'm starting to get used to them lol)... and my FIRST EVER ACCEPT (AHHH!). It's from 100wordstories. I had to read the email 3 times to get that it was saying 'yes' lol. (happy dance!)

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) I *might* have ran down the hall like a crazy person, yelling at my husband while my kids looked at me all wide-eyed ;)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ever had a story you know beyond doubt is good, but it has things integral to the telling that make it a difficult sell? I've got one of those. Off it goes to market #20. I will sell you, story i know is good!

It's come close at Asimov's, Weird Tales (before they changed hands), and got me a whole thick paragraph of personal R from Strange Horizons (which feedback immensely shaped the finished product--that was R #1), so i know it's not just me who likes it/sees potential :tongue

Last edited:

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Ukulele=awesome :)

Izz, yes. I've had a few like that. You'll find the right market :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the acceptance, Ohthatmomagain!

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

You can haz sheep :D

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

Ukulele?
You play a ukulele, Crunchy Blanket!
Yes, that is awesome :)