Enemies to lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
So, my pet project begins with the two main characters hating each other. There is mutual sexual attraction, but there's also mutual dislike. When I posted my opening a while back, I received comments that my MCs didn't seem all that... romantic, and now that I'm revising again I'd like to fix that.

I learn best by reading and picking things apart. Can anyone recommend books that start like this? You know, "enemies to lovers"? It seems like a trope that can easily go awry.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you are looking for successful examples, you might try Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady and My Lord and Spymaster.

But you're right that it's a trope than can easily go awry. I think it is more successful when it is not mutual dislike keeping the lovers apart but mutual distrust. If they actually hate each other, there is a problem. Either the hatred is valid, in which case it's hard to have them get over it without making them seem cold and shallow, or it is based on a misunderstanding, in which case having them persist in it makes them really stupid. Tricky.

Jules Court

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com
This isn't my favorite trope because it can so easily go wrong. For me, what really makes a book that uses this trope a wallbanger is when the hero comes off as a misogynist. For example, if he thinks because she's pretty or flirts that means she's a slut (I'm not down with sexually shaming women), or he thinks all women are evil because one broke his heart/ran off with his best friend.

I've never tried writing an enemies to lovers, so I'm speaking with my reader hat on.

Last edited:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I see a lot more fans for the Enemies to Lovers' stories in m/m fiction. Scarlet and the White Wolf is a series that comes to mind. I'm on a caffeine shutdown right now so my brain is too fried to think of any others. One thing that they have in common is that they amp up the sexual tension. Readers will forgive lack of romance in the beginning if the characters at least seem attracted to each other. As Lil said, this trope can fail and the MC's come off as dumb, but you can avoid this if you have the characters act naturally in their situation and have a legitimate reason for them to despise each other. But that comes with it's own problems because if you go too far, then the readers won't want them to get together. It's tricky, but when done well, there's an audience for it.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I think it is more successful when it is not mutual dislike keeping the lovers apart but mutual distrust. If they actually hate each other, there is a problem. Either the hatred is valid, in which case it's hard to have them get over it without making them seem cold and shallow, or it is based on a misunderstanding, in which case having them persist in it makes them really stupid. Tricky.
I think that a difference in morals can also be an effective and realistic thing keeping two characters apart, though there's often some fear/distrust in there, because someone with different morals than you, and maybe also belonging to a different political faction that you, legitimately can't be trusted to do what you would do in their position. This is not a misunderstanding, and also not as extreme as hatred.

Bad first impressions, or excessively good first impressions followed by a worse impression that creates a feeling of betrayal, are a variant on misunderstanding that may seem less stupid, though maybe also overused.

One of my story set-ups goes like this:
Character A sets up a plan to trap Character C. Character B is friends with character C and considers A attractive. Character B charms Character A. Then Character B foils A's plan to trap C. A feels betrayed by B, while B feels that he/she did A a favor by preventing A from doing something that would have been both spiritually bad and strategically ineffective. B decides to apologize with a gift that supplies most of what A hoped to get out of trapping C. But A is furious at B and not only won't let B apologize but insults B badly. So now B is also furious at A, even though both consider each other attractive and have some fond memories of the part before B interfered with A's plan.

Another of my story set-ups runs along lines that are similar but not quite the same:
Character A is a high-ranking person who has delegated to a servant the task of hiring someone for a special job. Character B really wants the job and feels that he/she would be the best qualified to help Character A in the role of the job. But the servant's method of screening job applicants disqualifies B on the first step, and B thinks that the servant is making a serious mistake in what they are looking for in a candidate, in a way that is going to result in A being hurt.

So B goes directly to A to complain about the way the servant is handling the job search. A is in a bad mood, very unimpressed with B for not going through proper channels, and casually says that it's obvious why the servant rejected B for the job. B, who has some self-confidence problems, takes this as a very personal insult and storms out, thinking that A clearly doesn't deserve the help B wanted to give A. A pretty much forgets completely about B until A's only good friend, C, becomes friends with B and tells A he/she should apologize to B. This makes A mad at B for stealing/corrupting C. Again, a situation has been achieved where A and B are angry at each other, though in this case B thinks A is attractive but it hasn't yet occurred to A that B is attractive.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Wandered over from MTS to say that one of my favorite books of all time, though not strictly a romance, follows this pattern. Elmore Leonard's Out of Sight. Guy kidnaps girl, they fight while locked in a trunk together, towards the end girl shoots guy, it really is good. And it does do the enemies to lovers thing, which is what caught my eye in the title of this thread. :D

Evelyn Aster

Registered
Reaction score
I read one a long time ago, so I don't remember the name, but the Mcs were enemies as kids. When they met again as adults, things quickly changed.

I'm doing a half enemies to lovers in that only one MC hates the other and the other is in love. Hard to be objective on it, but it seems a little easier than both of them hating each other :)

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

My debut novel is an enemies to lovers book, a trope which I love. In Part One, there's sexual tension from the get-go as well as intense dislike, then there's knock your knickers off passion which turns to hatred. Part Two is where they deal with the past--and their mutual distrust, hatred, attraction-- and journey to love. The book, Hate to Love You (Carina Press), is out on 2nd June, but if you scroll down to my siggy and click on my website (the Elise Alden one) there's a link on my 'books' page under the book cover and you can download the first two chapters for free. That should give you an idea of how I handled their initial meet and the hate/love aspect in the beginning of the novel. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
My first novella with Ellora's Cave was enemies to lovers; the heroine considered the hero a self-entitled "rich kid" who acted like he didn't have to work because his father owned the company, and the hero considered the heroine kind of bitchy because she acted like she hated him. But at the same time, they were attracted to and fantasizing about each other.

