Can't find autorecovered file in Word 2007

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
So two days ago I finished writing for the day, saved my work and shut my laptop down.

Last night I opened my file again, naively presuming I'd be able to pick it up from where I've left it. Instead I found myself gazing at the manuscript I left three days ago, all of my previous day's work gone. I checked Mozy but the stupid thing had run like a few hours ago and so had saved the incomplete version as well. :rant:

So I'm trying to autorecover my work now, because supposedly according to my settings autosave happens every ten minutes, but the folder destination is empty. Not only that, but it doesn't give me access to 'folder options' to adjust my hidden files to 'view'. I mean, 'folder options' is there but I can't select it, it's faint, as if not applying to that particular folder.

Help. :(

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Click on the MS Office Symbol, then click the "Word Options" button at the bottom of the form. Click the Save item from the list on the left. you will see the location of your Autorecovery files. Mine reads: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\

You can click the "Browse" button to view the contents of that folder.

Last edited:

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Click on the MS Office Symbol, then click the "Word Options" button at the bottom of the form. Click the Save item from the list on the left. you will see the location of your Autorecovery files. Mine reads: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\

You can click the "Browse" button to view the contents of that folder.

That's exactly what I did. But the folder appears to be empty. I thought perhaps the files would be hidden or something and so I try to go through 'folder options' to view them, but 'folder options' was just not available for that particular folder.
:(

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Whims

First up, as you saved the file before closing down, have you perhaps saved it in a different location? Maybe used Save As?

So you could try a search for all .doc files saved on the day in question. You may find it somewhere with a weird name - basically the first line!

If not, you'll need to find the autosaved version. This is usually held in a Temp folder somewhere. And that depends on what version of Windows you're using. But look for ApplicationData or AppData and see if you can find a swathe of files preced by a tilde, viz, ~, with maybe a $ following it.

What I do is keep all my WIPs in their own Folder, inside a bigger Folder called WIP on my desktop. That way, you can find the recovered files quite easily.

Hope this helps, and hope that, unlike Bono, you find what you're looking for.

Regards

Whacko

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Whims

First up, as you saved the file before closing down, have you perhaps saved it in a different location? Maybe used Save As?

So you could try a search for all .doc files saved on the day in question. You may find it somewhere with a weird name - basically the first line!

If not, you'll need to find the autosaved version. This is usually held in a Temp folder somewhere. And that depends on what version of Windows you're using. But look for ApplicationData or AppData and see if you can find a swathe of files preced by a tilde, viz, ~, with maybe a $ following it.

What I do is keep all my WIPs in their own Folder, inside a bigger Folder called WIP on my desktop. That way, you can find the recovered files quite easily.

Hope this helps, and hope that, unlike Bono, you find what you're looking for.

Regards

Whacko

Well, like I said, my AppDate folder search led nowhere.

I'll do what you propose, look for all items saved that day.

And make sure I use my flashdisk along with Mozy from now on.

Thanks for your help. :)