I'm new in town!

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I actually stumbled upon this board last night and after browsing I decided to join. Last April I finished my first novel, and between writing the thing, rewriting, editing, querying agents, and all those headaches I found myself wishing for a supportive place to hide full of information, sympathetic understanding, and swift kicks in the butt when necessary. I think I found it here, and I am can't wait to explore more!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
welcome, darkfox.

look around, lots of good info here for you!
good luck with your writing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and :welcome:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! It's a great idea to read the newbie guide, if you haven't already. There's a wealth of info, and it will probably make navigating Absolute Write a little easier. Be warned, though--this place is addicting! :D

Have fun, and welcome to the madhouse!!

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay. This IS the best place for support and it will have all the information you need.

:D

XX

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, adarkfox!

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

You couldn't have found a better place for support, advice, resources and a wonderful community of like minded people.

Enjoy!

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Hi adarkfox!
I'm glad you wrote into this town on your horse. :D
Welcome! :) :)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Your font looks smaller than most of the posts here, perhaps you could enlarge it in future posts?

:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! You know how to make a girl (and the horse she wrote in on) feel welcome ;)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I actually stumbled upon this board last night and after browsing I decided to join. Last April I finished my first novel, and between writing the thing, rewriting, editing, querying agents, and all those headaches I found myself wishing for a supportive place to hide full of information, sympathetic understanding, and swift kicks in the butt when necessary. I think I found it here, and I am can't wait to explore more!

Hi adarkfox and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

I found it hard to read your post, I'll admit. I'd suggest using a better font and size to post as my eyes are not as good as they used to be :D .

Congratulations on finishing your first novel. Searching for agents and publishers can be tricky, and knowing which are good and which, well let's just say may not as good, can be even trickier. The Bewares and Background Check Forum should help you with this. Something I would recommend for everyone who is searching for a pubisher/agent is to check them out first. If only everyone did, there would be a lot less heartache afterwards.

If you needed some feedback on your novel, you could try posting some in our Share Your Work forum (the password is vista). The critiques can be harsh sometimes, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel possible and to get it published. Also, it does help to bring them cookies :D . Also, you could critique some of the other members' work too. It is surprising how that can help with you own.

Something that can sometimes let a writer down, when they have a great novel that is well written and plotted, is the query letter and synopsis. You could try posting yours in the Query Letters & Synopses part of the Share Your Work Forum (password is vista) to get some feedback on that. Ya never know, it may help.

When your search for agents to represent you and your novel begins, I would recommend two sites: www.agentquery.com and also www.querytracker.net. As well as using the Bewares and Background Check Forum of course :D .

Also check out the Ask the Agent forum for help with agents and such. We have Nathan Bransford, who is our resident agent, and Jennifer Laughran as a guest agent answering agent related questions at the moment.

Plus, if you haven't stopped by the terrific Newbie Question of the Day thread yet, then don't forget to pop in and have a go at answering a few of the really easy questions (the link is in the sig line below). They are easy. Yep, they are. And it's so much fun. :D

Oh, and do you like double choc-chip cookies?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. We can offer support or a kick when necessary - seems you found the right spot.

Enjoy the site~

Christine