Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice. Please do :)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooh nice bird pics! You live in a wildlife sanctuary. I live in a flat without so much as a potted plant. I haz a jealous :(

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks :)

Oooooh nice bird pics! You live in a wildlife sanctuary. I live in a flat without so much as a potted plant. I haz a jealous :(

Does not compute. I think even space stations have plants now. All one of them.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up at 7 a.m. to be at the store by 8:30 am to return a purse I got my mom (she didn't like it!). Waited in line, finally got into the store, spilled my sister's coffee all over it.

Luckily, one of the store managers saw what happened and helped me clean it up. He let me return it anyway. Phew!

Man, there should be a name for the day after Christmas sale/return madhouse.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Evening folks!

Today was a family day for me. My parents are still visiting and today we had a long lunch with my aunt and uncle and my grandmom, who is 94. She's doing okay for 94... but has memory issues--basically, her short term memory is shot. She remembers stuff from years ago clearly, but can't remember that you told her what day it was five minutes ago.

Still, she's always happy to see us. :)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Does not compute. I think even space stations have plants now. All one of them.
I have one little plant in a very small pot and it's dying because I don't have compost for it. And I can't get any because it's heavy and I don't have a car to drive out and get gardening supplies to keep my plant alive.

All my potted plants die eventually :(

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have one little plant in a very small pot and it's dying because I don't have compost for it. And I can't get any because it's heavy and I don't have a car to drive out and get gardening supplies to keep my plant alive.

Mail-order? I've ordered plant supplies that I can't get locally (like organic weed-control for my lawn).

ETA: Fenika, I love the bird pictures! That's pretty much the mix of birds I get at my feeders. I still haven't put them out, as last year the deer figured out they could eat the seed and pretty much drained them every night. I need to hang 'em up out of reach. That's the project for tomorrow, as we're supposed to get bad weather tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score

Do you know what kind it is? I have a ridiculously green thumb (accidentally grew mj from seeds once... maybe >.>) I might have some pointers that could help.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what kind it is? I have a ridiculously green thumb (accidentally grew mj from seeds once... maybe >.>) I might have some pointers that could help.
It's an aloo vera plant. It's in a very small pot, and the soil has got all... run out and mossy on top. I think the pot's too small but I don't have a bigger one and I don't know where to get extra earth from to fill it up :(

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most potted plants dont need compost and its better to use organic fertilizer due to the limited space. Check the requirements for aloe as I suspect you are killing it with kindness or with a ph issue (thus the moss for the later, though moss grows for other reasons)

I'm about to transplant my aloe into a sand and soil mix.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gina- we are very close to each other :) I had so many birds after putting out bird food this afternoon (even though no station had run out) it was as if someone had yelled 'Feeding Frenzy' in Avian ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Psycho, you can check craigslist for pots, or drill holes in free bakery buckets if you dont mind ugly, or ask neighbors. Dont go too big too fast. A basic potting mix is your best bet as regular soil is heavy and compacts in pots. You can get that at a home store, and maybe a pot on clearance.

Lastly, when you transplant, break up any lines or clumps of roots. It you only see tips or short lines of roots, your plant wasnt too big and is the right size for transplanting right now.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
GOOD EVENING CANTINA!!

Hello! I missed you! I have returned from the Christmas visit with the sister, delighted with my decision not to bear any fruit from my womb.

*embraces everyone, revels in the coco-y, bantharific, tea-like fume*

I did enjoy the bird pics, as I read back over the last few pages. I am, however, very tired, as I've been piddling about on the internets. I hope to write later tonight, or at least read back and get caught up on my own darn story, but for now I am a little tired, what with the travel and the deep seated irritation. :)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Playing Mario Kart with Lil Sis, so not bad at all! El Eternauta is interesting, it kinda reminds me of Night of the Living Dead, but instead of zombies it has deadly snow.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
It's an aloo vera plant. It's in a very small pot, and the soil has got all... run out and mossy on top. I think the pot's too small but I don't have a bigger one and I don't know where to get extra earth from to fill it up :(

Ah. A sandysoil mix and plenty of drainage should do for an aloe vera. You can also get little bags of prepackaged soil mix marked "for cacti/succulents" at hardware, gardening, general stores. Sometimes they even have them at groceries. And the little bags don't weigh but a few pounds.

The moss worries me. Perhaps too much water. Are you letting the soil dry out between waterings?

Compost in a small container might contain too many nutrients for a single potted plant. I usually only use compost to mix with the soil already in the ground.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Gina- we are very close to each other :) I had so many birds after putting out bird food this afternoon (even though no station had run out) it was as if someone had yelled 'Feeding Frenzy' in Avian ;)

*looks at your location*

Why yes, you are! Call me Ms. Observant. :tongue

Love the variety we have around here. I heard a great horned owl the other night. I think it was hanging out in my oak tree, since it was loud enough that it woke my brother up...

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'd always wondered what went on in here, but that old thread was just too big to try to read, lol.

The tentacles peeking out from under the bar are a nice touch. Anyone mind if I sit in the corner and feed the smibbles espresso?

Status
Not open for further replies.