Suggestions for domain name company?

love4words2

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good domain name company for my new website? Also, which web hosting company is good for technie-challenged people?

Thanks a bunch for your help. Have a wonderful day.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
You need a name for a company that sells domain names? Am I reading that correctly?

And I use BlueHost to host my site and can't say enough good things about them. I'm quite stupid when it comes to all things techie, and have had to ask the customer service people there many, many ridiculously simplistic/moronic questions, but they've never even indicated in any way that I'm an idiot or that I'm annoying them or anything, and they're extremely patient and helpful. And there's a ton of free website-building tools you get with them.

Plus, they're not expensive, and I can count on one hand the number of times in the last two years my site has been down. (Twice.) I'm really happy with them.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
The easiest way to register a domain is to do so through your hosting company, but it may not be the best. I've had half a dozen friends who've lost their domains over the years due to mismanagement by their webhost's domain registrar -- missing renewal notices, notices sent to the wrong email address, etc. If you're the super-organised type who will note down when your domain is due for renewal and organise payment, then that may not matter to you, but for somebody like me, I prefer the peace of mind of a company whose primary focus is domain registration.

I use gandi.net as my domain registrar, and have for over a decade. They're not the cheapest company, but they're solid and reliable. I've never lost a domain I've had with them.

Cheers.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I register through godaddy.com they are cheap and dont nail you with renewal prices.

Then I host with awardspace.com
they have a fantastic free hosting package for small websites that offers 250mb disk space, 5 GB traffic a month, MYSQL database for if you use a content manager like drupal/joomla to build your site
then for about $3.50 a month you looking at 60GB hard drive space, 5 domains and a lot more

Deleted member 42

I have one to discommend--avoid Network Solutions. Overpriced, and not really interested in customer rights.

love4words2

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the web hosting and domain name tips! Have an awesome day.