NRA Response To Newtown School Shooting

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
To think they had a week to write the speech, and that was the best they could come up with?

Grand Theft Auto makes people go out and shoot people! Just like Skyrim makes people blast lightning from their fingers at wildlife!

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
just thought I'd let you all know that apparently some UK news stations are having to preface their reports on this by stating that it's not a parody.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
We've invested billions in security theater for airports, don't our children deserve the same?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said the man who has very realistic ideas about the problem of gun violence, while condemning dangerously stupid Hollywood fantasies.
- written by the AV Club's consistently funny sarcasm enthusiast, Sean O'Neal

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
The NRA have descended into self parody.

If we register everyone who's been treated for mental illness, only the untreated mentally ill will have guns. Or something like that.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this straight: LaPierre wants a national registry for "mentally ill" people, but not a national registry for guns. Did I miss something?

caw
Yeah, the fact that a lot of people support the inverse.

I think they're both a terrible idea, personally.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The NRA is tone deaf and brain dead.

A national database of the mentally ill? Sure thing. No way that could encroach on their Constitutional rights.

As far as violent video games goes, let's apply the NRA logic to it. Violent video games don't kill. Gamers do.

As far as Wayne LaPierre's suggestion to put an armed guard in every school it would cost over $5 billion to implement his batshit plan. I was under the impression this country is broke and can't afford that kind of new spending.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics there are 98,817 K-12 schools in the United States. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says cops make $55,000 a year. So we could put $5.4 billion as the low level estimate of the cost. Cops obviously have health care benefits and pension and disability benefits for police offers tend to be fairly costly so the real price would be higher than that.

To sum up Wayne LaPierre's press conference, his remarks prove what most of us already knew.

1. It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

2. Wayne LaPierre is a fool. And a stupid asshole too.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Can we even train 100,000 police officers in a year? That's the friggin Army of the Potomac worth of police officers.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, any and all respect I had for the NRA went down the tubes when they threw Bulletstorm in with Slaughterhouse.

Slaughterhouse was a glitchy, crappy piece of 80s retro trash trying to pander to the gore and titty crowd.

Bulletstorm was a whacky adventure full of remarkably creative profanity, a really clever focus on trick-shots as central gameplay, and had a...surprisingly well done character arc and plot.

Also, you know...their spokesperson seems to be a fucking vampire.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
As far as Wayne LaPierre's suggestion to put an armed guard in every school it would cost over $5 billion to implement his batshit plan. I was under the impression this country is broke and can't afford that kind of new spending.

Would one officer per school be enough? Probably need rather more than that for the larger schools, which suggests that $5 billion would not cover it.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
And I read the article that went with the 5.5 billion dollar figure: That's just salaries, no health, no disability, no equipment. Just salaries.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot the real corker.

A National Register of mentally ill people.

That 'press conference' had me frothing at the mouth. Completely out of touch with reality and yet another reason why I hate the NRA.
Are sex offenders considered mentally ill? There are lots of local sex offender registries, these can just be added to the mentally ill registry.
We've invested billions in security theater for airports, don't our children deserve the same?
So children will be fondled to make sure they're not packing when they go to school?

Never mind, they're already fondled before getting on commercial flights. Having this happen every day as the go into school shouldn't hurt anything...

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on another site:

Q: How many NRA members does it take to change a lightbulb.

A: More guns.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a staunch supporter of the Performing Arts in our public schools.
"Today, the character of ESA (Education Security Administration) Inspector will be played by Johnny Teasdale from Ms. Smith's 5[SUP]th[/SUP] grade class."

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If we register everyone who's been treated for mental illness, only the untreated mentally ill will have guns. Or something like that.

Mandatory registration for mental illness will result in mentally ill people fearing to seek treatment. And this will be true even without the gun issue attached. NOBODY wants to be on some damned "list."

And furthermore. It will be akin to the common case of uninsured people refusing to get a suspicous lump or suspicious mole tested for cancer because they currently have no insurance to actually do anything about the cancer should the oncology test come back positive. It's not that they are avoiding reality, it's just that they fear that if they do eventually get insurance, the pre-insurance cancer screening test will make for a "pre-existing condition" and so they will be covered for absolutely jack shit.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As these are random events, this means that most of any money spent on 'armed guards in every school' across your nation would be totally wasted.
Better to put the money into supporting home-schooling, which would make for smaller groups of targetschildren. Of course, there may be a rise in domestic violence. There is no perfect plan.

And, a register of the mentally-ill? Way to ensure that people don't seek help, idiot!

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Yeah, any and all respect I had for the NRA went down the tubes when they threw Bulletstorm in with Slaughterhouse.

Slaughterhouse was a glitchy, crappy piece of 80s retro trash trying to pander to the gore and titty crowd.

Bulletstorm was a whacky adventure full of remarkably creative profanity, a really clever focus on trick-shots as central gameplay, and had a...surprisingly well done character arc and plot.

Also, you know...their spokesperson seems to be a fucking vampire.

He was likely going for the shock value that the games' names could lend to a 9-second sound byte. I doubt he's ever seen let alone played those games.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com

I suspect a great many of these shooters were never formally diagnosed with a mental illness and thus never officially treated for one.

Also how would you determine treatment was not being provided?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm cool with police officers in schools, and as I've pointed out on another thread, it's already done so often that I had just assumed it was standard operating procedures in most places. I mean, there were cops where I went to school. There are cops where my husband teaches. There are cops in other area schools.

Police stations can simply include schools in areas that need patrol. They can assign a cop to that area. Or schools can accept police volunteers. Or schools can have an agreement where they pay for cops to come in when they'd normally be off-duty.

That much of what he said was, IMO, reasonable. But I don't see why it can't be combined with other measures. It is not, in and of itself, a complete and perfect way of preventing something like this ever happening again.

And that bit about schools being attacked *because* they are gun-free zones just doesn't quite add up. There are far more shootings at, say, apartment complexes (which are not "gun-free") than at schools. There have been a few attacks on schools, but not out of proportion to shootings elsewhere... in fact, when you consider there are universities here in Texas that have so many students that they have their own zipcodes, and there are generally ZERO shootings there, fatal or not, it would seem that criminals distinctly are not targeting them.

Still, where the NRA guy really goes off the deep end is blaming violence on the media and lamenting that we don't have a registry of everyone who is mentally ill and suggesting that the best way to curb gun violence is to have more guns. All of that is just... I don't know. But I'm rolling my eyes.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The worst part of LaPierre's rant is the cold cynicism of it. The NRA is the chief lobbying outfit for gun manufacturers. If they could persuade legislators to pony up for armed guards in every school, guess who gets to arm the guards? Big money involved here.

caw