I seem doomed to have to print it out multiple times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardenbird

Registered
Reaction score
So, I get a story to where I think I'll just print it out to proofread, and instead I have edits in nearly every paragraph.

How can it look so different on paper than the computer screen? How come I can't see these edits on the screen?

Does anyone else encounter this?

When I wrote mostly shorts, it wasn't so much of a problem. Now, with a novel in the works, I'm seeing myself purchasing reams of paper. I'm currently printing two-pages per side, double sided, so I get four manuscript pages on one sheet; but still, it's going to use a lot of paper...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might try this: Change the view to reading layout, and make the pages about the size of a book page. Sometimes just seeing the words and paragraphs in a differently arrangement can help.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I buy recycled paper or paper from eco-friendly papers (not recycled, but trees that are replanted after being harvested). I print a ton, so I do this a lot.

I also make the font smaller and switch my margins to .5 and print single-spaced, which can cut the number of pages by quite a bit. My most recent printout only used something like 80 sheets as I did it front and back as well, and that's an almost 100k novel.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For some of us, like me, there is no substitute for reading on paper, because reading on screen causes eye-strain and leads to the eyes skipping a lot of minute content. But yeah, it's both bad for the earth and bad for our bank accounts to do it more than once per draft, at most.

I rough draft by hand, then type text into the working manuscript file. I make extensive use of auto-correction tools. I read aloud from the screen. For drafts, I print double-sided or on the clean side of used sheets.

I use environment-friendly papers - recycled and/or renewable fiber content both for handwriting and printing.

And to save money when I need to print out a full MS draft, I often find that taking the file on disk to a copy/print shop to print out is cheaper than the cost of ink for my home ink-jet printer.

Ideally, I try not to print out the full MS more than twice -- three times at most.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
As for printer costs--I bought a cheap laser on clearance and it's amazing how much money you save. It only does black and white, but if you're someone like me who prints a lot, it's definitely worth the investment. I was having to spend almost $50 per draft before on ink. Now I can print something like 2000 pages before the cartridge needs changing, and refurbished cartridges can be bought for cheap online.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
I have that problem. I prefer to have a printout for editing, but it's not a very cost effective method. Changing the layout has been beneficial for me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
So, I get a story to where I think I'll just print it out to proofread, and instead I have edits in nearly every paragraph.

How can it look so different on paper than the computer screen? How come I can't see these edits on the screen?

Does anyone else encounter this?

When I wrote mostly shorts, it wasn't so much of a problem. Now, with a novel in the works, I'm seeing myself purchasing reams of paper. I'm currently printing two-pages per side, double sided, so I get four manuscript pages on one sheet; but still, it's going to use a lot of paper...

I don't know whether it's a matter of practice, a mindset, or just an inherent skill. Some people need to print to edit, some do not.

Printing a novel length manuscript just to edit it seems like a horrible waste of time and money to me, but you do what you need to do.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always do a paper edit as well as a screen one. I also read aloud. Your eyes get so used to seeing things a certain way that changing format will make errors jump out at you.

And you aren't being too hard on yourself. Agents will be twice as critical so polish, polish, and polish some more.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I also have a little live talk program that reads out loud my work. It's a cheap way to go and I can close my eyes and listen to it being read. It helps with the flow and voice of stuff.

(Shadsoft speak is name of the program I use.)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to edit on screen. I do produce one reading copy of a draft, printed to look as much like a book as possible: non-MS font (so, not Courier or TNR -- I like Georgia), single spaced, justified, two columns per landscape page.

Reading aloud is also a great trick for finding errors and unpleasant prose rhythm/repetitious sentence structures.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey AB,

Try downloading cutepdf. That way you can print a pdf copy of your MS and, although it's still on the computer screen, it looks different from print preview etc.

Regards

Whacko

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Following Alleycat's suggestion above, doing a ctrl A and changing the font style might give you the fresh pair of eyes you need to see things differently.

I used to write everything long hand, and I just couldn't compose at the keyboard. But then I got used to it but had to print everything out in order to edit it. Now I can edit on screen, and I even do editing and proofreading professionally completely electronically. I do print some things out, but not everything. My point is the human mind is amazing and can be taught to do almost anything if you're patient and keep at it. I'm willing to bet that one year from now you won't have this problem.

As for paper, I raid the recycling bin at work, making sure there is nothing confidential on the printed side.

ardenbird

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers! I'm trying swapping the font around a bunch. That seems to help -- in fact, it felt the most like printed in Comic Sans (???). Perhaps it's just difference that I respond to, not paper.

I'm revising a bunch of shorts before I go back over my novel, so I'll see if I can figure out a more efficient method with the 2K items before I move onto the 100K...

Status
Not open for further replies.