What hasn't been done?

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen R. Lawhead has a fantastic novel called simply Byzantium about an Irish monk on his journey to deliver a copy of the Bible to Emperor Justinian; gets captured by the Gaulish tribes, then sold to the Turks, and finally ends up there. He's great at digging into the feel of a time. One of my favorite books.

Just noticed this. I read Byzantium, quite interesting. Political intrigue and all, using a monk as a main character... He captures the feel, as you said, quite well.

:)

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Germany in the Thirty Years' War would make a terrific background for a book, I always thought. I couldn't write it because I'm not too good with the earlier 17th century, but it offers the perfect setting for big drama and adventure (and all nations were there so feel free to pick and mix).

This idea stuck with me so now I have decided that this will be the setting for my next project. It's all because of this thread!

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Double posting, but I just wanted to say that someone needs to write something about Vikings in Constantinople,
preferably something about Viking mercenaries. It has such a great potential for cultural clashes and adventure that it makes such a wonderful setting. I can't believe it hasn't been used more!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Double posting, but I just wanted to say that someone needs to write something about Vikings in Constantinople,
preferably something about Viking mercenaries. It has such a great potential for cultural clashes and adventure that it makes such a wonderful setting. I can't believe it hasn't been used more!

See the Oathsworn series by Robert Low. Bloody good too. Second one is Wolf Sea and deals with them in Constantinople.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
See the Oathsworn series by Robert Low. Bloody good too. Second one is Wolf Sea and deals with them in Constantinople.

Oh, sounds good! I'd really like a book set at the Byzantine court though, and that didn't quite sound like it was from his webpage.

My sister is the Viking freak of the family. She started out as an archeologist but switched to medicine. She still forces me to go to Birka at least once a year to drool over the excavations. :) Bet she'd love those books.