What makes a cyborg a cyborg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps somewhat limiting, I had always used the RIFTS RPG definition for full cyborg and partial cyborg conversions. The only organic components to a full conversion cyborg were the brain and spinal column; everything else was mechanical. In a partial conversion, arms and/or legs were replaced, the spine and trunk augmented to support the additional weight and the extra strength acquired. The cybernetic components would then have the requisite weapons and gadgets built in, some restricted to full conversions for weight and power distribution reasons.

I don't think organ replacements with cybernetic/artificial parts would constitute a cyborg, though I can see where some would think so.

This definition, of course, could be an element of the plot or the social setting to explore. What does the society think of cybernetic conversions, organ replacement, complete conversions, etc? Was the MC forced to undergo the conversion for medical reasons (ie. maybe over-exposed to radiation), military reasons, he had the extra cash and always wanted to live the dream as a mechanical superman among the rest of society? What does everyone else think of it? Maybe he doesn't think he's a cyborg (partial, full, whatever), but others do. How does that interplay with the MC and the plot?

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
My aunt considers herself a cyborg.

She has two artificial hips, two artificial knees, and some of her spine is also not entirely natural.

I suspect she doesn't quite meet the science fiction definition, but I personally am highly entertained by her cyborg identity. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.