It didn't get very good reviews... everyone who read it seemed to think the heroine was a raging bitch who didn't deserve the hero.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
My first novella with Ellora's Cave was enemies to lovers; the heroine considered the hero a self-entitled "rich kid" who acted like he didn't have to work because his father owned the company, and the hero considered the heroine kind of bitchy because she acted like she hated him. But at the same time, they were attracted to and fantasizing about each other.

It didn't get very good reviews... everyone who read it seemed to think the heroine was a raging bitch who didn't deserve the hero.

Oh no, Kimjo! That sucks. I hate when people don't 'get it'. :rant:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I really like enemies to lovers when it's done well. Of course P&P looms large in that trope, butI'm sure I've read others (can't think of any right now tho).

I think it works best when the hatred is not really genuine, otherwise it's hard to get over - at least in romance. You can definitely get over it in erotica, because angry 'hate you but fancy the crap out of you' sex is sooper hawt ;-)

Anyway, in romance it's not so easy to engineer a HEA if the hatred was well-founded to begin with. That's why tropes such as the misunderstanding and wrong first impression are common. As long as you don't extend the misunderstanding beyond the point where it would naturally be cleared up, thus making your characters look either dumb or willfully self deluded, it's fine.

I've never written an enemies to lovers story, but it's really tempting. I have an outline in my head for a bad/mistaken first impressions romance, which goes something like:

Girl is lost in rural outskirts of french town. Doesn't speak the lingo to ask directions, and keeps getting propositioned by guys trying to pick her up in their cars - one of them actually exposes himself to her. Another guy rolls up, speaks to her in french, so she assumes he's also trying to pick her up and tells him to get lost. He speaks English, finds it all terribly funny as he explains why she keeps getting accosted - it turns out she's walking in a red light district. He promises her he's not a perve, he just wants to get her safely to town. Of course he turns out to be her knight in shining armour. Much hot sex ensues over the following week.

That's until she learns he is the property developer trying to shut down her best friend's archaeology site in order to build holiday apartments on it. On top of that, he's a playboy multi-millionaire who discards women like chewing gum once they've lost their flavour. So it kinda goes from immediate distrust to hot sex to total loathing.

It's resolving the loathing part I need to figure out... Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I hate this type of story for the most part. Very rarely does it work for me, as a reader.

I once read a book where the MCs hated each other. I mean, really couldn't stand each other. They didn't even seem to have sexual chemistry at all. And then their friends tried to set them up and suddenly they're getting married and love each other? Uh, no. No. Just no.

Love is not an off and on switch. It builds up.

So in answer to your question, first you need your enemies to respect each other. Then love can grow from there.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
So in answer to your question, first you need your enemies to respect each other. Then love can grow from there.

This, I think is important in an enemies to lovers scenario.

But I do disagree with Kallithrix. IMO, if the 'hatred' is really a misunderstanding or similar then it really isn't hatred to begin with, and I roll my eyes at these scenarios. They usually seem such cop outs. So easy, so lazy. I like romances where the protagonists have excellent reasons to despise each other to begin with, where one of them (or both) really hate the other and there is no easy fix. How they get from that place to loving each other is the journey I want to read. But I'm skewered and twisted. ;)

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reccomendations!

(I've already read the first Scarlet book and loved it. I'm a huge sucker for retold fairytales and an even bigger sucker for slow-burning romances. :D)

I suppose my main problem is that my heroes don't like, trust, or respect each other. There's immediate sexual attraction; respect kind of... grows over time, and with the respect comes affection. It's hard to do disrespect without making both characters seem like assholes.

If they actually hate each other, there is a problem. Either the hatred is valid, in which case it's hard to have them get over it without making them seem cold and shallow, or it is based on a misunderstanding, in which case having them persist in it makes them really stupid. Tricky.

You know, I feel the same way. But at the same time -- one my favorite series, Captive Prince, has two utterly awful main characters who hate each other for totally valid reasons, and yet both volumes sit dog-eared on my nightstand.

Marie K

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found all your posts interesting. I'm facing a similar dilemma but I kind of built mine in reverse. My MC meet in a psychiatric ward (don't ask LOL). Heroine tried to commit suicide. Hero was arrested in an alley behind a bar and has retrograde amnesia.

They end up helping each other, even escape from the hospital together. There's definite chemistry, but now (Start of Act II) my hero just remembered who he is, and turns out, the heroine is supposed to be his hostage. Not a friend.

It will definitely make the middle interesting LOL

Any advice is welcome.

Marie

Marie K

Registered
Reaction score
That's until she learns he is the property developer trying to shut down her best friend's archaeology site in order to build holiday apartments on it. On top of that, he's a playboy multi-millionaire who discards women like chewing gum once they've lost their flavour. So it kinda goes from immediate distrust to hot sex to total loathing.

It's resolving the loathing part I need to figure out... Hmmm.

Kalli, this story sounds fun, and it could work if the characters evolve and change. The hero in particular. Maybe your heroine is the archeologist, instead of it being her friend. Maybe she can get the hero involved and get him to care about the importance of the site she's working on. And something about her has to keep him interested in 'her'. Maybe she's the one who discards him, and that throws him, so he ends up chasing her.

In short, if you develop these characters, you'll find your solution.

CharlieLyons

Registered
Reaction score
Enemies to lovers books I've read:
"Hawksong" by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Romeo & Juliet kind of story with shape shifter blood feud).
"Catch-a-mate" by Gena Showalter, though it is the kind of trope Jules Court mentioned.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll assume the position for a flogging because it is SOOOOO not a book, but my first thought was "You've Got Mail." They "hated" each other because they were on opposite sides of an issue. Neither was right or wrong, and both were right and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.