Where to publish a great personal essay?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
A while back I wrote a great personal essay. Some magazines expressed interest, but nothing came out of it. I've dusted it off now since I think it's pretty good and am having trouble looking for magazines that might publish it for money (I'd rather not publish it for free). It's not funny/happy or practical, which limits the realm. It's about 1300 words.
I've pored over lists I have of magazines and literary journals, but nothing seems to fit the bill. I'm guessing there's not much a market for something like this.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and best wishes:)
Sarah

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
What's the essay about? Look for magazines whose audience will be able to relate to the subject matter.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Like fov said, can you give us an idea what it's about? Also, what markets you've already subbed to?

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
If it's not funny/happy or practical, what is it exactly? Once you narrow it down and define it, you may be able to find a market.

With what you're giving us, it's really hard to say. Most magazines don't just publish "great personal essays." Who's the target market? That will help you decide where to look -- and help us help you.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi guys, thanks for your help:) This is a serious essay about how when I was 11 my mom moved to Israel, bringing me, strongly against my will (no, she had no "practical" reason) and the affect this had on my life, with a slant on "look what religion did to me." I've been told it's quite good.